How tacky is this? Vow Renewal / Giant Party

Options

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not tacky at all! If I were a family member or a friend of yours, I'd be excited that you were finally able to celebrate being married and renewing your vows.

My sister's fiance ended up getting orders to deploy. They got married by a JOP and were out of country a couple of weeks later. She goes back and forth on it, but I really hope she has a vow renewal ceremony & reception or at least a celebration for it. (If she doesn't, I might just throw it for her.) I've had other family members ask if anything will be done. They're not due back for a long while, but I'm determined to make sure it happens.

If people think it's tacky, who cares? I imagine your family and close friends will be as happy for you as my family will be for my sister. Congratulations. :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Live YOUR life!!! Party and get all funked up!!!
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    It's not tacky? I've know lots of people to do this , especially if they couldn't have a big wedding for whatever reason or have been married for a really long time and want to publically declare their love again. I think it's a nice way to celebrate and remember your marriage. I really don't see anything tacky or unusual about it.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    tacky... not at all, but is def annoying for the guest not all but people like me who hate going to those kinda events once is bad but twice is just a pain in my a**
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Why would that be tacky? I've seen a lot of vow renewals. Sometimes, they are more beautiful than an actual wedding, because it's awesome that people still want to do that after so many years of marriage. :)

Go for it.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Definitely NOT tacky. Enjoy.
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Then tell them to STAY HOME!!! You celebrate YOUR life, YOUR way!
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Quick Background :

Hubby and I were supposed to get married in February 2007. Three weeks beffore the wedding, our daughter needed emergency heart surgery. We canceled the wedding with just 2 weeks to go. We didn't want to get married if she was dead, dying, or in the hospital. A few weeks later, we had a quickie no-guests-legal marriage. No one sent gifts or checks. We didn't register anywhere. We told everyone we'd have the reception during the summer.

Almost five years have gone by - for a long time, our daughter was too sick for us to think about throwing a party. People are STILL asking us when we get to have our " wedding ". Now that our anniversary is approaching, we have been thinking about doing a vow renewal / giant party.... basically a night of dinner and dancing.

No wedding dress. No wedding party. No gifts. Just a 10 minute " ceremony " where we exchange public vows, then a fancy, formal dinner & dancing, degenerating into drunken splendor.

Someone told me that it's tacky to have any sort of anniversary party, reception, vow renewal, etc. We aren't doing this as a re-do. We aren't asking for gifts. All we are asking is that our friends / family get to celebrate with us.

Thoughts?

My wedding gift to you:

Step 1: Stop giving a *kitten* what people think.
    Step 2: Repeat Step 1.

Now go party.

Listen to GC - man has smarts!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    The ones who think it tacky?
    Make sure to exclude them when invitations go out.
    ENJOY YOUR PARTY!:drinker:
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Have the renewal and the party. It's not tacky. Get everyone together to celebrate and share your happiness. Anyone that thinks it is tacky doesn't need to be invited!

Enjoy!
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No, it's not tacky.... Otherwise you wouldn't have people celebrating their 25th anniversaries with parties and such. If you include registry information on the invites, THAT'S tacky.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Not tacky at all!! It sounds like a beautiful thing to do. Have fun, live, laugh, love and enjoy the heck out of yourself!! :flowerforyou:
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I also think it's a wonderful idea! If the two of you are happy, that's all that matters... Congrats!! :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    That is NOT tacky...it's sweet! Whomever things it is tacky should simply not be invited!
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    "Someone told me that it's tacky to have any sort of anniversary party, reception, vow renewal, etc."

1. Rip up their ^^^^^^ invite.

2. Party like rock stars.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. The people who think it's tacky don't have to go to this event if they feel that way. Especially since you never had the big day to begin with, you should treat yourself!:drinker:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Is it tacky to celebrate a marriage that has already been through a lot and has cemented into a grand foundation for the years to come?

Tacky to be patient in waiting for a celebration you denied yourself for your daughter's sake?

Tacky to celebrate in a way that you like with no obligation to your guests?

Or is it tacky for someone to voice an opinion about all this and take a big ol pee on your well deserved parade? Buy that person a mirror.
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    Not tacky at all! Sounds like you just want family and friends to share in your joy. I say START PLANNING! :drinker: I don't drink so that's a mug of cold water there... :bigsmile:
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Definetly not Tacky, Throw yourselves a huge Anniversary party, renew your vowels and let the guests decide if they want to bring a gift...... I wouldn't mention gifts in the invite one way or the other they are adults allow them to decide. Get drunk enjoy the day with your familty and friends, ( well the get drunk part should come after the renewal ! )
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Whoever said it was tacky is, well, tacky. Even when a couple hasn't had circumstances there is no reason not to have an anniversary party or a vow renewal. You two had lots of stuff going on and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the party you didn't have.

If the tacky person doesn't want to come then no loss to you. Enjoy your party, you deserve it.