Replies

• secondchance82
    Options
    Bacon. That's why.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Herbivores - Why?

Why do you feel the need to try and convert people to become vegetarians? Every time I am aware of the fact that someone is a veg. it is because they feel the need to be convinced otherwise. Why not just eat your vegetables and not worry about what other people are eating. You made an ethical and healthy lifestyle choice, good for you. Now leave me to eat my lifestyle choice in peace.

Seriously Herbivores, Why?
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    for arguments sake lets assume eating meat IS bad for you. why not just eat it as a treat from time to time like a cupcake?

Indeed, if people ate 70g of meat per week or less, chronic diabetes, obesity, heart disease, colon cancer, and so many other diseases would probably disappear. You are right. I wouldn't do that for ethical reasons, but I am not arguing ethics here, only practicality.

Can you share where you are getting the above dosage from?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1360609/Red-meat-DOES-increase-risk-bowel-cancer-If-eat-3-ham-slices-day.html

It refers to a study that I can also get you the link to. It would take a few minutes.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have constantly implied superiority and your husband has outright stated it rather aggressively. I have no problem with vegetarians but I do not agree that it is the only way to go, nor do I believe that it is the best way to go. Have a good evening.

Why is it that you don't seem to have heard everything else I said, but merely that I feel superior because I am a vegetarian. I was just being honest. Why does that bother you?

How about the hard arguments about meat being implicated in chronic diseases? I notice you have not mentioned that.

I have replied to all of your assertions. I do not have any current data sitting on my desk about chronic diseases so I cannot speak about that at the moment. But, do you think that it was because prehistoric man ate meat that we now have this sudden spike in chronic diseases or do you think that it may be a lack of moderation in our omnivore diet?

The correlation between meat eating and chronic diseases is the HEART of the argument, both as to why humans are vegetarian, and why meat eating is bad. If you don't have some studies sitting on your desk at the moment, you better find soime before you continue this discussion. And as I said, please find me ONE study that implicates eating vegetables in chronic diseases.
    Nobody said eating vegetables was bad for you.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've been saving this for just such a thread. :happy:

357pvsm.jpg

too cute

If by cute you mean that it's a pointless insult to people who choose not to eat meat the yes, I guess it's "cute".
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    However, I just don't get it. There has never been a good argument presented to me why someone would want to eat a dead animal. I figure because whenever I ask “why”, the silly carnivores almost always get offended.

Because it's harder to eat them when they're still alive.

omg best laugh of the day!!!!! :laugh:
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Herbivores - Why?

Why do you feel the need to try and convert people to become vegetarians? Every time I am aware of the fact that someone is a veg. it is because they feel the need to be convinced otherwise. Why not just eat your vegetables and not worry about what other people are eating. You made an ethical and healthy lifestyle choice, good for you. Now leave me to eat my lifestyle choice in peace.

its probably because they feel like we are doing great harm to ourselves and they want to help us. kind of like how people will have a talk with a friend who is really overweight or an alcoholic.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I heard that human tastes like pork.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Herbivores - Why?

:happy: :happy: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

THANK YOU!!

Hit the nail on the head

Oh, also just want to post this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvjBO7DzjA

Sorry if it offends, I just find it hilarious thought some light-hearted entertainment or 'fun' (as this forum is supposed to be partly about) was needed...
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    You have constantly implied superiority and your husband has outright stated it rather aggressively. I have no problem with vegetarians but I do not agree that it is the only way to go, nor do I believe that it is the best way to go. Have a good evening.

Why is it that you don't seem to have heard everything else I said, but merely that I feel superior because I am a vegetarian. I was just being honest. Why does that bother you?

How about the hard arguments about meat being implicated in chronic diseases? I notice you have not mentioned that.

I have replied to all of your assertions. I do not have any current data sitting on my desk about chronic diseases so I cannot speak about that at the moment. But, do you think that it was because prehistoric man ate meat that we now have this sudden spike in chronic diseases or do you think that it may be a lack of moderation in our omnivore diet?

The correlation between meat eating and chronic diseases is the HEART of the argument, both as to why humans are vegetarian, and why meat eating is bad. If you don't have some studies sitting on your desk at the moment, you better find soime before you continue this discussion. And as I said, please find me ONE study that implicates eating vegetables in chronic diseases.
    Nobody said eating vegetables was bad for you.

No, nobody said that. No body COULD say that. But let's look at this logically. If eating vegetables can NEVER be bad for you, and eating meat can sometimes (arguably I think most times) be bad for you, then is man a vegetarian species?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    for arguments sake lets assume eating meat IS bad for you. why not just eat it as a treat from time to time like a cupcake?

Indeed, if people ate 70g of meat per week or less, chronic diabetes, obesity, heart disease, colon cancer, and so many other diseases would probably disappear. You are right. I wouldn't do that for ethical reasons, but I am not arguing ethics here, only practicality.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1360609/Red-meat-DOES-increase-risk-bowel-cancer-If-eat-3-ham-slices-day.html

It refers to a study that I can also get you the link to. It would take a few minutes.

Thanks, but this specifically refers to processed meats. That doesn't make this invalid, but it doesn't reference fresh (unprocessed/minimally processed) meat.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

It would take me a while to find the study, but the study refers to red meat and processed meat. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks, but this specifically refers to processed meats. That doesn't make this invalid, but it doesn't reference fresh (unprocessed/minimally processed) meat.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    No, nobody said that. No body COULD say that. But let's look at this logically. If eating vegetables can NEVER be bad for you, and eating meat can sometimes (arguably I think most times) be bad for you, then is man a vegetarian species?
    I think people with allergies to nuts, avacados etc. would disagree with you. And as I always say, no - humans are omnivorous, not obligate herbivores.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Herbivores - Why?

The short answer is that some ethical vegetarians would like to see consumer demand for meat go down. The hope would be that market forces would make it less profitable for farmers to raise animals, and more profitable for farmers to raise plants.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17345967

Another report of the red meat study. Still looking for a link to the actual study.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options

How about GERD?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

their rectum
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    I think people with allergies to nuts, avacados etc. would disagree with you. And as I always say, no - humans are omnivorous, not obligate herbivores.

Were obligate herbivores, not omnivores. The editor of the American Journal of Cardiology agrees with me:

"When we kill the animals to eat them, they end up killing us because their flesh, which contains cholesterol and saturated fat, was never intended for human beings." --William C. Roberts, M.D., editor of The American Journal of Cardiology