Scale number will move only when good & ready

Options

Replies

• Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nice progress!! What are your workouts like? I also want to start running...

Hi thanks! :smile: 

My running program I tend to change things up a bit

I'll tell you what I did this week

Monday night
    [For 9 Minutes]  
    15 second sprints,  30 second slow/moderate jog recovery 

[For the next 11 Minutes] 
    30 second sprints, 45 second extremely slow jog recovery

I've just recently introduced extra work at the end of my 20 minutes of intervals and I have found even though I'm totally fuc&@&$) after my sprints (which never go longer than 20 mins) I'm able to push on and do some more! 

[For the next 10 Minutes]
    2 minutes slow jog to recover

2 min 30 seconds lactate threshold pace (comfortably hard)
    1 min slow jog recovery
    2 min 30 seconds lactate threshold pace (comfortably hard)
    2 min cool down jog

And omg did I feel sick at the end of the session haha, I know it worked! :wink: 

Lactate threshold pace, meaning on the borderline of being anaerobic. Lactate threshold intervals help you to process lactate better. It is during the recovery jog where you benefit. It works a different energy system and improves stamina. Lactic acid is that burn you feel in your muscles, and it slows you down the less fitter you are as you take longer to recover. The fitter you get the faster your pace becomes as your body gets better at converting lactic acid to fuel the body can use.

So that was what I did on Monday night. . Each run that I do concentrates on a different energy system but lately I've been doing a combo which I'm enjoying.

I'll tell you the other runs I do another day as its nearly my bed time

See ya 
  • Kim55555
    Options
    thanks for your great post!!! I have maintained my 20lb loss for over a year, I had wanted to lose another 3 or 4 lbs but they are just not happening, if anything the scale fluctuates up a little...BUT my clothes are looser, I've moved into yet another tighter notch on my belt, my uk size 10s are big on me and I'm getting into 8's.
    I am very active and workout hard 6 days a week/combo of running and strength so my body composition is changing and continues to do so.
    Time for me to ditch the scales me thinks...once a month should keep me on track nicely :)
    I average 1700 - 2100 calories, I'm 5ft 2" and 45 yrs old.

Your welcome! :smile: That's great to hear and the fact that you've managed to maintain for a year! That's awesome!! Yeah don't worry too much about the scale. You've been getting thinner, and smaller clothes sizes! The scale doesn't always reflect the progress. I only jump on mine daily to keep my mind on the job at hand, not so much that I'm obsessed at getting to a set scale number. I'm focussing on body fat %. Somewhere between 15-20% is where I want to be.

I have similar stats as you. I'm 5 ft 2, 42 yrs old & eat pretty much the same amount of calories.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    Thats awesome! Yep I agree, thats the way to approach this, as a lifestyle change where you gradually over time drop the cm's and your body will even out where it wants to.

I just had my measurements taken here at work and after a 3 months period:

Waist down from 86 cm > 80 cm
    Chest down from 97.5 cm > 94.5 cm
    Hips down from 95 cm > 87.5 cm

3.5 kg lost in 3 months.

The leanest I got to was 57 kg in January 2013 and my waist was 74 cm at 57 kg, so I'm striving to get into the low 70 cm's for my waist. Hoping to have a 78 cm waist by 2 months time.

You and I are simalar weights, I'm 61kg/ 135lbs currently but my stats are: (I'm 5ft 2 1/4"/ 158 cms)
    Waist - 26.75" - 68 cms
    chest - 32" - 81 cms
    Hips - 35.5" - 90 cms
    I'm really trying not to focus on the scale anymore, but I'm actually happy with my measurements and don't want to drop another dress size.
    Ideally I'd like to be 130lbs/59kg but my body just doesn't want to go there. I eat at deficit, Fitbit has my average TDEE to 2400. I average total daily cals of 1700-2100.
    This past two weeks I've sort of lost my appetite and am averaging 1500-1600 cals, the scale is going up and not down!
    My workouts remain the same.
    5 days I run 4 to 5 miles at average speed of 5.7 mph.
    I strength train/or do circuits 2 days.
    I do an average 17000 steps every day.
    My body just doesn't want to drop below 61kg! frustrating but I'm trying to make my peace with it and just keep doing what I've always done in the hope that those stubborn few pounds will melt away and in the not too distant future lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Kim, thanks for your reply, I was writing another comment at the same time :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I'm back into the 50 kg range! I'm 59.8 kg as of this morning.

I haven't been in the 50's range since early 2013. I didn't think it was possible to get back to 50 something as I thought I'd put a lot of muscle on during my bulk.

I got to 57.3 kg back in January 2013 after losing 33 kg in just over 2 and a half years.

I averaged 1938 calories per day over the past month to lose 1.3 kg.

Im curious now as to what scale number I'll end up at.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I am very active and workout hard 6 days a week/combo of running and strength so my body composition is changing and continues to do so.

Hi

Have you been taking progress photos?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I haven't taken any for a while, I can see in the mirror that I'm in good shape though, just a bit of a tummy still to go, not sure IF that will ever go lol
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Kim55555 wrote: »
    I'm back into the 50 kg range! I'm 59.8 kg as of this morning.

I haven't been in the 50's range since early 2013. I didn't think it was possible to get back to 50 something as I thought I'd put a lot of muscle on during my bulk.

I got to 57.3 kg back in January 2013 after losing 33 kg in just over 2 and a half years.

I averaged 1938 calories per day over the past month to lose 1.3 kg.

