How do I stop eating 6,000 calories??

Options

Replies

• led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I did too! It is an eye opener, but that many is absurd!

This comment is totally rude, judgmental, and unnecessary. GTFO.
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    This has to be a joke, who eats over 5,000!calories??
    I do :/
    Then again I intentionally do it, because I'm desperately trying to gain weight. It's freaking hard to get that much food in, how someone can casually do it is mind boggling.

To the OP. I say decrease calories to 3000 a day AND do some sort of cardio every day.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice.

If it matters, I am 188 lbs and my goal is to be less jiggly. I guess that could happen at 140 lbs. =)

ha you don't weigh that much. If you always eat like this you should cut down to 5,000 or so, that's a weight loss of 2lbs a week.
    You post a lot of good stuff but I'm not sure I understand this one.

If she is eating 6000 and cuts to 5000 per day, sure that is a 2 pound loss per day according to the math. But isn't that assuming that 6000 per day has her maintaining and not gaining? Seems more likely to me that 6000 is way over her TDEE and that dropping to 5000 won't actually result in a loss, only a slower gain.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice.

If it matters, I am 188 lbs and my goal is to be less jiggly. I guess that could happen at 140 lbs. =)

I expected you to be much heavier eating 6000 cals!!
    I am 196, and lose 1.5 a week on 2000 ish cals.

Was the 1500 for a loss of 2lbs?
    As you lose weight you need to adjust your goal.
    To start with a small reduction of say 2000 is good until you get used to eating better.
    Then work your cals down until you hit whatever mfp gives you for a 1.5 loss.
    When you get down to 25lbs to go change to 1lbs
    When you get to around 10 to go change to 0.5lbs.

Each 0.5 lb change to your goal will give you another 250 cals.

If you don't exercise already, you should start. Heavy weights combined with light cardio is the best for reducing body fat.

Look up the eat more to weigh less group, or helloitsdans post 'in place of a roadmap', they explain a lot about how many calories you should take in and why :-)
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    probably want to go slowly with the calorie reduction as you get into a habit of eating differently

a few things you might want to increase
    Eggs - 1 Fried Egg, 1 egg 70
    Save-on-Foods - Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast, 6 slices 180
    Mayo Kraft - Light Mayonnaise, 2 Tbsp. 90
    Maille - Old Style Whole Grain Dijon Mustard, 3 teaspoon (5g) 30
    Fresh - Romaine Lettuce , 1 leaves (85g) 2
    Generic - Tomato Slice, 2 Slice 8
    Diet Dr Pepper - 591 Ml Bottle (Canada), 591 ml 0
    Generic Raw - Pear, 1 medium 52
    Western Family - Spaghetti Noodles, 170 g or 1 cup cooked 600
    Classico (Canada) - Sweet Basil Marinara, 250 mL (1/2 cup) 140
    Generic - Grilled Prawns, 1 cup cooked 280

a few things you might want to cut back on:
    Save on Foods - White Hamburger Buns, 1 Bun 180
    Oil - Vegetable, canola, 1 tsp 40
    Save on Foods - Medium Cheddar Cheese, 2 oz 240
    Western Family - Thick Sliced Bacon, 2 slices 270
    Dairyland - Coffee Cream 18% M.g., 2 tbsp 60
    Dairyland - Milk 2 Go - Chocolate, 1 container (2 cups ea.) 320
    Save on Foods - Medium Cheddar Cheese, 1 oz 120
    Dairyland - Coffee Cream 18% M.g., 2 tbsp 60
    Sugar - Granulated, White (1 Teaspoon), 2 teaspoon 30
    Western Family (Save on Foods) - Garlic Bread, 4 Slices (50 grams) 400

things you might want to replace with veggi stick snacks and fruit.:

