How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    29, 31, 33, 35. I'm 37 now. I only met my husband when I was 26. I'm glad I had a chance to go to university (a couple of times!), travel, and to experience life as an adult before settling down and having kids.
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was 20 with my first and 23 with my second, it wasn't always easy financially because we were just starting out. Now I'm 39, my kids are pretty much grown/self sufficient and I can afford and have the freedom to do what I like while I'm still young enough to enjoy it. But everyone is different, you'll know when the time is right for you.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I think you are better to wait than to end up resenting your children if you have them before you are ready. If you are ready then go ahead and be the best Mum you are capable of being. 15, 16, 17.....30. 40. 50...don't let society tell you when to have kids, do what is right for you and you will be happy.
    I'd love another one.........if I could be assured I'd only get 1!
  • Kishsa27
    Kishsa27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 6 year old. I had my daughter at 21. I say wait as long as you can and wait until you are financially stable and can afford a child. In my experience so far, once you start breaking even with your bills, rent and income, your child grows an inch and you have to scramble to get them a new wardrobe. It is worth it and I love being a mom and having the special bond that I share with my child but honestly if my ex didn't get me pregnant then I don't think I would have ever thought I was ready to have a child because it is a lifetime commitment and it forced me to grow up very quickly.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    My advice as a too young mother is to wait until your ready! I adore my children but missed out on so much. Do it when you know it's right. That way you have no regret or resentment. Kids are a blessing and when your ready, you can appreciate them so much more.
  • Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    I was 22 when I had my son.
    My mom was 23 when she had me.
    My dad was 17 when I was born.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    26 when i had my son, 27 when i had my daughter , 31 with my second daughter. I am very happy with when i had my kids... my husband and I made sure that we had done what we wanted to do before we had our first - and that we were ready for the expense (no one is really fully ready, but some people keep putting it off saying they dont have all this money... if its important you will find the money and make adjustments... youd be surprised at how creative you can be, or at how much money you waste on truly unnecessary things)... and now, with our 3rd being 3 months old, its a whole new ball game thats just as fun, just in a different way :) . The spacing of my kids is fairly close together compared to some, but they really enjoy each other and we have fun. I do find that I have missed some points even now early in their childhood between working full time and keeping up with 3 of them... but I try to really pay attention and remember to notice the younger years...
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I had my first child when I was 17 :)
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    bump*
  • mckaylaandshawnsmama
    Options
    I was a month away from 26 with my daughter but I wish I would have waited but not for the reason you think, I wish I would have had her with my son's father and not her own. with my son I was 27 1/ 2. I wish we could have had more time before we had a baby but having him, well having both my kids helped me get it together and his dad and I both grew up quick. We have a great life but my daughter isn't with us. Her father was a bad man and abused her and nothing I did was good enough to get her back so she was adopted by a nice cpl who love her very much. That's why I wish I would have had her with her lil brother's daddy.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    first at 27, second at 30 and last at 41 - no grandkids yet
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I got married when I was 23 and had my daughter at 26. In my opinion I would have waited longer to get married more than anything. I don't know why i was in the rush that I was....
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Daughter three days after i turned 30 and my wife was 29
    Son when i was 31 and a month or so after my wife turned 31
    ???? will be born when i'm 33 and my wife is 32

ya we had our kids close together because my wife didn't want to be an old mom. I personally didn't care my age because i was just happy to finally have kids.
  • usmcmotort
    usmcmotort Posts: 16
    Options
    Got married when we were 21, had our first child at 23, then our 2nd at 27. Awesome experience (well i'm the dad so it was awesome for me to watch...not sure if my wife would say the same, she had them naturally).

We'll try for another one at 30 and that'll be it.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    All of you have helped me SO much....I didn't know I'd get so many replies. The reassurance that I shouldn't be popping out kids right now is nice....makes me not feel so lame for being the only woman my age not pregnant. Right now we have our kitties, and that's perfect :)
  • sensationallysassyt
    Options
    I'm 29 no babies yet~ I've been married for over 5 years and I've been pressured by family & friends however WE are having the time of our lives right now~ traveling and enjoying each other~ well that is when he's not DH~ Anywho I plan to wait till i'm about 31-32 or well into my Master's Degree program~}....I don't want to become resentful that's why I shall WAIT!:drinker: :drinker:
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I was 18 :)
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Got married at 30 years old. Had our first of four girls when I was 31. My wife was 26.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
  • sadielankford
    sadielankford Posts: 17 Member
    Options