Asking a guy out

Options
amandager
amandager Posts: 49 Member
Been out of the dating game for a while... Guys, how do you feel about a woman asking you out? Do you like it, or do you prefer to do the asking? Wanting to ask someone out, but everyone is telling me to wait and let him ask.

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue... everyone tells me "this is 2012.... it is PERFECTLY Acceptable to ask a guy out" ... even all my guy friends say this... but I am too shy and traditional and think that if it is up to me to ask I will be alone forever!!!
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I say go for it! A lot of women ask men out now. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Some guys even enjoy that. Do what you think is right. :)
  • amandager
    Options
    I have the same issue... everyone tells me "this is 2012.... it is PERFECTLY Acceptable to ask a guy out" ... even all my guy friends say this... but I am too shy and traditional and think that if it is up to me to ask I will be alone forever!!!

which is what i want to do, but is it too straight forward? i mean this isn't someone i know, i just met briefly the other day. but everyone i know seems to be saying the opposite and thinking i should wait for him to ask. the hard part is i have to make the first call as i have his number.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

I hear you! I'm the same! I'm 29 and never had a relationship, so it's obvious I suck at trying to ask guys out.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have zero experience...but I'd say if you see someone you like, go for it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For me, down the line, there will be issues if it turns out. It's just a guy thing that the guy asks the girl out. While for a date and a bit of fun, it's cool if the woman does the asking, but if that relationship starts to firm up, I wouldn't like that story being in the family.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    my problem is that I am a single mom of three kids... was in an abusive relationship for almost 11 years... I have been single since 06... and I am kinda ready to date... but part of me thinks... no one will want to put up with all my garbage... and I am afraid of being turned down... plus I am VERY traditional... and I don't feel right!

plus I have NO IDEA what to say to a man I am interested in!!

my 13 year old daughter says the next time we are out and see a cute guy without a ring she is going to ask for his number by saying "my mom is really shy but we think you are cute"... I told her that wasn't cool and I would ground her

for life
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Find a real man. Personally it makes me very suspicious when a girl asks me out, and in general it turns me off. If you like a guy, be flirty and available. That doesn't mean invite yourself to his adventures. It means when he says something like "I just went to BJ bar and grill, they have the most amazing fish taco's." You say something like,"mmm fish taco's I've never been there before". If he likes you he will say something like, "ohh we should go some time." Next time you talk to him(if he hasn't tried to plan it with you) bring it up. If he still doesn't bite, then hes either not that into you, or brain dead and therefor not quality mating material. Also if you like a guy and he does ask you out, but you're not available on day x but you still want to go out you should make a counter offer to go out on day y.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've never asked a guy on a date, maybe one of the only things I'm traditional about. Now if i'm planning on doing something and think they may want to join, then i say something like "hey I'm going to blah blah blah if you want to meet me" . But to me i don't consider that a date.
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Been out of the dating game for a while... Guys, how do you feel about a woman asking you out? Do you like it, or do you prefer to do the asking? Wanting to ask someone out, but everyone is telling me to wait and let him ask.

Ask ask ask. Would be a godsend!!! :sad:
  • Mykaelous
    Options

which is what i want to do, but is it too straight forward? i mean this isn't someone i know, i just met briefly the other day. but everyone i know seems to be saying the opposite and thinking i should wait for him to ask. the hard part is i have to make the first call as i have his number.

Not sure how he didn't get your number esp. if you are interested. I suppose the best thing to do in that case would be to say something like " hey this is X, friday was fun."(if you did something that was fun/interesting) if you got his number from other nefarious ways than don't bother calling cause thats creepy/ desperate.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    women are equal to men.
    if you want something, go after it! (or him!)
  • Mykaelous
    Options
    women are equal to men.
    if you want something, go after it! (or him!)

I must disagree, men and women are not equal. To be equal would be to disavow our individual uniqueness's.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Don't ask the guys here, I'm sure they all have opinions- just do what you want to do. If you have the confidence to ask someone out and he rejects that in any form - he's just saved you some time. Or don't if you don't feel that is more comfortable for you.
    But do what feels best for you, not what you think might meet others expectations or desires.

Waiting for him to ask, asking yourself or playing the games can all work or not.. given the individuals and specific timing/setting.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I must disagree, men and women are not equal. To be equal would be to disavow our individual uniqueness's.

Really? You went there?
    Sigh....
  • amandager
    Options

Really? You went there?
    Sigh....

Agreed
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you like someone then don't be afraid to ask them out, it shouldn't matter if you're a female. I've been asked out before by girls and I personally find it appealing when a woman knows what she wants and goes for it.
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    I've only been asked out a couple times and its always been by girls I dont want....but my sophomore year in highschool I got asked to prom by a senior (my dream girl) and I was soooooooooo happy :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    My word ask, please!! Give us guys a break once in a while. It would be nice to be on the receiving end of the question.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:

If you have his number you kinda have to call him if you're interested. Do that and see what happens.