What does 1500 calories look like

Options

Replies

• DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Here's my contribution to a 1500 calorie day using foods that I've eaten very recently:

Breakfast: Arnold Healthfull Nutty Grain Bread toasted with 1 1/2 Tbsp. Smart Balance Peanut Butter and 1 Tbsp. Smucker's Low Sugar Strawberry Jam (248 calories)
    2012-06-22061616.jpg

Snack #1: Protein Smoothie made with 2 scoops Aria Women's Vanilla Protein Powder, 1/2 c. Silk Light Vanilla, 2Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Ground Flaxseed, 1c. raw kale, 1/2 apple and 1/2 c. water with some crushed ice ( 249 calories)
    2012-06-21080923.jpg

Lunch: Omelet with 2 eggs, 2Tbsp. onion and one mini red pepper and 2 cups chopped spinach sauteed in 1 tsp. canola oil, and 1/4 c. reduced fat Feta cheese (241 calories)
    2012-06-21112249.jpg

Snack #2: 1/2 c. Breakstone's Less Sodium 2% cottage cheese topped with 1/2 c. diced fresh mango (144 calories)
    2012-06-21133803.jpg

Dinner: Shrimp & Broccoli with Penne Pasta, 1/8 of my recipe (360 calories) and 1/2 c. steamed carrots with dill (26 calories)
    2012-06-21175112.jpg

Snack # 3: Life Choice High Protein Bar (210 calories)
    2012-06-21140955.jpg

DAY'S TOTAL = 1478 CALORIES

Let me say that I eat more than this. I aim for around 15% less than my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) each day for a calorie deficit which puts me closer to 2000 calories a day with the exercise I do. That comes in handy for my fat free half- n -half for coffee and a few other extras!

Comment: Darn it! First time I ever tried to use Photobucket and upload pictures and I have no idea why they didn't work. That was a lot of effort for nothing....sorry!
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Those pretzels are awesome and we found them at Wal-Mart and Target. Yum!
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    SORRY........This was my attempt again to post and have my picutes show up. They didn't, so I erased this post. Couldn't figure out how to delete it :(
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    SORRY........This was my attempt again to post and have my picutes show up. They didn't, so I erased this post. Couldn't figure out how to delete it :(

Darn, I wanted to see if I could fix it. Send them to me!
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
  • BeckysWellnessPlan
    Options
    This is a really helpful thread, thanks!
  • schneidersas
    Options
    Real good idea to show how delicious and huge dieting can be :)
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

That's what happened to my pictures the first time I tried to post them! You are probably doing it correct, but photobucket is being stupid. What I had to do was to reupload my photos to photobucket again... and then put the new links in and Ta Da... it worked.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Whitney- I buy these oats at Costco-- Coach's Oats. They're steel cut and quick cooking. http://www.coachsoats.com/

I actually cook up one cup of dry oats then add 2T. flax meal and 2T. berry preserves and split it into 6 (yes, six) small breakfasts. It's around 100 calories/dish, and so I can add a fruit or an egg or some protein powder and I still have a filling (for me) breakfast for under 200 calories. I tried eating double that amount of oatmeal and it was too much but I think the fat level in the flax was the culprit.

Some other filling, nutritious calorie bargains I eat a lot:

Chicpea Cutlets from the Veganomicon cookbook. Around 200 calories each (w/o gravy).
    http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebatch-chickpea-cutlets/

Curried Lentil Soup from Epicurious. Around 200 calories for an 8 oz bowl.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Curried-Lentil-Soup-362489

A steamed artichoke with a dip made from a dollop of sour cream mixed with seasoning, or thinned mayo: around 100 calories

A quinoa salad with black beans, corn and other veggies- 200-300 bowl depending on dressing

All that above is around 1000 calories (and tons of protein, fiber and healthy fats). Add in some snacks like a Healthy Choice frozen fudge bar, some lowfat popcorn, some more fruit, maybe an iced coffee with soy milk... You can get a lot of food and satisfaction and nutrition for 1500 calories.
  • sfuller911
    sfuller911 Posts: 63
    Options
    My work partner and I tear up those Pretzel Crisps with the lower cal Laughing Cow. You cannot beat the flavor/convenience and they are also nice with sugar free preserves on them.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - And very creative.
    I am inspired!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    OP: Awesome pics and awesome food plan! Thanks for posting it!
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I still won’t make my diary public… not worth the hassle… but this is one step in a more brave direction. I've lost 235 pounds on this kind of eating... so judge if you want, but I ain't gonna listen!

