Skydiving...Have you done it?

Options

Replies

• AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I want to skydive but i need to lose a big more weight before I will be allowed I think.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would love to see it (I love flying for that reason), but I'm an extremely anxious person. Flying is enough for me to handle, freefalling... I think I'd be the first person to have a panic attack while skydiving, lmao.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Skydiving is one of the reasons I want to lose this extra weight...our closes skydiving center wants me at a lean and mean 230. So I'm thinking August timeframe right around for my birthday! I'll scream like a little girl but I'm jumping.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    This is on my bucket list!!! I sooooo want to go - Glad you got to and enjoyed it!
  • kmillar1224
    kmillar1224 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    YEEEEEES!!! Best experience EVER!! For anyone thinking about going, DO IT!! For those of you who want to, but are scared - DO IT ANYWAY.

No words can describe what it is like to float through the air like a bird - the sheer calmness offset by complete excitement is unreal.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was paid to do it, a long time ago, but not for sport.
  • theMIDDLE
    theMIDDLE Posts: 64
    Options
    IMAG0799.jpg
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Lots of static jumps while in the Army but, never a free fall.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was too cheap to pay for the in-air photos haha, but here's one my friend took before I jumped (I was first! eek!):

336705_10150280666863733_7875827_o.jpg

I jumped in rain, definitely do NOT recommend lol, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    GREAT PHOTO!!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I went and watched two friends of mine jump last fall. I walked in there saying, there is no way I'd ever jump out of a perfectly good airplane. I walked out with a brochure and a plan. When I meet my goal weight, not the weight I am allowed to jump at, but my goal weight I'm doing it. I will probably be scared to death and want to back out twenty times, but I WILL DO IT!!!! :sick:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    no need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane

Funny, I keep thinking of "stories". This "perfectly good airplane" thing is one of those things you hear ninety times a day when you are a skydiver.

My story:

We went up in a C47 at my home DZ, Zephyrhills, FLA. C47s are a lot like DC3s - they hold about 25 jumpers. C47s are old, built around the 1950s - mostly workhorses, and did I mention old? The one at ZHillz was honestly held together with duct tape and spit, but I digress.

Near the open door were three "observers"...mind you, they had no idea what to expect. They weren't jumpers, just people going up for the ride - to observe. There are no seat belts or spare parachutes in jump planes, and no seats, either. Okay. Scene set.

Twenty five or so jumpers all being silly as usual and joking around. You know, because someone might die in twenty minutes, give or take a minute or two. It's about ten minutes into the climb. Someone is peering out the window near the wing. He says to the pilot, "Hey, Charlie, there's a lot of oil or something coming out of the starboard engine..." (C47s have two engines, one on each wing.)

30 sets of eyes look in that direction. Charlies says, "How much is a lot?"

We start quietly putting on our helmets, hats, goggles, gloves. . . . mind you, we're at about 1000 feet - too low to jump under the best conditions, but just fine, thank you, if it's that or go down in flames. This is about where the observers start looking a little deer-in-headlights-ish.

"Quite a bit."

Charlie, "Never mind, I just lost pressure in the engine. Get ready to abort." The right engine is shut down. Now we have a full plane, 1000 feet, 25 jumpers and three observers looking a little squeamish. No seat belts. Pilots have parachutes. They don't know what to think. To be clear, the jumpers were squeamish, too - and at least one of us was standing by the open door ready to bolt.

We all started looking back and forth from Charlie, the engine, the ground, and each other.

Charlie, "I'm going to take it down, you guys need to jump."

NO PROBLEM. That's what we're gonna do. See ya.

The jumpers landed off-airport. It took a while to walk back. I'm glad I had a parachute.

The plane landed just fine on one engine. Two pilots and three observers were uninjured, but rattled.

So much for what started off as a "perfectly good airplane." Well, sorta :wink:
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes from 14000 feet and LOVED every single minute!! There is nothing that compares to it. But it's an expensive hobby lol.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I did it three years ago with my brother and sister-in-law. It was the most exciting thing I've ever done and would love to do it again. The plane ride up freaked me out more than the jump itself. I was pumped. I even got it on video. My brother is scared of heights and he went twice. Lucky him.
  • ebonypixie
    ebonypixie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! What a great weight loss present to yourself! I did my skydive in Slovenia 2 years ago and Ive wanted to get back up there ever since! Best adrenaline rush you will ever experience :) Definately one for everyones bucket list!

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I do not have a picture of my windswept face mid-frefall but I have a dvd that gets the lols everytime I play it!

Great fun!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have been once. It was AMAZING!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    never, EVER,
    I don't like the feeling of falling.

I've been parasailing though, and I liked that.

It's not the height for me, it's the falling.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Though I did a bit of hang gliding in my youth, I just can't fathom jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. :happy:
  • lchovet
    lchovet Posts: 68
    Options
    I've bungeed but never sky dive. I WANT to!! Ilove your pic!
    Funny, I've Skydived but will not bungee Jump.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I still haven't taken the time to figure out posting pics on the forum, but I just changed my profile pic to one of my skydiving pics for this topic.

I went after I lost 30lbs way before my MFP days back in August 2010. It was tandem from 10,000 feet, and I can't wait to do it again. In fact I plan to after I hit my next goal on here.

There is nothing in the world like looking down at the world below you with nothing but the wind between you and the ground.