how do people react to being overweight in your country?

Options
12346»

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It's very common for people to be overweight in the United States, however, it is frowned upon by a lot of people at the same time. When I was fat nobody said anything to my face but co-workers and family members definitely said things behind my back. Most of these people were fat also! In my experience, it's okay for YOU to be fat but nobody else, Talk about double standards here!
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I live in Arkansas (originally from Oklahoma) USA and it just depends on a persons definition of "fat." I had many people tell me I was beautiful, fat, unhealthy, etc when I weighed 265lbs. Now I'm gorgeous, to skinny, sexy, etc at 175lbs. I've come to realize that people won't be happy with your weight b/c they're not happy with theirs. They've all starred, laughed, pointed, gawked, and made any and all facial expressions to me at both weights. I don't care. I live to be me.

Live to be your happy and healthy weight. :-D If you're happy with where you are then be happy and let others be miserable at their weight.

Sara
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm in the United States - specifically Oregon. it can really vary from region to region here but in my hometown (Portland! Woot!) there are a LOT of healthy people, but there are also a lot of people who of the opinion that you "come as you are", and if you are yourself, you will be accepted.

That's not always followed. But it's a theory some have.
    I'm overweight. Not hugely overweight, but I've got a lot more curve than I would like. For here, I'm about average. Strong girls are usually what are beautiful here, but so are skinny, super-curvy or short. Everyone has their desired size, though. There are a lot of fit people here, and that is what I aim to be. Fit. Not skinny - just a healthy weight that my Dr approves of and fit for hiking or outdoorsy stuff.

I visitied Taipei for work and I felt like a total FREAK. I was huge compared to everyone else (i'm 5'7). But i was SO different, I just went with it. There was no way my body would get that thin ever. I'm mostly Russian, German and French.
    Body image is so hard. I'd say, continue to love your body if you loved it in Serbia!
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's very common for people to be overweight in the United States, however, it is frowned upon by a lot of people at the same time. When I was fat nobody said anything to my face but co-workers and family members definitely said things behind my back. Most of these people were fat also! In my experience, it's okay for YOU to be fat but nobody else, Talk about double standards here!

SO True.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I live in Oklahoma - right in the middle of the Bible Belt - and eating is practically it's own sport here. Obesity is not out of the ordinary in the least, but I wouldn't say it's acceptable. I'm in my mid-twenties, and I already have many friends whose parents have had strokes and/or heart attacks. Very sad.

PS- I'm SO not looking to start a debate, but I saw this the other day and it gave me a chuckle due to lots of judgmental people full of excuses living here: "Oklahoma - where being gay is a choice, but being obese is "genetics".

I live in Oklahoma, and I'm a little stressed about the obesity problem here. My wife and I went to the Warren theater in Moore, Oklahoma, and I saw several groups of people standing around, and each of their stomachs protruded out so far that it looked like a competition. Being obese is more of the norm instead of the exception. When I walk into Crest Foods, a popular grocery chain in Oklahoma, it scares me when I'm the skinniest person in the store. I've walked into that store, and on some occasions, everybody wobbles when they walk. I had to do some business in Muskogee, Oklahoma last week, and I didn't see one normal-sized person. I'm not making fun of chunky people, but I can't help but notice the death of our society. It's like being on a sinking ship, and all I have left in me is to flail about wildly in the hopes that I can save a few.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Original Post
    "Are you confused or something? I live in South Carolina here in the U.S. and obesity is completely frowned upon. People say fat all the time, everywhere here in the U.S. You don't see famous +sized models or overweight people being called "hot" in the media. It's frowned upon, but is definitely a norm here. Junk food is "food" to a lot of Americans, and the cheapest foods are always the unhealthiest. For families on a budget trying to support a lot of children it's honestly hard to give your kids the proper nutritious meals they need. Childrens Menu's in restaraunts are a dead give away, even if you're eating Italian, the Childrens Menu will have cheeseburgers, fries, fried chicken etc... nothing healthy, just something that kids are supposed to eat apparently. It seems that junk food is an American love. The Brits aren't too far behind nowadays, though.

