Replies

• MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Cuban.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. it is interesting to see that the carnivore post has way more responses than the vegetrian one. So I am thinking the people that do not eat may feel a little superior and bashing the people who do eat me.

hmmmm, interesting bias. Actually, if you actually read through the posts, you will see a vast majority of the vegetarians not bashing meat eaters at all (there are some excpetions to this yes). And actually most of the flame posts come from meat eaters.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I went vegan (on a dare) and while it expanded my horizons, it did not replace the yummy goodness of meat, eggs, dairy, etc.... I cut down on meat and dairy, but I still love it! Mmmmm grilled chicken. Turkey burgers with cheese. Yum!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Carnivores always get offended? You don't intend to offend anyone? Why can't vegetarians just leave the carnivores alone? You eat what you want and let the carnivores eat meat. I think vegetarians get more out of sorts when someone questions THEM about their choices. Let sleeping dogs lie.
    PS Anyone who starts their post with "I don't intend to offend anyone." .. usually does.:noway:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    hmmm.. it is interesting to see that the carnivore post has way more responses than the vegetrian one. So I am thinking the people that do not eat may feel a little superior and bashing the people who do eat me.

hmmmm, interesting bias. Actually, if you actually read through the posts, you will see a vast majority of the vegetarians not bashing meat eaters at all (there are some excpetions to this yes). And actually most of the flame posts come from meat eaters.

I see a lot of very general claims of attack and a lot of garbage... but that's what I always see on MFP threads. :)

Outside of MFP I honestly see meat eaters being ****s to vegetarians all the time but I also see vegetarians being complete ****s to meat eaters. I've decided that this can mean only one thing;

Some people are just ****s.
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    No, I am trying to get to the bottom of a flawed argument that leads followers to deem themselves morally superior. I find it interesting that you would leave rather than actually attempt to logically work out the discussion and defend your stance.

I cannot answer for the person you were quoting. But personally, I do not feel morally superior in any way. I do not eat meat because it makes ME feel better about MYSELF, not feel that I am better than anyone else.

(Caps for emphasis not because I am shouting!!)

Edited to fix quote

I don't feel morally superior, either, so I don't know where this person got that from. I just don't eat meat because it is what makes me happy and ok with my food decisions. I don't think I am better than anyone. I know I have plenty of other things that people would probably find morally objective about me.

I am not going to lie. I do feel morally superior. And healthier.

Glad you feel healthier than someone you have never met. I find your discussion style rather aggressive and judgemental. Is this going to be an exchange of ideas or you just sniping comments?

I am happy to exchange idea. In the realm of vegetarianism, ideas on diet are based on studies, like the China Study, the Framingham Study, the German Vegetarian study and about a thousand more. Anything unsupported by science is mere opinion.

Now I also assumed that when you said you wanted a discussion, you wanted an honest discussion. Honestly I feel morally superior to meat eaters. I could lie and be politically correct, and I will if it makes you feel more comfortable, but I can eat and survive without killing a sentient feeling being. I am superior.

I know that is going to convince no one, but at least I am being honest. What SHOULD convince you are the hundreds of studies done on diets that demonstrate that meat is implicated in chronic diseases and shorter life span. Humans are a vegetarian species. We are not meant to eat meat. There is ample evidence for that.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Last point, also, before I leave and go be more productive...

If you love eating meat so much, you should be happy that the vegetarians aren't eating it, because that's more bacon for you.

Plus, in an economy based on supply and demand, the less people that there are to eat the meat, the less demand there will be for it. With less demand comes a reduction in prices. Yay, cheap baconz.

So hug a vegetarian today.

#peacenlovenallthatshiz
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I see a lot of very general claims of attack and a lot of garbage... but that's what I always see on MFP threads. :)

Outside of MFP I honestly see meat eaters being ****s to vegetarians all the time but I also see vegetarians being complete ****s to meat eaters. I've decided that this can mean only one thing;

Now that is something I definately agree with you on!!
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    250px-Koala_climbing_tree.jpg
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Dear Vegetarians:

Hate to break it to you... but plants are living things too!

Oh good lord.....this is the best you can do?

^^ Is THIS the best YOU can do?

First, pick a tomato. Then, run down a wild boar, wrestle it to the ground, and fight it to the death. Now, let's compare those two experiences.

So you would prefer to feed on the reproductive organs of a helpless plant rather than allow a creature to fight or its life?

Are you deliberately trying not to understand my point?

Are you deliberately trying to evade the point that plants are living things as well? So it is no less humane to kill an animal than harvest plants.

