How often does everyone weigh themselves?

Options
I was just wondering how often everyone weighs themselves. I weigh myself daily to help stay focused. Many people say you should only weigh yourself weekly, but I find I lose motivation if I don't remind myself of my goal each day. i just read an article in my local newspaper which argues both ways. The consenses was it is motivating in the initial weigh lose time period but de-motivating in the long tem. What do you think?

Replies

• juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I don't get up and weigh myself, I don't feel on track. I only weigh in weekly. It's just part of my morning routine now. Not demotivating for me at all. I am doing a slow life change and picking up good habits- like weighing every morning to remember not to eat crap all day.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible.. I weigh before bed and when I wake up in the morning. LOL I agree with you about
    keeping me motivated.. I like the daily reminder.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do it every morning first thing. Helps keep me on track.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, sometimes twice if I don't like what the scale said the first time. I try not to do it more than that or I will get discouraged.. I want the scale to move down EVERY time I get on it.
  • Keltinator
    Keltinator Posts: 265
    Options
    Every other week for me. I also take measurements every other week, too.
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I weigh myself every day the normal fluctuations bum me out. I just do it once a week when I take all of my measurements.
  • Gingeeee
    Gingeeee Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, I use to weigh myself just like you are doing and I think that is a big mistake. I became a prisoner to the scale, I felt like I was dragging the scale around with me all day everyday. I dont think its good to weigh yourself everyday. I think its sets one up to fail. Just my opinion but I actually had to stop weighing myself so much. Now, I only weight once a month. Thats works alot better for me and then I dont go around upset just because I gained a pound in a week, because that does happen as your body fluctuates everyday as far as water and depending on the food you eat. Most people probably weigh once a week but that didnt work for me. Good luck with your journey.
  • amandager
    amandager Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible.. I weigh before bed and when I wake up in the morning. LOL I agree with you about
    keeping me motivated.. I like the daily reminder.

I'm the same way! Haha. Right now it lets me know where I'm at and helps me stay accountable. As I get closer to my goal weight when I know things will slow down I will go to once a week and eventually just get rid of it.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to keep me on track, however, I only take it to heart and "officially" count it once a week.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I track weight weekly and it's not a stressful thing. When I follow MFP recommendations all is well.
    I never failed, but at first I needed to tweak my settings, calorie burn rates and food intake to find that zone.
    After that, every week I either maintained or lost a pound or so.
    In 2 years I lost over 70 lbs.
    No stress!
  • 70moretogo
    70moretogo Posts: 25
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday as well. I find it helps me to stay on target, motivated, and helps me adjust my workouts or eating on a daily basis. I just try not to let it discourage me if the scale does not change or goes up a pound. But that is not easy either. For right now, the weighing everyday has helped me personally.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I lose motivation if I don't weigh every day. I think I will start doing it again! Keeps me focused on my goals.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    In the morning when my tummys empty and at night before bed.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I would weigh hourly if I could, but since I weigh myself naked, it might be a little embarrassing at work.
    I'm not a slave to the scale, I just like to see what different foods and exercise do to affect my weight, and wealth.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself as little as possible. I know I am losing inches and I am working out hard. I HATE my scale and my scale HATES me. It's evil. LOL
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Every 43 minutes
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Right now, I do it daily, just to see if anything has changed. But, I'm not trying to lose (breastfeeding) so it's not a big deal for me to not see change. When I was trying to lose before I got pregnant I would weigh 1-2 times a week.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I found doing it once a week I cheated on myself. If I do it every day, then I know OH NO, tomorrow is gonna not be a great weigh in. I actually log it 1 time a week on MFP.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Monthly. I lose weight so slowly, that it's discouraging to see the scale barely move on a daily or weekly basis. I figure if I'm keeping track of my food (and doing the best I can each day), the scale eventually cooperates!
  • aorozco4
    aorozco4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I water retain a lot, especially when I start running and working out a lot so I do sometimes get very discouraged when it goes up but then I drink a lot of water and the next day it's down a couple pounds. It's whatever works for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!