Ummm...am I missing something? I eat all sorts of junk and post it and no one has ever said a word. If they did, I wouldn't care. What works for me is all that I'm concerned about.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump im loving this
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Go, Nammy, Go!!

Here's mine... to get recipe links, etc., check out my blog post on the same subject: http://cravingalife.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/what-does-1500-calories-look-like/

Put this in the record books and then immediately close those record books and seal them within a cement clump… this ain’t going to happen again… in the near future at least. I’m about to unleash my diary for this week… put it out there in front of all the masses to be judged and criticized and picked apart and told I have too many phosphates and too much riboflavin and not enough folate and you shouldn’t be eating that… on a “die”t? For crying outloud, Griselda! All of those have happened and all of those are the reasons my diary on MFP is private. It’s not to hide the fact that I only eat 500 calories… FAR from the truth. It’s because I’m still not over my fear of being judged for what I eat. It happened all the while I grew up… and that made things worse because I was constantly eating gross amounts of food in private… away from that judgmental eye. I had made the call to not make my diary public so that I’d take that closet eating temptation off the table. But, today, I’m stepping up to the plate and putting out what a day in my eating world looks like. I still won’t make my diary public… not worth the hassle… but this is one step in a more brave direction. I've lost 235 pounds on this kind of eating... so judge if you want, but I ain't gonna listen!

IMG_0394.jpg

Those aren’t pancakes… they’re special protein pancakes invented by the Biggest Loser people… and I gotta say, I was skeptical, but these suckers are DEE-VINE, HALLELUJAH! I never knew blending up egg whites, oats, and cottage cheese could turn out so tastee… and no, you can’t at all taste the cottage cheese! I just made up the batter and then stored it in the frig…

Total Calories in Breakfast: 309 (3 protein pancakes, 2 Tblsp. lite syrup, strawberries)

IMG_0396.jpg

Meal #2 includes Enlightened Egg Salad (minus the pita and I did a variation on this recipe adding different spices), baby tomatoes, carrots, and 1 reduced sodium dill pickle stacker.

Total Calories in Meal #2: 330

IMG_0402.jpg

Meal #3 included light Tangy Potato Salad and red pepper slices.

Total Calories in Meal #3: 213

IMG_0403.jpg

Dinner included light mushroom stroganoff over eggless egg noodles and peas.

Total Calories in Dinner: 411

IMG_0407.jpg

Dessert included an angel food cake topped with plain strawberries and blueberries, strawberry sauce, and lite cool whip. Recipe!

Total Calories for Dessert: 237

TOTAL CALORIES FOR THE WHOLE DAY: 1500

And that’s a lot of food. It’s a myth that calorizing means you can’t eat anything. You totally can… it just takes some planning in advance to get the most out of limited calories. I’m like a magician… except with less skillz and no rabbits. Judge away, my peeps… except don’t expect me to care too much this time! :P

You are truly an inspiration!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump BUUUUUMP!!!
  • nanasgt
    nanasgt Posts: 33
    Options
    :happy:
  • NatalieWinning
    Options
    Here's Dianas from page 3 was it? Oh my stars I can't make them work either. So, here's the link directly, and they are so yummy it's worth a look!!
    http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg505/DianaJDavidson/MFP Food/
    2012-06-22061616.jpg
    2012-06-21080923.jpg
    2012-06-21112249.jpg
    2012-06-21133803.jpg
    2012-06-21175112.jpg
    2012-06-22183302.jpg
    2012-06-22083730.jpg
    2012-06-23150407.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    One of my dinners from last month a little over 1,500 cals

2 beef and chorizo patties stuffed with habanero jack and roasted peppers (jalapenos, serranos and poblanos) topped with more cheese, roasted peppers, pickled red onions and blue corn tortilla strips with a side of duck fat roasted red potatoes

2012-05-08%252018.24.22.jpg
    2012-05-08%252018.25.42.jpg