Im curious now as to what scale number I'll end up at.

how lovely for you to see the 50s again :) excellent progress especially as you are eating a nice number of calories! wtg!
    How do you keep your records? on an app? or a graph/chart?
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @RunRtheeRun---I have a similar TDEE as you, when I was was eating 1600-1700 cals a day, my scale was definitely going up. Once I moved it to eating1850-2100 cals a day, then I would lose. Your not fueling your body for the workouts your doing-at least that's what I've learned.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Hi. I just noticed RunR's other 2 replies. I must have been busy typing at the time and not seen it. I'll come back online tomorrow to reply as its time for beddy byes catchya later :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @skinny4me2be thanks for your comment/reply - I suppose I worry that eating 1800-2100 is just too much, I do that for a few weeks, see the scale go up by 2 or 3 lbs and almost freak out...then I go back to 1600-1800 and it seems to come back down. I know folk say its the glycogen stores replenishing themselves with getting more food and it should settle but I'm always afraid in case that I'll keep on gaining...I never want to be a size 14 again :( - it made me miserable. I love being slim and fitting into small sizes :)
    - I know I am active enough even at my height to allow me to eat at 2000 so I guess its time I stopped playing it safe and ate more! I love eating 2000 cals/day! I feel really full and satisfied when I do. Eating less I go to bed with an empty tummy.

@kim55555 sleep well and will look forward to hearing your thoughts tomorrow/later :)

ps I HAVEN'T LOST ANY WEIGHT in 3 months. Right now I'm at 136.2 and that can fluctuate up to 139 if I eat a chinese takeway/nuts/crisps/chips! or at TOM. I know thats only water weight mind you and in a few days I settle gain back around the 135-136lb mark.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @RunRtheeRun---I have a similar TDEE as you, when I was was eating 1600-1700 cals a day, my scale was definitely going up. Once I moved it to eating1850-2100 cals a day, then I would lose. Your not fueling your body for the workouts your doing-at least that's what I've learned.

see my reply to this above :) ^^
  • oearl20
    oearl20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. My best friend needed motivation cause she has been trying so hard and not losing weight but I know she is cause looks great. This here will keep her going =)
  • skinny4me2be
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun--its so incredibly hard to trust the process. I know!!! I've been there done that...did that for well OVER a year!! It was a vicious cycle, cut calories, lose then gain, and eat more, and then freak out, cut calories again; its a constant battle to say the least.

Try this (and by all means I could be way off but it doesnt' hurt to try)--just make a promise to yourself to eat at 1850 or 1900, pick a number to be a goal, for one whole month and see how it goes. I did that and I religiously kept track of the amount I ate, my daily weight (not always recommended but I'm a daily weigher) plus my fitbit TDEE--and made notes on the days that were high sodium and such...The first month I did this, I ate 1600/1700 calories and gained!! I couldn't believe I was working out so hard, eating so little and gaining. It was so depressing. So then, I re-looked at my fitbit TDEE and decided to eat a smaller deficit--I ate between 1850-2150 cals per day (even had a day where I went up to 2600 calories) and I lost 4lbs that month eating anywhere between 1850 - 2150 cals. I lost!! I couldn't believe it. My average intake that month was 2082. At this time too, I found out my fitbit TDEE was not exactly recording what it should have as I compared it to figuring out my 'actual' TDEE based on the numbers from my spreadsheet. I had to tweak my fitbit by adding my stride length and such so it will give me a more accurate reading. The month I had bumped my eating goal to1850, it took a good week for my body to adjust and the scale to go down, so after I saw that, I thought, I'm going to keep going and try and see what comes out of it, and guess what, the scale started moving the rest of the month. It was so incredibly exciting to see.

This month, actually this week, I'm taking an exercise break, still eating at a deficit, and will resume my workout routine next week. So excited to see if I can still lose this month or the following month. It will be hard with the holidays but I can only try.

P.S. the reason I kept track of my intake and fitbit TDEE is to see if I will need to adjust from one month to the next. They say to recalculate it every 5lbs.

You can friend me if you want for support! :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @skinny_4me‌2be I have sent you a FR ☺
    do you chart your TDEE with an app? Or a written record/excel doc?
    I have a Fitbit too so I've a years worth of data from that..must have a look at that in detail and see what I can glean from it.
    I suppose I feel that Fitbit might not be terribly accurate for me saying I'm not losing - I've been going up and down same 3lbs for a year. I even overestimate my foods just to be sure I haven't over eaten.
    - I'm not overly bothered about it, certainly don't want to eat less than I do now, more would be better lol. I feel my body is in pretty good shape overall...but if I could get scale down by 5 lbs that would be a nice weight to maintain and allow for fluctuations.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I'm just realising that with closer look at my mfp reports I consistently go over on fats! maybe this is the reason for my stall? I'm consistently under calories by an average deficit of 310 calories a day but many would say all calories are not equal so maybe its my fats that are the issue! any thoughts on that?
  • skinny4me2be
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun--Going over in fats...It could be. Just a side note on my advise...The number I picked to use that month was 1850 (that was my 500 deficit-my TDEE at the time was 2350), I had days where I went over that number, either because I didn't plan out well or whatever the case was that day. I tried not to freak out over it too much, If I happened to go over 1850, I then tried to keep it under 2100, as I was still in a deficit then. The next day I'd drink extra water or go for another walk or something to balance it out. So if you go over from time to time, that's life, just do the best you can and know that tomorrow is a new day. Do what's best for you. :-)

The one thing I did notice, sodium and hormone fluctuations does cause the scale to jump from time to time. Something I'm learning about myself and how my body works. :-) Best of luck!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    People often focus so much on the scale and not on the amazing changes to their bodies. When I hit my goal, I continued to lose inches and wear smaler sizes. I lost 2 sizes while at my goal.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post, I definitely needed to hear that this morning :)
  • skinny4me2be
    Options
    @47Jacqueline--wow! That's awesome. One of the reasons I measure myself. Just in case the scale isn't moving--the inches could be. :-) Way to go!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!