This is Impossible... SO upset.

Replies

• ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    I thought I was doing good with water at one time, following average recommendations. But recently learned about the 1/2 body weight in oz. So make sure you drink at least 100 oz a day! If I don't, it can really affect my weight. Once when I didn't drink nearly enough I went up 3 or 4 lbs in a couple of days. Once I started drinking the 1/2 rule of thumb, my weight when right back down in a day or two back to where it was.

And drink more to acct for exercise. The weather channel actually has a good calculator. It takes into acct your weight, where you live, and how long you exercise each day to give you a ballpark figure of how much you should be drinking. So far the numbers have worked well for me.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/tools/hydration
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Those types of fluctuations are completely normal for some people. My weight bounces around between 5 lbs and has for as long as I can remember, not matter what I eat or drink. It's just hormones and water retention.
  • Brighteyes9
    Brighteyes9 Posts: 8 Member
    Don't give up!! You gained your weight over a period of time, thus it will take a period of time to lose it. The slower it comes off the more likely you are to keep it off because it takes time to develop the habit of good food choices and excercise. I agree 100% with the comments of fluctuation - many things affect this . . . sodium, hormones, fiber, etc. Congratulations on your success thus far. Stay focused and know that you have a support group here.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    A salty meal and not drinking enough water will do that! Don't get frustrated you're doing awesome!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    It is water retention.

It is caused by many things, some of which have already been mentioned.

Time of the month
    muscle repair from a heavy workout
    Sodium in food
    Time of day that you weigh
    Food or water in your belly
    Bowel movements
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    You're gaining muscle!!!! You are losing fat and gaining muscle so in the beginning you will either lose weight or, in yours and my case, gain weight. Don't go by what the scale says, go by what your clothes say. I was stuck at 153lbs for weeks but my clothes fit better and began to get looser. Your body is toning itself. If you keep at it you will see results.
  • Thanks-
    The scale for me is motivation. I know everyone says don't look at it every day but it's the best way I know to make sure I stay focused. I'm trying to take this lightly but I've been working on this since February and I feel like this is just taking SUCH a long time to see little results. I will try and change the workout - I'm really good about water- Thanks for the tips.
    I am the same way. That stupid number motivates me every day as soon as I wake up...But just like everyone else said, it could be you retaining water in your muscles, because you are near or just maybe done with you period, To much salt...it could be a number of things...so just stick with it and you will get past it :)
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Well it's not muscle...it would be impossible to put on three pounds of muscle in three days. I think it takes around 6 weeks of working out to put on one pound, and that's IF you're doing everything right. It's water retention. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis, don't get discouraged.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    You had to have eaten 10,500 calories the day before then. That's equivalent to 3lbs of fat. So if you ate that much, then that explains it.
    If not, then it water retention from exercising due to muscle repair and glycogen storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    You're gaining muscle!!!! You are losing fat and gaining muscle so in the beginning you will either lose weight or, in yours and my case, gain weight. Don't go by what the scale says, go by what your clothes say. I was stuck at 153lbs for weeks but my clothes fit better and began to get looser. Your body is toning itself. If you keep at it you will see results.
    Sorry you don't gain muscle that fast. It's takes a long time to do it. And eating a calorie deficit (unless you're one of the exceptions of types of people that can) and gaining muscle is practically impossible to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    bump
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Hang in there and try to relax about it. We've all had what we've viewed as setbacks. It's not possible to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight so there have to be other factors as everyone pointed out. Try setting a different mental motivator for yourself. What do you enjoy doing? Maybe your motivation can be something like, if I ate well and did my exercising, I will go hang out with my friends for a couple hours or read a book you've been wanting to enjoy. It's important to be consistent (one of my weaknesses ~ I confess!) and it sounds like you are trying very hard! Congrats on your current loss and keep focused ~ it's like taking back country roads instead of a super highway. Sometimes you feel you aren't making progress or are going a bit backwards but if you keep on path, you'll get to the end and hopefully enjoy the journey.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Too much sodium.
    A really big poop on board.
    Or very deep thoughts.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    The scale for me is motivation. I know everyone says don't look at it every day but it's the best way I know to make sure I stay focused.
    Sorry but this is clearly not motivating you. If you can't deal with seeing your weight fluctuating, then weighing every day is not for you.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    If you feel the need to weigh every day (like I do) then just take the lowest reading in the last 4 days. That'll smooth out fluctuations.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Too much sodium.
    A really big poop on board.
    Or very deep thoughts.

LOL. THIS.

I'm here to gain and I get happy seeing the extra lbs, then I poop. Then its gone. And then I cry.
  • ugh that's the worst. I once stepped on the scale and had gained 5 lbs. I was in shock! But what I've always found is that when that happens, your on the threshold of a breakthrough. That 5 lbs disappeared in a couple of days and took another 5 with it when it left, so don't get discouraged.
  • HAHAHAHAHA a really big poop on board. love it
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Weigh yourself every day after the bathroom before eating and use this place to graph the weight and even out fluctuations

http://physicsdiet.com/