Sleeman's - Honey Brown Lager, 36 oz Bottle 540
    Tim Horton's - Chocolate Chip Cookie, 2 cookie 460
    Cheese - Mini Babybel Original, 21 g 70
    M&M - Peanut Butter M&Ms, 1.5 oz (42g/about 1/4 cup) 220
    M&M's Brand - Peanut M&Ms (Canada), 1/4 cup (40 g) 210
    Grocery Store Brand - Lemon Loaf Cake, 1 Slice 130
    Doritos - Nacho Chips, 50 g 250

replace

Thick Sliced Bacon with a few more eggs
    Coffee Cream 18% M.g., with 2% (use lots to start and slowly derease the amount you use.)
    Sugar - Granulated, White switch to artifical sweetener)
    Garlic Bread, 4 Slices Large salad
    replace chocolate milk with white milk .
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Some people eat Low Carb - I say cut out all the noodles, breads, chips and crappy carbs.....stick with the protein, nuts, veggies and cheese....way better then processed stuff.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You post a lot of good stuff but I'm not sure I understand this one.

If she is eating 6000 and cuts to 5000 per day, sure that is a 2 pound loss per day according to the math. But isn't that assuming that 6000 per day has her maintaining and not gaining? Seems more likely to me that 6000 is way over her TDEE and that dropping to 5000 won't actually result in a loss, only a slower gain.

I'm with you there - dont understand the logic of that post Pu. I understand slowly dropping cals to get your body used to the change gradually, but it shouldn't result in fat loss at those levels. There will likely be some water loss if the diet is healthier, but not fat loss.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Look up the eat more to weigh less group, or helloitsdans post 'in place of a roadmap', they explain a lot about how many calories you should take in and why :-)

Good call, that's a great place to start for those who need to figure out how it's done.

PBpanda, here is the link, check out the first post (it's filled with everything you need to know):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should concentrate on your eating behaviour and the calories will fall off automatically.

The chocolate milk, doritos and snacks alone exceed the calorie target you are contemplating.

"Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating" by Gillian Riley from Amazon or http://www.eatingless.com/ has helped a friend of mine. Management by measurement is one approach, as used here on MFP, but getting your mind around the self control issues is also important.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Start with making smart changes that don’t deprive you of what you want, but are wiser in the long run. Your bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with coffee and chocolate milk was 1210 calories day. That was nearly your whole day…try this instead:
    Orowheat sandwich thins instead of hamburger bun – 100 calories
    1 Egg poached instead of fried – 70 calories
    Sargento ultra Thins cheddar cheese (1 slice) – 45 calories
    Jenny O Turkey Bacon (2 slices) – 80 calories
    Coffee (this was fine)
    Fat Free half and half (2 Tbsp)– 30 calories
    Splenda or stevia (1 tsp) – 0 calories
    Silk Chocolate Almond Milk (1 cup in a grab and go container) – 120 calories
    Total Calories: 445 calories. That is a savings of 765 calories!

Now lunch, instead of the turkey/bacon/cheese sandwich and chips that you had for 1272 calories, try this:
    Sliced Smoked Turkey Breast (3 slices) – 90 calories
    Light Mayo (1 Tbsp) – 45 calories
    Dijon Mustard (1 tsp) – 10 calories
    Romaine and tomato  - 10 calories
    Veggie Straws/Chips (40 straws) – 120 calories
    Pear  - 52 calories
    Diet Dr Pepper – okay, but try crystal light instead if you can
    Coffee (this was fine)
    This is 582 calories – a savings of 690 calories

Now for dinner…you had three times the serving of spaghetti noodles and a total calorie count of 1960 calories. Try this instead:
    Spaghetti Noodles (2 oz) – 200 calories
    Marinara (1/4 cup) – 140 calories
    Steamed Broccoli (1 cup) – 30 calories
    Grilled Prawns (1 cup) – 280 calories
    Garlic Bread (1 slice) – 100 calories
    Garden Salad (2 cups) – 60 calories
    Light Italian Dressing (2 Tbsp) – 35 calories
    Honey Brown lager (12 oz) – 180 calories
    1025 calories for a savings of 935 calories

For snacks which totaled 1302 calories:
    100 calorie chips ahoy snack pack – 100 calories
    Babybel cheese – 70 calories
    Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds (1 oz) – 150 calories
    Air Popped Popcorn (2 cups) – 160 calories
    Banana – 112 calories
    Juice Box – 100 calories
    Lemon Loaf Cake – 130 calories
    822 calories for a savings of 480 calories.

