Carnivores – why?

Options

Replies

• alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Exploding the myth of a passive plant world, this film uncovers the real “secret world” of plants and reveals a landscape pulsing with sex, movement, communication, and social interaction. This is a world where plants talk, forage, wage war and protect their kin; a world where plants behave a lot like us. The world he reveals is one where plants eavesdrop on each other, talk to their enemies, call in insect allies to fight those enemies, recognize their relatives and nurture their young. These words are from David Suzuki nature show. Knowing that plants behave more like humans then was ever known before, can you still eat plants? Also science says humans are the only species that take offense so maybe if you ask lions, tigers and birds of prey why they eat meat you will get an answer without emotion, fact only.
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    There has never been a good argument presented as to why someone would want to eat just plant life.

Do you only eat plants? And if you only eat plants, why are you even needing to diet? I've never heard of anyone gaining weight just from plants for food. Must be plenty of junk and other products derived from the animal species in your diet.

A lot of "non-meat eaters" don't seem to mind eating fish and crustaceans, which logically can still be grouped in with "meat". So do you eat lake/ocean dwellers? If so, why them and not footed/hooved creatures?

In the animal world, those with canine teeth are meant to eat meat, those with all flat teeth are meant to eat plants. It's called survival and equates to the "circle of life", no matter how you cut it. Remember, even we meaty humans are prey to larger animals and even the remote cannibals still out there.

We were eating meat before processing plants came into being and will continue to do so if the plants are ever removed.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    One word: Bacon

556367_10100890766523635_2673054_n.jpg

If you don't like bacon.... then....

you don't like bacon.

Seriously. Stupid question. Just let people eat the way they want to.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Because HUMANS are animals. A cat, bear, dolphin, snake, ect.... doesn't stop to think about why it's eating another animal, it only considers filling its stomach so it can survive and thrive.

Look at our teeth, canines meant to tear flesh. Yes we have molars as well, but we are designed to be OMNIVORES and eat anything that crosses our path. It allowed us to spend less time getting food and more time for other things.

Meat is also higher in protein/calories than plant matter, so it goes futher than the same amount of plant matter. It's a matter of evolution - if we stayed plant based only, we may have not turned into the higher thinking creatures we are. Or worse, we wouldn't be here because something else came along and ate us.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    One word: Bacon

556367_10100890766523635_2673054_n.jpg

Even being th vegetarian that I am - I can agree with this sentiment.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Because dead animals are delicious.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    we are canivores by nature there is your why just because you dont like the answer dosent mean its not a good one
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Card carrying member of PETA! :wink:

tasty-splash-1.gif
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cuz it's yummy!!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thyroid issues are a very good reason. People who are hypothyroid cannot go on plant proteins, I have tried and with disasterous results. They must eat meat and protein often (low carb diet). Low carb also helps to lose weight, soy is not an option for hypothyroids.
  • Lindsey1985x
    Lindsey1985x Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    A friend at work made a good point: if humans didn't eat meat there would probably be a very low number of cows, sheep, pigs etc because people would have no need to keep (and farm etc) them.

I'm a happy omnivore, each to their own i say.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but it’s not my intention.

However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

So why?

And please remove all of the “I like my meat rare” answers. That stuff is just nasty.

It tastes great. Besides that...........I try to stay away from Soy.....As a vegetarian......How would you suggest getting 180+ grams of protein in without eating meat or soy? for around 2k cals?

It's actually very easy for a vegetarian to get MORE than enough protein in. I am vegetarian and have no problem
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE I CAN.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team... I don't know what he's talking about.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

So why?
    I like the flavor of meat, although I will admit to being repulsed by preparing most of it. I can't stand to touch raw chicken, and when I was pregnant, the smell of raw meat would make me retch. BUT I also am a firm believer that while you can get protein from other sources (and I know other people will argue with me), biologically speaking my body likes to process amino acids into amino acids....plus, meat doesn't make me gassy like beans and other veggies high in amino acids. I eat alot of animal based proteins because I am trying to fuel my muscles for growth. Bigger muscles=more chocolate to consume without weight gain!!!
  • ClaSSiE86
    ClaSSiE86 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dear Vegetarians:

Hate to break it to you... but plants are living things too!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    As an EX Vegan I will tell you... because I can! In the end it's nunya dam n busness!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've been saving this for just such a thread. :happy:

357pvsm.jpg

LOL I liked that one
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Bacon.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone pointed out the caloric advantages of eating meat as being a central factor in our evolution as a species?

Anyone who has ever looked at the matter objectively has stumbled over this little tidbit.
    It's always overlooked when you post it as a counter argument to vegetarianism. For someone to achieve near 3000 calories in plant matter would require such a massive quantity of food. They also ignore the fact that if everyone were to switch to vegetarianism MORE land would need to be cleared to plant the amount of crops necessary because they ignore the nutritional and calorific density of a cow vs. what you could plant under it's 4 hooves.

The calorific arguement is flawed when you take dairy (which is vegetarian) into consideration.

Also, it actually takes a lot more land to process meat, including all the land needed to grow the plants to feed the animals, than it does to sustain plant based diets.

Meat is also calorie dense and keeps you full longer, so if you have to walk 2 days before you get another meal, meat makes a lot of sense. The argument against this argument is not to deny it, but to point out that we (at least in most of the USA and other 'developed' countries) don't live like this anymore, so the need for such high calorie dense foods isn't there anymore - one could even say that it's working against us (thinly veiled reference to obesity stats).

I also agree that factory farming is disgusting, and I'm definitely eating less and less meat.

Also, I highly recommend the book "The China Study" - amazing book by an author with excellent credentials.