Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Additionally, isolated snapshots of what happens post-meal intake are not nearly as relevant to what happens over the course of longer periods of time.
    I haven't found a longer one yet, but the 6-8 hours covered in that isn't exactly an immediate post meal situation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The insulin response to fat is virtually zero, the response to protein much less than to carbs. So less hormone regulating storage and less / no glucose flux from digestion to cope with.

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html
  • angieface123
    Options
    I've never really counted carbs, but for me i eat all my carbs in the morning that way you have the rest of the day to burn off the calories
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins for a little while, limiting my carbs to under 20 a day. I found it very good for weight loss. I lost around 23lbs in about 7 weeks.

Only problems I had with it was in the first week, headaches, lack of energy, "Atkins flu". After the first week I had tons of energy, never felt hungry, and the weight melted off.

I did gain a little back by going back to my old ways of eating. Would I do it again? Sure, it worked. One major issue most people seem to find is it is a real pain when eating out, and you really have to like meat.

This! I did Atkins as well, after South Beach(I did better on South Beach) but I found it too easy to gain the weight back when I got a little lax. Now I count calories and move, I can actually have a beer without jumping up 3- 5 pounds on the scale.

Of course no matter what woe you choose you have to be vigilant, I still limit the sugar, white flour and potatoes if I can and I mostly go for whole grain with regard to bread or pasta. I do however appreciate that if I feel for something I can have it providing it fits into my day :)

Whatever works for you is what you should do! Just keep it healthy!!
  • yarwell
    Options
    the 5 low carb foods there have the lowest glucose AUC and are in the low end of the insulin AUC results too. Peanuts win the day.

Where's the cream and other fatty stuff though ?
  • CarlaDye
    CarlaDye Posts: 17
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs doing low carb (not Adkins low). My body loves carbs and very efficiently stores them as fat. I've done 30%carbs, 50%protein and 20%fat for a year now. I get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables. I do find that I need more carbs and fat on days where I have intense exercise.

I do occasionally crave carbs but peanut butter on high fiber muti grain bread usually takes care of it. I find I dont really miss potatos, pasta, rice and bread. I do treat myself to cake, cookies, pie and candy during birthdays, family picnics and holidays but I plan for it.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that your graphic has anything to do with fat storage?
    The glucose flux into storage goes into fat if glycogen stores are full. The insulin response to the elevated blood sugar inhibits lipolysis.
    And what makes you think that an isocaloric meal with a different macronutrient composition would be any different concerning lipolysis/lipogenesis?
    The insulin response to fat is virtually zero, the response to protein much less than to carbs. So less hormone regulating storage and less / no glucose flux from digestion to cope with.
    You can store fat without insulin.
  • Acg67
    Options
    the 5 low carb foods there have the lowest glucose AUC and are in the low end of the insulin AUC results too. Peanuts win the day.

Where's the cream and other fatty stuff though ?

Did you look at the results of things like eggs, cheese, beef and fish?
  • yarwell
    Options
    dandona%2Bcasein.jpg
    Protein only and cream responses. Neither have elevated glucose.
  • Acg67
    Options
    dandona%2Bcasein.jpg
    Protein only and cream responses. Neither have elevated glucose.
    The insulin response to fat is virtually zero, the response to protein much less than to carbs.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Holy crap there's tables on graphs in this post! Eating should not be this complicated! IMO - everything in moderation is the most sustainable way to go. Any diet too extreme is not gonna work for the long haul for most people. Plus my world would crumble if I had to restrict my beloved carbs!!!!!

There are a lot of wonderful tasty delicious foods out there....learn moderation, master willpower... and you can enjoy them all!!!!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb despite being very skeptical at the start, and I've been pleasantly surprised. However, I don't think lowering carbs by itself is what's working for me. I think its just that I'm now paying attention to what I eat and trying to eat healthy. In the past, I could easily make a meal out of pasta or potatoes, where as now I'm eating lean meat and veggies instead. Plus, now that I keep the carbs to a minimum, I don't crave them like I used to. Especially when it comes to the 'bad' ones like white flour and sugar. And after doing without those things for several weeks, I'm finding a new appreciation for natural foods. Eating an orange is suddenly like eating desert! Its just sooo sweet! Its like I've cleansed my palate or something! :smile:
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    People tolerate carb differently.
    [/quote]

^^THIS!!! I find that if I keep my carbs under 100g/day and consume carbs mostly from vegetables and such, I feel much better (i.e no bloating, no spike in my blood sugar, not feeling hungry soon after a meal, etc.)

I did feel crappy the first 3days until my body adjusted to all that junk removal, but now I feel great! I find that if I eat more carbs I will feel sluggish.
  • yarwell
    Options
    S0007114510001911_fig2p.gif
    Different proteins generate different response, but the insulin has been and gone within as little as 60 minutes up to 3 or 4 hrs. Meals with 11g carbs, 5g fat, 50g protein.

The acute effects of four protein meals on insulin, glucose, appetite and energy intake in lean men
    Sebely Pala1 c1 and Vanessa Ellisa1
    a1 School of Public Health, Curtin Health Innovation Research Institute, ATN Centre for Metabolic Fitness, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia

British Journal of Nutrition (2010), 104 : pp 1241-1248 Copyright © The Authors 2010 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0007114510001911 (About DOI) Published
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The glucose flux into storage goes into fat if glycogen stores are full.

DNL never occurs in a caloric deficit. I like how you keep ignoring that.

The insulin response to the elevated blood sugar inhibits lipolysis.

Lipolysis is always inhibited in the post-prandial state. 24hour energy balance is all that is relevant.

S0007114510001911_fig2p.gif
    Different proteins generate different response, but the insulin has been and gone within as little as 60 minutes up to 3 or 4 hrs. Meals with 11g carbs, 5g fat, 50g protein.

Under 300 calories.

Now lets look at the raw data from your original chart:
    five healthy nondiabetic volunteers (threefemales,two males,aged36±5yr,range20-46yr, weight 69±8 kg)..

After a 2-h equilibration period,a mixed meal containing 10kcal/kg was ingested(0time) and entirely consumed within 15 min. The meal calories were partitioned sothat 45% of total calories were given as a dextrose solution..

Over twice the number of calories consumed results in a longer period of time before glucose levels return to baseline.

Shocking.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Did you look at the results of things like eggs, cheese, beef and fish?
    I did, they were my five low carb foods.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Over twice the number of calories consumed results in a longer period of time before glucose levels return to baseline.
    Not glucose, insulin. Check the axis.

Granted the studies that I found at random aren't the same dose, but there's no glucose in beef or eggs so the problem of a big glucose dump into the bloodstream doesn't arise.
  • yarwell
    Options
    I agree it's all about the 24h cycle, but if in that 24h cycle there are three carb meals of 70g each I'm not seeing many hours in the day when lipolysis can thrive. Carb eaters only lose weight when asleep ?
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    I'm just going to keep quoting this until you get it through your skull:
    DNL never occurs in a caloric deficit. I like how you keep ignoring that.
  • LesterBlackstone
    Options
    I agree it's all about the 24h cycle, but if in that 24h cycle there are three carb meals of 70g each I'm not seeing many hours in the day when lipolysis can thrive. Carb eaters only lose weight when asleep ?

Stop taliking nonsense.