Are you good at math?

Options

Replies

• alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm actually awesome at math. But the 8s times table stumps me.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was once very good at math. That was 15 years ago. Need to dust that part of the brain off since I am going back to school and will need to take some advanced math classes.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm the one who circles X and says "here it is" if the problem is asking me to find X...... :embarassed:

X marks the spot ;)

or this
    elephant.jpg

LMFAO!!!!!
  • jlebert716
    jlebert716 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am and engineer, so I can definitely handle some algebra.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I loooove math, but never took anything beyond statistics because I didn't have to for my degree and I'm lazy. No calculus for me! Though part of me thinks I'd really enjoy it...

Calculus turned me from pre-med to a math major. I love calculus. Now I teach it. :)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Math? What's that?
    Its what a tree says: gee, I'm a tree!
    -wooly whatz it from teddy ruxpen
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I love math. I've been known to do it for entertainment.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can barely do addition lol
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    math is a glorious universal language that is incredibly useful. From simple household budgets to taxes to investing to modeling the migration of a release of gasoline into a drinking water aquifer, math is THE TOOL for solving problems. I wish I could do it better, but I understand how things get done.

And even if you think you are not a math whiz or mathematically inclined, if you can catch a fly ball or a frisbee, you are doing visual calculus in your head, so give yourself some credit!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm an Engineer. The kind that has a license to practice engineering (not the kind that drives a train :smile: ).

I took 3 semesters of Calculus, plus Differential Equations, Linear Systems, Prob/Stats and

I can do complex algebra in my head & have actually lost the ability to explain to someone else how to do it.

The problem is that in storing away all that knowledge, I've lost most of my childhood memories. I think it occurred on the sixth week of my Junior year at Mines, during either Dynamics or Fluid Mechanics. There was a sudden pinch below my left ear, and at that instant, I forgot the fourth grade altogether. The brain has a limited capacity; I exceeded it that day.
  • torylinnangel
    Options
    The last math class I took was AP Calculus AB. I failed because the teacher was a total @ss. I asked him for help and he told me I was too dumb to be in his class and told me to drop it. I probably would have passed it if I wasn't so worried about pleasing the fuggly @ss !itch... (sorry about the rant...)
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I married a Software Engineer...I don't have to do math. :)

Man is there ever a lot of software engineers who run from math. I never understood people who took an interest in algorithms but hated calculus?

my husband loves it all. math, science.... he wants to go back to school to become a physicist. I have my own sheldon cooper.

I'm just a couple of semesters shy of a physics degree. I was a junior when I left school because I was having a baby and the 1hr drive was too much for me. The university where I live now said that I can start back with Calc 3 and my remaining physics classes even though its been 8 years. Kind of scary thinking of diving straight back into something like Calc 3 after so long with no practice.

Anyways, I love math and science.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm passable at math. I'm pretty sure my math teacher would be horrified to learn I ended up in banking :noway:
  • Leadcommander
    Leadcommander Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5c
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm a software developer and never have need to use more math than I learned in grade 10. Programming is not always math oriented.In grade 12 I could solve calculus problems in my head and got accused of cheating. never needed to use calculus since then
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    I understand the logic & rules of math, but I have dyscalculia, so the actual numbers get all jumbled up in my brain unless I'm staring at them on paper. Sometimes even then it's a struggle. I'm envious of all you math nerds, but I'll stick to letters that just spell words, thanks. ;)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Borrowed this from a FB friend:

Here's a simple arithmetic question: A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

5 cents :)

see this is what i'm talking about! how is it 5 and not 10cent? -,-

If the ball was 10c then the bat would have to be $1.10 which would make the total cost $1.20.
    x(bat) +y(ball) = 1.10
    x = y+1
    replace x with the y formula: y +1 +y = 1.10
    combine like items: 2y +1 = 1.10
    isolate the varible: 2y = 1.10-1
    Do the math: 2y = .10
    Reduce to get the answer: y = .05

Ok, maybe I do rank up there with the math nerds :tongue:

Math is stupid, and this is the exact reason why…
    p.s. I'm going back to school and currently have 90% in both chem and bio, ended up with 65% in advanced functions. Math is balls, and makes NO SENSE!
    p.p.s. I actually applaud people who understand formulas, and the such.

I think he made it more complicated than it had to be. No need for a second variable :D

110 = x + (x+100)

110 = 2x +100

10 = 2x

x = 5

(where x is the price of the ball)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have numerical dyslexia :(

Thank god for calculators and excel :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    The last math class I took was AP Calculus AB. I failed because the teacher was a total @ss. I asked him for help and he told me I was too dumb to be in his class and told me to drop it. I probably would have passed it if I wasn't so worried about pleasing the fuggly @ss !itch... (sorry about the rant...)

You still have text books and the internet :flowerforyou:

Even when the teacher or professor sucks, he/she isnt the only resource
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've never been good at math, especially when it came to stuff like Algebra. I'm a visual person and numbers just weren't visual. The only class I ever aced was geometry. Not only because it was more visual but because the teacher was my Aunt. If ever I had problems, I just had to call her. Plus, she made the class fun. We did more craft projects concerning lessons than I remember doing in grade school.

My mother wasn't good at math either but since she went to work as a secretary and later into credit management she learned it along the way. I still can't convert units, some multiplication I forget, I can't figure out an angle by eying it, and I can't even count change and bills correctly without needing to check it several times. Hell I keep rulers all over the house to figure out what someone's talking about when they say something's 6 inches or so many centimeters or whatever.