"Plus sized" model??

Options
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/32537523#32537523

Wow, I can't believe a size 12-14 is considered plus sized!! Glamour has a photo in this month's edition of a normal, healthy woman that is shaking things up. I really hope the fashion world continues to portray normal women that we can relate to.

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Can you post the picture? Work has blocked that site, and I'd like to see it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I think it's a video
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/5341749/glamour-shocks-readers-by-featuring-plus+size-models-belly

here's a different link to an article--how do you post pics?
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    omg !!! so there are actually normal people in the world?...lol *is kind of sick of seeing stick figures Viewed as the "normal" mom*
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I recently read that fashion models weigh less than 98% of the female population in America and that the average woman in America is a size 14.

I found that interesting and in some way encouraging.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this! I don't know what I was expecting, but this really reset my expectation of what normal looks like for most women. I feel like this is something I can achieve!
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    They did a segment on the Today show this morning about it. I think the model is absolutely beautiful! I wish more magazines would have normal sized models...and no, size 12 is not plus sized! We live in such a crazy world!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    http://jezebel.com/5341749/glamour-shocks-readers-by-featuring-plus+size-models-belly

I'm not sure.

I still can't see the picutre. :frown:
  • astridfeline
    Options
    The first link I posted is the Today show segment--they did say that the average size of women in America is size 12-14. Now, how that figures into the obesity epidemic I don't know--perhaps the average height of women has stayed the same while the pants size has gone up.
  • shalinik78
    Options
    This might help you ..... go on Google and look for Lizzie Miller.
    You would see the picture they are talking about :)

I'm not sure.

I still can't see the picutre. :frown:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The first link I posted is the Today show segment--they did say that the average size of women in America is size 12-14. Now, how that figures into the obesity epidemic I don't know--perhaps the average height of women has stayed the same while the pants size has gone up.

LOL that's another whole topic. Over the years clothing sizes have gotten bigger. A size 12-14 in the 60's would be about a size 8 now. I think manufacturers started doing it to sell more clothes. As women got bigger, they refused to buy bigger sized clothing, so they just made the clothing bigger.

I love the picture. I hope we start seeing more of these kinds of images.
  • TankLily
    TankLily Posts: 34
    Options
    :noway: this goes quite a way to change my perseption of myself. To think, I'm 200+ in size 14 pants and I have a flat stomach. :love:

So much for being obese. :laugh:
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    she looks like shes like 5'10" tho. Id love to see a model that isnt so unbelievably tall and also not a stick. then Ill be amazed. Sorry, Im a cynic.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    she looks like shes like 5'10" tho. Id love to see a model that isnt so unbelievably tall and also not a stick. then Ill be amazed. Sorry, Im a cynic.
    depends on what type of modeling u do......as long as it isnt run way u dont have to be tall....they also have petite runway shows now...but u still have to be 5 foot to be on the catwalk *sigh* lol
  • astridfeline
    Options

LOL that's another whole topic. Over the years clothing sizes have gotten bigger. A size 12-14 in the 60's would be about a size 8 now. I think manufacturers started doing it to sell more clothes. As women got bigger, they refused to buy bigger sized clothing, so they just made the clothing bigger.

I forgot about that whole thing--haha, I am still a size 14 although i'm 20 lbs heavier than highschool!!!
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options

That's the part that always depresses me everytime I lose a dress size!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    0814-lizzie-miller_vg_01.jpg
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    WOW it worked!! I stink at figuring this stuff out too!! :flowerforyou:

I think she is beautiful and normal!! Why isnt normal, average....beautiful!!???
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I really do not believe the whole "sizes are bigger now than then" theory.

I remember the last time I was 135 pounds. It was 1996 and I wore a size 8. I did it with 1000 calories a day and some OTC drug...no exercise. I wore an 8 and it was tight in the waist, prob because I didnt exercise.

I am now a size 8 and they fit just right.

Maybe some companies do this, but to say I am a size 12 now? I don't believe that.

Over the past 15 years I have gone from size 8-16 on a very steady pace. Each 7-10 pounds I went up a size. I did the same thing in losing. Each 7-10 pounds I went down a size.

Anyway...........Isnt the model beautiful!?
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    WOW it worked!! I stink at figuring this stuff out too!! :flowerforyou:

I think she is beautiful and normal!! Why isnt normal, average....beautiful!!???

It IS beautiful, of course - we just choose not to promote it in the media. Media is all about fantasy, exploitation and extremism. That's why we normally see the skinniest people and the fattest (I mean, very very obese) people on TV.

I can't tell you how happy it would make me if women LIKE THAT were put up on billboards for teen boys to gawk at. Wouldn't it be a weird mind bend to look at a gorgeous woman wearing a gorgeous dress and have them actually MAKE that dress in your size AND have it fit like it does on the model? :noway:

Unreal, right? :laugh:

That's why I like Renaissance art. :bigsmile: