Asking a guy out

Options

Replies

• Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I am assuming that you have incorrectly identified my contextual use of the word equal. The mere fact that we identify males and females with separate words indicated that there are differences.

Really, the only defense you can come up with is semantic? Yes, men and women are DIFFERENT by their inherent physiology. Try avoiding distinctions of EQUALITY and maybe you won't offend every woman (and quite a few equality-respecting men) on this board.

edit: typo

Is my statement then made false? Also the distinctions between men and women extend far beyond physiology. If one is to admit that the physiology of Males and Females are indeed different, and therefore not equal, biological psychology concludes that the behavioral nature of the individuals would be different as well. The differences between men and women can thereby be extrapolated into nearly every aspect of human experience.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, if you don't ask, it's a no anyway. If you do ask, it's got a chance to be a yes.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I am assuming that you have incorrectly identified my contextual use of the word equal. The mere fact that we identify males and females with separate words indicated that there are differences.

Really, the only defense you can come up with is semantic? Yes, men and women are DIFFERENT by their inherent physiology. Try avoiding distinctions of EQUALITY and maybe you won't offend every woman (and quite a few equality-respecting men) on this board.

Is my statement then made false? Also the distinctions between men and women extend far beyond physiology. If one is to admit that the physiology of Males and Females are indeed different, and therefore not equal, biological psychology concludes that the behavioral nature of the individuals would be different as well. The differences between men and women can thereby be extrapolated into nearly every aspect of human experience.

And from this wordy bs you draw the conclusion that a particular social norm or preference should be generalized to all? Aren't you sort of contradicting yourself on some level? Of course there are psychological differences as well as physiological. Cherry-picking psychobabble is what you've extrapolated, dude.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

When someone says "Men and women are equal," they are referring to the social and legal rights/expectations/obligations of men and women.

Are we all on the same page yet? They are not suggesting that men and women have the same shape/physiology/behaviour/whatever. They are saying that it is not acceptable to base rights and expectations of the sexes on these differences, just as it is not okay to discriminate against any human group based on such differences.

/sigh.
  • Mykaelous
    Options

And from this wordy bs you draw the conclusion that a particular social norm or preference should be generalized to all? Aren't you sort of contradicting yourself on some level? Of course there are psychological differences as well as physiological. Cherry-picking psychobabble is what you've extrapolated, dude.

My generalizations have been made within the context of the subjects being discussed. As the subject has become more specific and detailed so has my generalization. An example of this contextualization via subject of a generalization is as follows. A Mazda Miata may be generalized to be a car within the subject of objects. Within the subject of cars it may be generalized to be a convertibles. Within the subject of convertibles it may be generalized to be a two seat convertible, and so on. A study of semiotics may be advisable in such an endeavor. Women and men are not equal within the context of a heterosexual relationship.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

My generalizations have been made within the context of the subjects being discussed. As the subject has become more specific and detailed so has my generalization. An example of this contextualization via subject of a generalization is as follows. A Mazda Miata may be generalized to be a car within the subject of objects. Within the subject of cars it may be generalized to be a convertibles. Within the subject of convertibles it may be generalized to be a two seat convertible, and so on. A study of semiotics may be advisable in such an endeavor. Women and men are not equal within the context of a heterosexual relationship.

Whoa. Learn to rein it in a little. Someone may have gone off the deep end.
  • Mykaelous
    Options

When someone says "Men and women are equal," they are referring to the social and legal rights/expectations/obligations of men and women.

Are we all on the same page yet? They are not suggesting that men and women have the same shape/physiology/behaviour/whatever. They are saying that it is not acceptable to base rights and expectations of the sexes on these differences, just as it is not okay to discriminate against any human group based on such differences.

/sigh.

Social expectations/obligations of men and women are completely different within the context of a male and female relationship. To put it blunt i expect a woman to have a vagina as I expect a man to have a penis. That is an expectation based on a physiological difference of men and women. The subject of the thread was male-female heterosexual relationship, not universal rights or humanity.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    - while pretending not to notice the big argument going on :frown: -
    Ask him!!! I'd never asked a guy out before but my sister talked me into it, fast-forward and we've been together for 11 years, married for the last 4 and a bit and have 2 beautiful daughters together :happy: it worked for me!!
  • Mykaelous
    Options

It depends on your vantage point, but perhaps the usefulness of my comments have run their course. I bid you all good day ;) and good luck to the poster.
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just asked a boy out today for golf and beers.
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Been out of the dating game for a while... Guys, how do you feel about a woman asking you out? Do you like it, or do you prefer to do the asking? Wanting to ask someone out, but everyone is telling me to wait and let him ask.

I would prefer it because I can be a bit shy at times.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options

It depends on your vantage point, but perhaps the usefulness of my comments have run their course. I bid you all good day ;) and good luck to the poster.

hahahahahahaha - Dude!!!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Social expectations/obligations of men and women are completely different within the context of a male and female relationship. To put it blunt i expect a woman to have a vagina as I expect a man to have a penis. That is an expectation based on a physiological difference of men and women. The subject of the thread was male-female heterosexual relationship, not universal rights or humanity.

Women with penises must blow your feakin' mind. XD
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask. Many men are shy, and life is short... Also, even those that aren't shy appreciate a confident woman. It's very sexy.

It's also about your personality. If you're comfortable doing this, what's the problem?

Good luck.

--Prahasaurus
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised MFP doesn't have a Message Board dedicated to singles. I suppose they don't want this to turn into OKCupid or some other similar site. But my guess is that a lot of people here (not the majority, but still quite a few) chose to improve their health and appearance after a divorce, a break-up, etc. Or just never felt confident enough to get out there and meet someone, until now, thanks to MFP. With improved fitness comes increased confidence, etc., etc.

But on the other hand, I definitely wouldn't want the boards overrun with strange people pretending to exercise just to try to pick up people here. So probably for the best they don't have this feature... Nevermind...

On a completely unrelated note, if there are any attractive women here living in the Czech Republic, please feel free to message me... :-)

--Prahasaurus
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    women are equal to men.
    if you want something, go after it! (or him!)

I must disagree, men and women are not equal. To be equal would be to disavow our individual uniqueness's.
    You do know that equal & identical are not the same thing?.

You can be equal but different.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/equal
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would totally ask a guy out! Why wouldn't you? Men are rubbish at that kind of thing. Most of them really can't read signals at all. Apologies to those few of you who can, but most can't.

I wouldn't in a million years want to be with a guy who thought women shouldn't ask men out.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Of course males and females are different. But different and EQUAL. In the same way that people from different countries or cultures are different and equal.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I say it's perfectly Ok to ask a guy out, however, personally, I prefer to be asked out by the guy. Call me a traditionalist, but that's just me.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

As your writing style devolves, it is clear you're out of your depth.

I have a vagina. My husband has a penis. We are equal in status. We are not the same. You'd have been far better off if you'd left it at an assertion that we are all unique. It appears I misinterpreted your meaning, but it was to you benefit compared to the douchey stuff about non-equality you've said since.

And you're using "generalized" incorrectly.