Coffee

Options
What is your opinion on coffee when dieting? Is it good for the metabolism? Bad due to caffeine levels? Curb hunger pangs? Cause hunger pangs?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in seeing the different opinions on this topic. It's always been such a controversy with coffee, some say it's good for you, some say it's bad for you.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    It curbs hunger for me, I drink skinny lattes, made with slimline milk, and there's hardly any cals in it. That or just a normal instant coffee with slimline milk x
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I drink a pot a day. With nothing added its a nice treat you can have as much as you want of without hurting your weightloss........
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Interested to see the comments on this...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You will have to pry the coffee out of my cold, dead hands. I am not giving it up willingly and asking me to do so could result in bodily harm.

In all seriousness, I've been drinking coffee (with flavored creamer) all along and I've lost 56lbs and kept it off for 2 years.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I only have one cup a day. I like mine with french vanilla in it and I'm careful with measuring the creamer. It's my morning pick me up. I could give it up but really don't want to. I enjoy it. I don't think there are really all that many calories in the coffee to make a difference....it's the creamer and sugar that kills it. :drinker:
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You will have to pry the coffee out of my cold, dead hands. I am not giving it up willingly and asking me to do so could result in bodily harm.

In all seriousness, I've been drinking coffee (with flavored creamer) all along and I've lost 56lbs and kept it off for 2 years.
    I love my french vanilla!!!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I pretty much drink 2-3 cups a day with only 1 teaspoon of sugar free creamer. It helps control hunger. I have cut down a lot though. Before I started MFP I would drink coffee and tea all through out the day and never drink any water, which was probably why I was getting headaches so much, that and my high sodium intake at that time.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Do you like coffee? If yes, drink. If no, don't. It doesn't affect my appetite at all and I have 2 big cups every morning but I do drink it black. If you drink it, black, with sugar, with milk/cream/non-dairy crap creamers, just log it and nothing will explode.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee before I go on my runs in the morning. It's a great pick me up as has many health benefits. :drinker:
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I live on coffee... YUM!!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I drink it strong, plain and black. If you add all the sweet, whipped cream, chocolate, whatever sugar crap......well, then apparently you don't like coffee; you just like sugar. So drink it plain or just add a bit of milk.

In addition, drinking coffee on an empty stomach is a bad idea. Want an explanation? Google it. c:
  • Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    I like coffee ~ but not plain. IF I have it, it's the early morning ~ so there is plenty of time to burn off the cream I like in it. :) Sometimes you have to make a plan work around ONE thing ~ coffee is my vice. It's a "ritual" almost!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I only drink it occasionally now, since before my fitness journey I would drink it with baileys

I did drink some iced coffee over the weekend with skim milk ....it was delicious, hubby drinks a lot so its always around and when it smells really good I'll drink some :-)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Personally I love my coffee and I won't give up my cup of strong espresso each morning. I very rarely drink it later in the day or it can prevent me from having a good night's sleep. I think everything in moderation is OK and that goes for caffeine too.

I wouldn't say it helps or hampers my weight loss efforts but I know I feel really awful for about a week if I try to give it up (very bad headaches). So I gave up giving it up :bigsmile:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee EVERYDAY whether it's hot or iced, regular or decaf, black or with cream. I have never had an issue with dieting and coffee. The only thing is sometimes it makes me pee too much.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 cups a day with Splenda and 2% Evaporated Milk. It tastes wonderful and gives me 16% of my daily calcium. Before MFP I drank at work and used the non dairy flavored coffee creamers.

I usually wake up hungry, so yes, this stops my hunger pains until breakfast.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I should add that I wash my coffee down with a zero carb red bull. and then that gets washed down with another coffee....
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I count my strong black unsweetened coffee towards my 8 drinks a day, in fact it makes up most of it. :)
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I read it was a good thing, let me find the article.