Ideas on How to Get REAL-LIFE Friends

Options

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going through the SAME thing.
    And we always just end up hanging out by ourselves or with my sister and her husband.

We've hung out with co-workers outside of work here and there but nothing like a "Real" friend.

Mine have all moved away or are still REALLY into the bar scene (they are quite a few years younger and it's just not my thing anymore)

I have no advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone! lol

Exact same issue.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    Yeah, the bar would be GREAT ...if there were some around! That would entail going to one by myself, though. Does anyone do that? Lol

<-- this girl does
    I go to the bar myself all the time. I've met some really cool friends that way, actually.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    The hubby says I am anti-social, but I prefer to think of myself as socially selective. Joking aside, I really do have a hard time making friends, but I may try meetup.com and see what happens.
  • sonomawinesnob1
    Options
    Would suggest taking up a new hobby. Golf perhaps.... I met my best friend on a driving range many years ago and we still talk almost every day.

And swinging a club is good exercise.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I usually walk up to them and slap the....

I kid I kid...

This is how I meet people:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyKdYV6oGi1_x1cuIDY_rSc9vLQhETOK937LGSRC714wvIUPxJqG_LuZwosQ
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are going through the SAME thing.
    And we always just end up hanging out by ourselves or with my sister and her husband.

We've hung out with co-workers outside of work here and there but nothing like a "Real" friend.

Mine have all moved away or are still REALLY into the bar scene (they are quite a few years younger and it's just not my thing anymore)

I have no advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you aren't alone! lol

100% agree. Parenting often times isolate us to not having much friends. Best to enjoy the hubby and I for our date times. I find it very difficult to have close friends due to my healthy lifestyle.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I took a few classes at the local craft store (for things like jewelry making and sewing) and I met some great people.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Wish I had advice for you, I am going through the same thing. All my friends whom I used to hang out with kind of don't mesh with my lifestyle anymore.

You're not alone! If I had the opportunity I would join a gym and become a "regular" at the classes, those women all seem to be friends with common interests.

good luck :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    And a swinging club is good exercise.

If you're into that sort of thing...

:D
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    there is only one answer, get the *kitten* out and start having fun...its the only way...friends follow every time...
  • DayumStraightIAmEllie
    DayumStraightIAmEllie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dog parks are great ways to meet people. Cuz you start talking about your pets, and bam instant friends. Least that is what i am TRYING to do:)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    At your gym maybe? or if there are running or hiking clubs? Go out with your colleagues and meet their friends and steal them:tongue:
  • kbbauchle
    kbbauchle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Meetups are a great idea. You can find them for all kinds of interests. Also, how about a fitness class like zumba or taking a class of some kind like art lessons or dance lessons or whatever. You will probably have to reach out to someone first but in each of these ideas you will have a starting place....something in common.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Meetup.com
    Local running or bike groups if you are into either of those.
    Local book clubs or wine clubs.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I usually walk up to them and slap the....

I kid I kid...

This is how I meet people:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyKdYV6oGi1_x1cuIDY_rSc9vLQhETOK937LGSRC714wvIUPxJqG_LuZwosQ

LMAO! I wonder if that would work for me...maybe they wouldn't notice.
  • AmadaLynn
    AmadaLynn Posts: 116
    Options
    I am so glad I am not alone on this topic!

I literally feel like I have 0 friends.

I have two that are cool, but I am a mom and I need some mommy friends.

Problem is that I hate leaving my kids to do anything personal, I feel guilty.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I really have no advice, but I'm in the same boat as you! So I'm "bumping" this thread for new ideas of how to meet new people!!!
  • GirlTuesday
    Options
    If your town has a chamber of commerce, hook up with them. They usually sponsor "meet ups" or networking events. It's a great way to meet new people right in your area and they even have events to teach you how to network with people. I was recently required to go to one of these events for school (I'm an adult student) and met a few really nice people. The good thing about this type of environment is that mostly everyone is in the same boat as you...the came alone, and are open to meeting and/or networking with new people. Check it out - see if its an option. I hate people, LOL, and I would go again!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    post on MFP where you are from city and state. if someone replies that they are in the same city then maybe you could start working out together and have a new friend!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My 21 year old son is struggling with that right now. His high school friends have girlfriends, full time jobs, etc...and he works almost full time (30-34 hrs wk) and goes to school. He doesn't hang out with them very often anymore, and is frequently home by himself. I can tell he is lonely, and would probably enjoy some company his own age. He is shy, doesn't like going to places alone, and will not initiate conversation with anyone. It's just so hard to get real-life friends nowadays.