124»

Replies

• tabstattooed
    Options
    quick get the ex-lax
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options

Question 3: Are some types of food more efficient in processing our general intake, thereby expelling a greater proportion of that intake as excreta?

In Question 3, I am thinking of fiber, however there may be other food groups that are more expropriate (my word).

Continuing a review of the original questions and your generous posts ...

There appears to be no disagreement that fiber processes your food intake faster thereby reducing the amount of the bropken-down elements that are absorbed and/or stored by the body.

Again (as per Questions 1 and 2) how beneficial that additional excretion is beyond the short-term is still up for debate (if you have the stomach for it!)
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    maybe some things are better left unanswered.......maybe there is no answer to the questions.....

:ohwell:
  • terence
    Options
    maybe some things are better left unanswered.......maybe there is no answer to the questions.....

:ohwell:

Or perhaps the answer is "29".
    Was that the answer to everything from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
    I wonder whether or not they had plenty of rest stops and clean facilties?
    :noway: Go easy on the fiber, Skywalkers.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    do you sleep???
  • terence
    Options
    do you sleep???

Little. I can't bear to think that I might be missing something. :laugh:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Or perhaps the answer is "29".
    Was that the answer to everything from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
    I wonder whether or not they had plenty of rest stops and clean facilties?
    :noway: Go easy on the fiber, Skywalkers.

42. My ex-husband made me watch the movie and would always say that when he couldn't give me a straight answer.
  • terence
    Options

Question 4: Was this just happenstance ... (losing weight more quickly and losing an inch around the middle in a week) ... or have I unwittingly stumbled upon a fairly basic phenomenon?

Continuing my summarisation of this thread ...

Two weeks on and I haven't taken a backward step. I can't be sure that the high-fiber intervention was the reason for my sudden Great Leap Forward. However that loss has stayed off and I've taken off another kilo since (without extra fiber intake).

Conclusion ... inconclusive!
    I'm thinking I might take another 3-day journey into Weetbix-ville (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and see what happens this time.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    I do hope everything comes out ok......:bigsmile:

tammy
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options

tammy
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Let us know......
  • terence
    Options

tammy
    [/quote

Thanks for your support! :ohwell:
  • terence
    Options
  • terence
    Options

You'll be the first to know. :drinker:

249134.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • terence
    Options
    The following excerpt suggests that pills that force food intake through the system before it's absorbed does result in long-term weight loss.

"Orlistat (sold as Xenical®) Does not require a doctor's prescription, and can be prescribed by your pharmacist, who will determine if it is appropriate for you. Orlistat has a unique action compared with other weight-loss agents. It blocks fat absorption by inhibiting lipase, an enzyme responsible for breaking down dietary fat in the gut. Evidence suggests it can reduce diabetes risk in those with impaired glucose tolerance.

"As orlistat reduces the absorption of fat, the undigested excess must pass out of your body via the stools. This can result in uncomfortable side effects from gas and an upset stomach due to prolonged diarrhoea, especially if you consume more than the maximum 15g of fat recommended for each meal. The more fat you eat while taking this drug, the greater the side effects you’ll experience. The recommended dose of orlistat is 120mg three times daily during or up to one hour after a meal. You should skip a dose if you miss a meal or eat a meal that contains no fat ."

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/b/betterhomesgardens/12951/better-blogs-cut-kilos-with-pills-
  • terence
    Options
    ... and some more on Natural alternatives.

"These are complementary, natural vitamin-type products, which generally contain fibres such as cellulose or guar gum, which swell in the stomach
    to give you a feeling of fullness. Some of these products may also contain ingredients that work as diuretics to help you lose excess water. Others are based on naturally occurring enzymes that are claimed to assist in the digestion of foods. Alternatively, these products may contain iodine, which boosts the thyroid and, thus, increases your metabolism.

"Although these over-the-counter products must pass safety criteria, there is no benchmark for their efficacy and their impact may be limited. "
  • terence
    Options

Question 5: My waist measurement decreased by almost an inch during the week. Coincidence? (Queue: 'Twilight Zone' theme)

Finalising my summary of this thread ... this is indeterminate. As I've said before, I'll do this again and see whether or not there's a similar spike in my progress.
  • terence
    Options

Question 5: My waist measurement decreased by almost an inch during the week. Coincidence? (Queue: 'Twilight Zone' theme)

Finalising my summary of this thread ... this is indeterminate. As I've said before, I'll do this again and see whether or not there's a similar spike in my progress.

Well, I've just completed another test, eating a lot of high-fiber cereal for two days. Not to put too fine a point on it, I had a major download during Day 3.

Clearly, this was a build-up, however a couple of surprising results have come from it.

My waist measurement decreased by another inch during the week, just as it had done duirng my last test. It's not as if I have a heap to lose, either. I was just over 38 inches before the first test, falling to 37.25 inches. After the second test just 2 weeks later, I fell to 35.75 inches ... and just a few pounds from my goal .... my lowest weight in 25 years.

Interestingly, neither my weight nor my girth increased after the initial high-fiber trial. Whatever I lost, stayed lost ... and more.

Perhaps a periodic high-fiber purge could have benefits.

Anyone?