Tell me what you do with Black Beans

Options

Replies

• RafreaknRa
    Options
    I substitute the meat in spaghetti with Black Beans.
  • sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I typically eat them.

HAHAHAHA LMAO!
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Cuban style black beans:

If you're starting with dried (since they're lower in sodium), cook them for about 2 hours (or till tender) in a big pot of water, OR soak them overnight.
    I'll assume you're cooking one pound.

Strain the liquid off, but set it aside.

put about 1/5 to 1/4 of the bean in a blender, add about a cup of liquid or so, and blend till it's basically puree. add back to the other beans. add enough liquid to cover the beans.

Add one medium-large diced white or yellow onion
    add a couple (3 - 4 large) cloves of garlic, minced. (you can ALWAYS add more garlic if you want.
    add 1 tablespoon of GROUND oregano (not leaves)
    add 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
    add the juice of one lime or so
    add 1 tablespoon of orange juice for each lime you add
    add one small (8 oz) can of tomato puree
    add 1/2 bell pepper, cut in strips
    add salt to taste.

If you want to add more lime, add more lime, but keep the ratio of lime to orange the same. Also if you add more lime, add more garlic.
    try to keep the ratio of cumin to oregano 1 1/2 to 1.

simmer over medium/low heat until flavors blend.

Serve over rice, garnish with chopped white onions.

You can use canned black beans, but you will likely not need to add salt.
    if you used canned, use two cans.

I am typing this from memory, so if I missed something, I'll add it later.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lieselq
    lieselq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I mixed them with some Picante sauce and use that as my 'dressing' on a tortilla salad. (Lettuce, tomato, other veggies, homemade tortilla strips and 1/2 to 1 cup of bean mixture depending on size of salad and my appetite...if I have enough calories left on my counter, I might add 1/4 c shredded cheese.)

My homemade tortilla strips: dozen 6" tortillas, 1/4 c olive oil, cayenne or whatever spices I prefer, sea salt.

Brush tortillas with olive oil & spices (minus salt). Stack after each is coated to coat other side simultaneously. Cut into short strips/pieces. Sprinkle with sea salt and lay single layer on un-greased cookie sheet.

Bake 375 degrees for about 12 - 15 minutes. (I actually toss ALL of them on the sheet but that requires opening the oven frequently to toss & turn the strips so that they don't stick to one another.) When slightly browned, they are done. Cool. Store in airtight container.

No idea cal count. I have to look on the container of purchased tortilla salad toppings and guestimate.

That's how I use black beans. :)
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Costa Rican Black Beans! Yum! Message me if you want the recipe :)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-Soup-with-Cumin-and-Jalapeno-109772

Makes 4 servings Per serving: 368 calories 40 carbs 15 fat 19 protein (Servings include the "toppings of Feta cheese, cilantro and green onions).

This ^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks for recipe link going to make it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    saute up some lean stew meat with cumin, chili powder, crushed garlic, and red onion until the meat is done. Add your black beans and fresh chopped cilantro.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I will mix together black beans, corn and taco seasoned ground turkey w/hot sauce and a little shredded cheddar. Homemade southwestern chili
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    mmmmm bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we make them all the time and use them in place of "taco meat".

the black bean is actually considered "holy" in our home; i can't imagine a life without them.

after boiled and drained, we set them aside. if you're using canned, start here.

in a heavy pan, a little butter or oil + onions, garlic and/or peppers. really, you can kind of just wing all this with things you like.

add spices like paprika, cayenne or black pepper

mash and add water as necessary.

my favorite way to eat them is on a bed of crisp, cool iceburg lettuce, and with all the "fixings" of a burrito or taco without the shell or tortilla.

we also put them with eggs
    i sometimes make a bean dip out of them
    we toss them with rice and cool with vegetables and cilantro for a mock "tabbouleh" which is nothing like tabbouleh at all
    we add them to tomato-based soups
    we eat them on the side, spicy
    we stuff sweet peppers with them

i'm sure there are more ways, but i'll edit back when i think of them
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Cuban style black beans:

holy moses, those sound delicious; sweet & savory!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Black beans and rice.
    1 cup uncooked rice
    14 oz fresh or diced canned tomato
    1 can/1 cup corn niblets
    1 can/2 cups black beans
    1 can/1 green chile, diced
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth

Add spices to taste, i use cumin, garlic& onion powder i also shred cheese on top sometimes.

Boil that together til broth is almost gone. It's about 300 calories for a big bowl, and everyone around here loves it.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    oh my word! 75 posts on this thread?! You guys are awesome... thanks!! :D
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love black beans.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes. They sound awesome.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-Soup-with-Cumin-and-Jalapeno-109772

Makes 4 servings Per serving: 368 calories 40 carbs 15 fat 19 protein (Servings include the "toppings of Feta cheese, cilantro and green onions).

This ^^^^^^^^^
    Thanks for recipe link going to make it.

No problem! It's one of my favorites because it's lo-cal AND extremely filling. My favorite combination. :-)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump. i got a can i need to use for something :]
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Great bio-degradeable ammo for my slingshot....
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My favorite is black bean hummus. Black beans, chickpeas,lime juice, roasted red peppers, olive oil, garlic, cumin, blended until creamy. Love spread on toasted english muffins especially.