Cursive Writing

darkknightfan
darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
Fox news just had a segement about Cursive writing .. The discussion was about the consideration of REMOVING teaching cursive writing to our children ... On the premise that the way technology is now a days (texting , tablets , laptops etc) how often do our children actually sit down and write something long hand like that other than in school ... Is the time spent teaching them this skill wasted and better used elsewhere? Personally I feel that it is a skill that should remain.. There are plenty of times where a handwritten letter is FAR more appropriate than something formal and typed ...

Thoughts ??

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    I think as long as they can sign their name - cursive signatures are still and will always be important. The rest, nope, everything needs to be printed or typed.

they should spend more time on spelling and grammar!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Honestly? I haven't written proper cursive in YEARS. My longhand is a mixture of cursive and "regular" writing. I honestly don't think I'd be able to sit down and write the alphabet in proper cursive. I rarely send hand written letters and if I do it's definitely not cursive.

I think it's a waste of time.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    I'm split on this issue. Because when I "hand write" a letter...my own handwriting is a mixture of cursive and print. A lot of people's handwriting becomes a mix of the two I think. That said, my children have been learning it, and, when I have to help, I have to think about how those darned cursive letters are written.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 1,799 Member
    We can stop teaching them math while we're at it since we have calculators and all that.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    We can stop teaching them math while we're at it since we have calculators and all that.
    I still use an abacus.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    they've already stopped teaching it in my area.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    this is hard for me to wrap my head around. i mean, not teaching a kid to write cursive sounds ridiculous, but if i think about it, they really don't need it all that often, and even now - when I write things out, i usually print and not cursive.

that said, does a kid need to know cursive to read cursive? I mean, there are some historical documents written in cursive that i would want my chile to be able to read and not rely on a "translation" from cursive to print.
  • darkknightfan
    this is hard for me to wrap my head around. i mean, not teaching a kid to write cursive sounds ridiculous, but if i think about it, they really don't need it all that often, and even now - when I write things out, i usually print and not cursive.

that said, does a kid need to know cursive to read cursive? I mean, there are some historical documents written in cursive that i would want my chile to be able to read and not rely on a "translation" from cursive to print.

that was one of the arguements for keeping it "in" .. The vast majority of our nations historical documents are hand written......will something be lost if the skill isnt being taught ?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    The only thing that needs to be written in cursive is your signature...
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    I write about 95% in cursive, seems easier/faster to me.

I know my daughter loved learning how to read/write it too.

If the school didn't teach her how to do it I would have taught her myself. When she gets older she'll need to know how to sign her name on legal documents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I still think that there are "personal" touches that signify us and cursive writing is one of them. Don't spend hours and hours on it, but teaching my daughter to write a personal message in a card in cursive is still worth it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sbernardy
    sbernardy Posts: 188
    I still use Cursive when I write my husband love notes!! :love: :blushing:
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Nooo way! They should definitely keep teaching it. Even if you don't write proper cursive, it's still useful. When writing notes in university and everyday at work, I need to write as fast as I can and printing doesn't cut it. It's good to incorporate cursive into your writing in my opinion. It makes you so much faster. I always felt bad for kids in university who couldn't keep up in writing notes and I think practicing cursive makes you faster.
  • darkknightfan
    I still use Cursive when I write my husband love notes!! :love: :blushing:

^^^ is one of the examples I thought of when i said that there are still plenty of occassions where a hand written letter is more appropriate than something typed..

Really we could take the same mentality with art class , music class or alot of the other extra-curriculars
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    my children learned cursive in 4th grade. i remember learning it in 2nd.
    they will not be required to use it, as long as they can read it.

it's pretty pointless. i never use it.
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    When I'm drunk, I don't slur my speech... I speak cursive!
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    I use cursive lettering to bring out some words in my signs. That's pretty much it though. That said, kid's start reading it and kinda working it out for themselves at a really young age. I think, if push come to shove, they could read cursive even if they never learned it.
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    That word is starting to sound really weird now cursive, cursive, cursive ... see what I mean.

Personally I think it's a waste of time. People don't know how to write in calligraphy anymore yet we've seemed to evolve just fine.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    My handwriting is absolutely horrific. I failed it in 5th grade. However, I think kids need to learn cursive so that they are able to sign things. Most documents still require a signature in cursive.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I think it's ridiculous. What about when they have to write essays? They'll take the time for form each letter (let's face it-cursive is faster because it runs together) and do the whole thing in print??? That's exactly what my daughter had to do for her FCAT test (the absolutely ridiculous test for FL students).

My 12 and 14 year old daughters were not taught cursive, so some places have already eliminated it. And no, they don't know how to do a signature, because THEY WERE NEVER TAUGHT CURSIVE. Signatures are in CURSIVE!

Ludicrous, I say....