With the revisions, you go from 5744 calories to 2874 calories. You are still high, but from there, you can start making other changes too…less sweets, more veggies, etc. Hope this helps!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did 1200 net until my first goal (meaning I ate my exercize calories too), and now I net 1300 a day. I'll stay there until I meet my second goal and start to heavy lift.

I looked at your diary - some specific alternatives are as follows: (I agree that you may want to try maintenence calories a few days before going to losing weight calories) :

Meal 1 - Instead of a 180 cal white hamburger bun try a 100 calorie whole grain sandwich round or 110 calorie whole grain bagel...you'll feel full longer and its' fewer clories. Try egg whites or egg substitute instead. You don't need the oil, just a nonstick pan will do. Get 2% cheese and use much less or learn to love the laughing cow cheese wedges of 35 calories. Cut down the cream in your coffee in half, so it's at least something less, and consider a natural sweetener for your coffee (stevia) for example. Chocolate milk- just...don't. You can alternate a chocolate flavored am protein shake....for tomorrows breakfast.

Meal 2 - Same comment on the bun. Try turkey bacon, tofu bacon, or forget the bacon (Most days...of course I have splurge days I'm just a vegetarian) My husband allows himself bacon 1 time a week (or sausage) Same comment as above on cheese except the cool thing about laughing cow is it's creamy so you can kill the cheese off AND the 'light' mayo in the same product! Try adding pickles, or pepperocini's for flavor! (low cal but high sodium). Same comment on coffee, and doritos...those are definately a splurge day activity. If I have to I'll have baked lays but generally my sides are nuts, kozy shack pudding, yogurt (non high sugar and non aspartame get off my back peeps about the aspartame I'm allergic), fruit, veggies, a salad...something to help you feel full that you wont eat too many of.

Meal 3 - Spaghetti - try a whole wheat/grain or <insert substittue or addition here> to help you feel full. There are tofu noodles full of protein and low on calories (see hungry girl recipies) or just something that will break down more slowly and help you feel full longer. Instead of 4 slices of pre made garlic bread that is white try 2 pieces of bread whole grain and do the garlic butter part yourself to get fewer calories on them. Beer of that calorie level is a splurge day for sure...corona light 100 calories :)

Meal 4 - I am all for chocolate at the end of the night, EVERY NIGHT :) but 2 cookies is 1 too many. Did you enter the M and M's twice? Either way you'll need to find a substitute for this sweet fest...I reccomend a 170 calorie rasberry luna bar - my evening chocolate with protein of choice. Protein to help you not feel so hungry and chocolate to hold off the chocolate craving. Have it with coffee every night as a 'closer' and teach your body that coffee and treat means time to no longer eat. If you need to have juice try crystal lite pure - no artificial sweeteners and only 30 calories for a packet that makes me 3 glasses. Sweetened with sugar and stevia. However, the more sugar you have the more you'll want...

Try entereing your calories a day ahead of time...then you'll know "If I eat this then I will be X calories over" "If I eat this then not only will I not lose weight I will gain weight".
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    ..I would reduce the least amount possible to get the results you want. No need to go down to 1500 if going down to 3k will do. What's the rate at which you've gained weight? Reduce accordingly so you're losing weight slowly instead.