It's pathetic and I have no respect for parents who allow their children to have such bad diets, a child should never be able to choose what they eat, they can't make the right decisions for themselves."

You are obviously not a parent so you shouldn't be commenting on how people raise their children. When you become a parent let's hear your views on the subject. I hate it when people make judgements about others parenting like they are an expert on the subject having never raised one. Children should never be allowed to choose what they eat?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Any child is of course going to pick unhealthy things but it's the parents job to "control" how much and often they eat those things. My kids can choose what they want to eat but they have to have a veggie with every meal. Also as an overweight person(a lot overweight) I have chosen to make changes because I don't want my children seeing that this is normal or the right way to eat. I have never been one to stay in resturants I do cooking at home but it's all in what you cook and portion control our portion sizes in America are SO out of wack. I have started cooking alot healthier at home and while my kids still get the chicken nuggets, corn dogs and stuff I cook them at home and they have 4 chicken nuggets, green beans and corn on the cob as a meal. The majority of the time we eat grilled or baked meats with two veggies and my kids aren't overweight. I don't judge other parents but I do know that allot of the decisions other make for their children have NEVER been ones I'd make for my own.(even as an overweight person)
    Just be careful of some of the statements you made in your orginial post because until you have parented a child you have NO IDEA what your talking about.
    Angel
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I live in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada... Most people know that Canadians are most polite than most. We have a lot of overweight people here and its not uncommon to see morbidly obese people in scooters. However, we don't normally say anything about it. I used to be 170ish pounds and that was pretty average (I'm 5'8), but when I was pregnant and for a while after I was anywhere between 280 and 260lbs and nobody would dare point it out. Its very rare for someone to be rude enough to say something.

There are a lot of us here, but it is very rarely pointed out, it's somewhat more accepted, but it's definitely still judged (just less commented on).

Edit: I lived in FL for about a year, the panhandle, and comparatively there are more obese people in that area and it is more accepted there than here (unless you're a teen, lol. Kids and adults its fine, but not a teen.)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I live in Romania at the moment and it's...kinda ehhh. No one really cares if you're fat, but people WILL tell you you are fat/skinny/whatevers with no emotion whatsoever, they will not gloss over your feelings about it. I've lost about 30 pounds since I started working at my school, I remember the cleaning lady once told me I was "short and round" with a smile on her face the whole time...and since I've lost weight I've gotten a mixture of concern/surprise/happiness depending on who tells me, but everyone has noticed. There are fat and skinny people here (way fewer fat people than the US though) and it is generally easier if you are on the skinnier side of things.

Interesting thread!!

My husband is from Turkey, and the Turks react the same way. They are very blunt and will say "you have gotten fat." And not mean it in a hurtful way, just as a matter-of-fact. Luckily they've never said this to me (yet) but it is something I have noticed! Big difference from the US, as calling someone overweight to their face here would be considered rude.
  • AgapeLove7
    AgapeLove7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    well.. chubby women have a harder time getting married because the guys like "skinny young ladies/girl"
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well.. chubby women have a harder time getting married because the guys like "skinny young ladies/girl"

Not so. My worker and I say that if we were combined we'd be the perfect woman. She's chubby and I'm bony, and no one looks at either of us.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Everyone in the US is fat.
    Pretty much this. Being overweight is honestly the norm.

Honestly, i cannot imagine living in such a country.
    The average size of the American woman is a size 14 at 5'4" (please don't slay me to find statisitcs...I know I read them somewhere, but who knows where...). And It might actually be bigger at this point because I know my stats are based on something I read about 6 years ago. I think it also said the average American male is 5'11" and 180 pounds. For once I am happy to say I am below average. :wink: (For size, not height...)
  • AgapeLove7
    AgapeLove7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I meant in my culture
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I meant in my culture
    In mine it's usually the opposite, no one wants to marry a "skeleton". :huh:
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I live in Kentucky. Being overweight is the norm.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    it's so interesting to read all these posts :)