Are you good at math?

Options

Replies

• newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm more of an accounting nerd as opposed to algebra and whatnot

But i love numbers :o)

I hate numbers. I only like equations with letters in them :P To me numbers are usually C....some arbitrary constant :P

Being in the home stretch of school i am THRILLED to start my last accounting course tomorrow. I hate theory courses... too much *kitten* to remember... numbers don't lie and there's nothing to explain further or give multiple examples. haha

you can manipulate numbers and make then say what you want but they don't lie.

I liked my math course too though. I think i just like being able to figure stuff out!
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    was really good at school and wanted to go and do something maths based at university.........but I hated school...so didn't.

I have since.

I grew up and now use a calculator...
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    <-- has B.S. in math. Completed 48 hours of master's and Ph.D. level math coursework for my doctorate.

^^^^ My definition of hell.

However, I was a teachers assistant as work experience in high school and college, and I got to mark essays. :love:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've got a degree in Civil Engineering and am working on a masters in Materials Engineering.
    I can def solve a system :)

Another Civil Engineer here. I can solve anything that doesn't exceed a value of 20 (or 10 if I am wearing boots).
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I heart ordinary differential equations <3

I :heart: PDE's too. :)
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I married a Software Engineer...I don't have to do math. :)

Man is there ever a lot of software engineers who run from math. I never understood people who took an interest in algorithms but hated calculus?

my husband loves it all. math, science.... he wants to go back to school to become a physicist. I have my own sheldon cooper.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Math and I have agreed to disagree and went our separate ways years ago...
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooove math that makes things happen. By itself it sucks. But seeing it create something useful is awesome.

I'm an Accounting major! Learning Calculus and Business Statistics next semester. Should be pretty cool as all the classes will blend together. :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    oye can beer what comes after beer. i'm good at that.

hint: it's beer +1

It's counting in German!!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I do complex algebraic equations during relations to try and last longer. Sadly, I never finish the problem. :blushing:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm an electrical engineer and I used to teach calculus. I pretty much remember all the calculus I learned, single and multivariable. I remember linear equations pretty well and differential equations. The only math I probably forgot a lot of was probability.
  • SSSLLLX3
    SSSLLLX3 Posts: 22
    Options
    Borrowed this from a FB friend:

Here's a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

5 cents :)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    math is evil O.o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFZ_1xCrIQ (can skip to 2min)
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options

Here's a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

see this is what i'm talking about! how is it 5 and not 10cent? -,-
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Me. I'm a math nerd.
    It's funny ... I can do complex equations but I still have to think hard about my multiplication facts. I just hated the thought of memorizing those stupid things!

That's totally me - well maybe not going as far as to say I was a math nerd. I do love math and I am good at it, but I could never work in a numbers job :noway:
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

If the ball cost 10cents then the bat would cost $1.10 which means the total would be $1.20.

The ball costs 5cents which would make the bat $1.05 so the total is $1.10.

Oh and I too enjoy math and learning new and more difficult variations of it. I only studied up to Calculus I in college but I'm going to continue to pursue it.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I heart ordinary differential equations <3

I :heart: PDE's too. :)
    Omg how could I forget. <3

To the engineers: how can you truely say you are good at math if your constantly rounding to 3 sig figs :laugh: (I kid)
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options

If the ball was 10c then the bat would have to be $1.10 which would make the total cost $1.20.
    x(bat) +y(ball) = 1.10
    x = y+1
    replace x with the y formula: y +1 +y = 1.10
    combine like items: 2y +1 = 1.10
    isolate the varible: 2y = 1.10-1
    Do the math: 2y = .10
    Reduce to get the answer: y = .05

Ok, maybe I do rank up there with the math nerds :tongue:
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love math! Calculus was my favorite class in high school, and I plan on taking tons of math courses in college next year :)
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I balance the checkbook every month, does that count?

I keep a cheat sheet for my trig formulas in my calculator. After that I have a few reference books in my toolbox to do a few other things. I am always told to utilize programmers at work since that is their job and they have the necessary CAD/CAM software to spit out programs. Unfortunately, most times, I can whip a program out myself quicker than these programmers that have expensive software backing them up. I don't think I am THAT great so it must be something on their end.