The switches a few people mentioned were great. Making good substitutions, filling up on more more more veggies, and just counting will do the trick. Definitely don't go down to 1500 if you don't have to, though.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Start with making smart changes that don’t deprive you of what you want, but are wiser in the long run. Your bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with coffee and chocolate milk was 1210 calories day. That was nearly your whole day…try this instead:
    Coffee (this was fine)

Now lunch, instead of the turkey/bacon/cheese sandwich and chips that you had for 1272 calories, try this:
    Pear  - 52 calories
    Coffee (this was fine)

Now for dinner…you had three times the serving of spaghetti noodles and a total calorie count of 1960 calories. Try this instead:

Banana – 112 calories
    Juice Box – 100 calories

With the revisions, you go from 5744 calories to 2874 calories. You are still high, but from there, you can start making other changes too…less sweets, more veggies, etc. Hope this helps!

Wow you listed out the calorie savings with your suggestions, I was lazier, you're awesome!! :)
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the others in this tread that say cut down 1000-2000 calories a day. If this really is a normal day for you you'll probably see weight loss already by going to 4500 calories. That won't last though, as your body adapts to your new calorie intake you'll need to drop lower, until you drop under the 2000 mark.

The good thing is that this'll be rather easy for you to begin with. Looking at your day yesterday you could drop:
    - Tim Horton's - Chocolate Chip Cookie, 2 cookie 460
    - Sleeman's - Honey Brown Lager, 36 oz Bottle 540

And change
    to
    1 thin slice of bacon for about 90 calories.

Just these changes will save you 460+540+2*180 = 1360 calories a day.

Work from there. Find healthy alternatives for what you're eating. Try wholegrain bread instead of a white hamburger bun. Eat am apple instead of two helpings of M&M's (saves another 300 calories). There's a whole lot of change possible in your diet without it being painful. Start with that. Try and get your intake down to a more normal number before you try to go down to 1530.

Actually, that 1530 is based on how much you want to loose per week. But you don't need to stick to that one. On the long run as long as you don't go above 2000 you'll loose weight. Try that first.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Wow you listed out the calorie savings with your suggestions, I was lazier, you're awesome!! :)

Thanks, but it really wasn't much of a big deal...they are foods that I eat fairly regularly (not all the time), but I knew most of the calorie counts by heart. :tongue:
  • Lam75
    Lam75 Posts: 72
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day and sometimes MFP yells at me as I am below this and not hungry. I am eating more fruit and veggies. The main change I have made is that we no longer buy biscuits (cookies for US folks), crisps (chips for US folks) or sweets. I used to buy a pack of small chocolate bars with the idea that they could be occasional treats but would eat them all within a day so simpler just to pretend that aisle in the supermarket isn't there.

I now look at labels before I eat as before I would eat, then feel guilty then think sod it might as well finish the day off badly and eat everything else. I have tried all sorts of diets before and not been able to stick to them; this is working for me at the moment. I was horrified on Sunday, we went to Tesco cafe for lunch as the gym cafe was being used for a private party, Not one healthy option on offer, ended up with a cheese and onion toastie for 330 cals and a smoothie. Before doing this I would have had the toastie, probably a coke and cake (tiny cupcake was 480 cals!) but I stopped a moment and thought about it.

Most important things I have learned in my battle against the weight - eat regularly, log everything, eat loads of veggies and drink plenty of water and most important if you go wrong, no guilt, carry on from where you fell off. Also this is a long journey, I used to be mad at 1lb a week but now I am ok with that, I try to look at the bigger picture. Weigh in once a week rather than dancing on and off the scales every hour expecting a pound to have miraculously vanished.

Good luck on your journey, little steps all add up. If I can do it - anyone can!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Use chopsticks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Best advice in this whole thread
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Coffee (this was fine)

Pear  - 52 calories
    Coffee (this was fine)

Banana – 112 calories
    Juice Box – 100 calories

Sweet! nice job.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Try Cereal for breakfast - an instant saving of 1000 cals. I bake my own treats and freeze them - Peanut Butter and Choc Chip cookies for 144 cals - Sweet treats you can factor in so you don't feel deprived
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Use chopsticks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Best advice in this whole thread

I'm a chopstick pro and can shovel food in like nobody's business with them. This might work for a chopstick newbie though.