You forget that it takes at least 2 pounds of plant food to create a single pound of meat (some estimates are much higher). Therefore, if your heart bleeds for plants, you are causing double the 'pain' due to your food choice. But truly, I doubt if you would put the 'suffering' of plants on the order you do of animals, that you aren't being at all serious. I cut my teeth on this argument as a young vegetarian 40 years ago, so you aren't being as original as you may think you are being.

I am fully conscious of my place in the world as an omnivore so my heart does not bleed for the food chain. But, new studies in the physiology of plants have come out in the last 40 years that may change your views on sentience and how it relates to the plant world. If your vegetarian/veganism is based on the moral argument that it is cruel to feed on living, sentient creatures, then logic dictates that you must expand this to plant life as well.

Really? Could you give me cite to at least ONE of these many studies? Since plants don't have nervous systems, I really want to see this. I've only read two pages of this but already I have seen the usual dumb arguments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html?_r=3&em

Here is the article in the NYT that was part of the earlier part of the discussion.

The New York Times is not a scientific journal and is frequently full of drivel. Kindly refer me to a STUDY that shows plants feel pain.

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/29/10033.full.pdf+html?sid=f78311f9-74dc-4ef7-a8a6-0993bb8ae907

I read the abstract of this article. It has NOTHING to do with plants feeling pain. It concerns adoptive evolutionary strategies, nothing more.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No offense here - I feel everyone is entitled to their opinions. I eat meat, chicken, fish, etc. because I like the way it tastes. If I don't like the way it tastes (like broccoli:sick:) I won't eat it.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

Probably because they are tired of being judged by vegetarians. Works both ways. If someone is criticizing one group, the other will be up in arms. Can't we all just get along? (RIP Rodney)
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    because God gave us canine teeth for a reason.. to tear through flesh
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Because I grew up eating long before I ever had a choice in the matter, and I like it. I love me some meat.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    WHY DO I HAVE TO DEFEND MY LIFE CHOICES TO YOU!?! WE SHOULD ALL JUST KEEP TO OURSELVES AND NOT TRY TO UNDERSTAND OTHER PEOPLE'S POINT OF VIEW!

This. Also, I am an omnivore. Though, I am not a big meat eater, I do LOVE chicken. :)
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Dear Vegetarians:

Hate to break it to you... but plants are living things too!

Oh good lord.....this is the best you can do?

^^ Is THIS the best YOU can do?

First, pick a tomato. Then, run down a wild boar, wrestle it to the ground, and fight it to the death. Now, let's compare those two experiences.

So you would prefer to feed on the reproductive organs of a helpless plant rather than allow a creature to fight or its life?

Are you deliberately trying not to understand my point?

Are you deliberately trying to evade the point that plants are living things as well? So it is no less humane to kill an animal than harvest plants.

You forget that it takes at least 2 pounds of plant food to create a single pound of meat (some estimates are much higher). Therefore, if your heart bleeds for plants, you are causing double the 'pain' due to your food choice. But truly, I doubt if you would put the 'suffering' of plants on the order you do of animals, that you aren't being at all serious. I cut my teeth on this argument as a young vegetarian 40 years ago, so you aren't being as original as you may think you are being.

I am fully conscious of my place in the world as an omnivore so my heart does not bleed for the food chain. But, new studies in the physiology of plants have come out in the last 40 years that may change your views on sentience and how it relates to the plant world. If your vegetarian/veganism is based on the moral argument that it is cruel to feed on living, sentient creatures, then logic dictates that you must expand this to plant life as well.

Really? Could you give me cite to at least ONE of these many studies? Since plants don't have nervous systems, I really want to see this. I've only read two pages of this but already I have seen the usual dumb arguments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/science/22angi.html?_r=3&em

Here is the article in the NYT that was part of the earlier part of the discussion.

The New York Times is not a scientific journal and is frequently full of drivel. Kindly refer me to a STUDY that shows plants feel pain.

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/29/10033.full.pdf+html?sid=f78311f9-74dc-4ef7-a8a6-0993bb8ae907

I read the abstract of this article. It has NOTHING to do with plants feeling pain. It concerns adoptive evolutionary strategies, nothing more.

What do you think pain is other than our body telling us to react to negative stimuli?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of flesh.... and blood... mmmm... the metallic taste of blood... there are times where I crave it.

Edit: I could go for a big juicy steak right now.... mmm...

or better yet, how about some venison... I have a particular fondness to eating bambi's mom... particularly in the form of stew, chili, or sausages.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Probably because they are tired of being judged by vegetarians. Works both ways. If someone is criticizing one group, the other will be up in arms. Can't we all just get along? (RIP Rodney)

Absolutely! I would just like to extend that circle of beings just getting along to include animals.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    because God gave us canine teeth for a reason.. to tear through flesh

Lulz. God.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options

That made me smile. Some people are just ****s. :P