Hypothyroidism - Can't lose weight!!!

Options

Replies

• broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    It really sucks. We have a total uphill battle when it comes to weight loss!! Like others have said, make sure you are on correct levels and ask your Dr. about supplements. I take a multivitamin, as well as additional B12. This has helped out a lot with my energy levels. I also try to avoid foods with soy as much as I can. Don't give up, it can be done!!!
  • Kelkath72
    Kelkath72 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    hey :happy: hypothyroid for 8 years. on synthroid for all that time and no symptom change. my levels are always "normal" but i still feel like crap. talked with my new Nurse Practioner and he will be starting me on Armour tomorrow. looking forward to see how it works!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that you have not given up, but disagree with you on the " I tried EVERYTHING " part.
    You have not tried to get well adjusted on your meds.
    I lost my thyroid to cancer, which by definition makes me hypothyroid and after treatment of a year ( chemo & radiation and recovery) it took me two more years and many trials and error until I was adjusted and went through many small additional adjustments over the last 6 years after that.
    I take two pills twice a day of " Novotiral " ( which consists of 100 mgs of Levothyroxine and 20mgs of Cytomel in one pill ) and in addition twice a day 20mgs of Cytomel for a total of 400mgs of Levothyroxine and 80mgs of Cytomel and have lost 50 pounds since April 2013.
    In the beginning I was also on the " typical " low dose, which did not do anything for me.
    Only after seeing a well informed and up-to-date endocrinologist who not only went by lab reports ( which showed normal thyroid hormone levels, even though I had not had a thyroid for several years ), but also by my total thyroid related health history and was put on an ever increasing dose until I started to feel well. It took a long time, because I had to wait fo about two month each time to see how things worked out.
    I have been feeling ok from my thyroid for a couple of years now with minor tweaking here and there.

In case someone wonders, because typically thyroid meds are taken in the AM before ingesting food. There is another window for those who like I take a much higher dose, which needs to be distributed differently. That window is before going to sleep and three hours after the last food of the day. This means I take half my meds in the AM and the other half before bed.
    In terms of food I avoid nothing, including soy ( which I only eat in the form of tofu ) and I don't take any supplements for personal reasons. I do however avoid all industrially and chemically processed food as well as additives of the same nature, because I have Lupus and don't know if that influences my thyroid related well being....but don't care as long as my energy is acceptable.....:o).

ETA: I should add that I eat 1200 calories a day.......the fact that I am under five feet and past my mid-60's plays a big role in the amount of calories I ingest. I eat a lot of natural foods, cook all my meals and so far have never felt deprived. I also walk 45 minutes six days a week and sometime a bit more, depending on how I feel, because my battle now is rampant systemic Lupus, which makes me happy that my thyroid problem is controlled, because I could not handle both of them at the same time.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    hey :happy: hypothyroid for 8 years. on synthroid for all that time and no symptom change. my levels are always "normal" but i still feel like crap. talked with my new Nurse Practioner and he will be starting me on Armour tomorrow. looking forward to see how it works!

My sister swears by Armour but it became difficult to find so she switched to synthroid. She continued having issues and was finally diagnosed correctly with hashimoto disease.

I am on 175 of synthroid. What sucks about thyroid issue is that it can take years to get your meds adjusted out correctly. Also, I test every three months to make sure my levels are normal and I will ALWAYS ask for my Vit D to be tested too. There have been times I've been extremely tired and thought it was my thyroid when it was actually my Vit D. But it wasn't until I switched my diet around and now eat more whole foods, veggies and fruits and less carbs, along with taking my vitamins that I actually no longer have that exhaustion feeling. Also, I don't take generic synthroid. I've been told it can negatively impact your levels. But I know that can run into a cost issue for some folks.

It's a battle to get everything evened out and I wish you all the best of luck!
  • TheaYonge
    TheaYonge Posts: 13
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroid. It was awful. I had one doctor literally tell me I had the rec-center, nutritionist and family involved in a giant lie. I was so mad I was in tears. He said I was crying because I was lying. Never saw the jerk again. So, new doctor. Walk in with my list of complaints, my youngest with me (21 years old) and she spouts out, look my mom eats 1200 calories works out circles around me and gains weight. I am now taking Armor Therapy, and am losing weight! Grant it, I may never see 135, but 214 is gone. I am at 205 in a week. I am working hard at not being very excited. Get this checked. BTW, I still won't take a picture of myself.
  • TheaYonge
    TheaYonge Posts: 13
    Options
    I also went Gluten Free.
  • blkane1984
    blkane1984 Posts: 23
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 26 years ago just after my second son was born. My weight creeped well over the 200 mark. I've have tried and failed to lose weight during that time. It was depressing and demoralizing. I had resigned myself to the idea that I would be fat forever as if it was just my genetics.

However, I think I finally found something that works for me. The secret is it is not about "just" my thyroid. It is a whole body thing. Over the last year, I have found that I am also gluten sensitive. I've given up gluten and most processed foods. Making food from scratch takes a long time on a week night but I feel healthier, more energized and I'm losing weight. I'm down 9lbs since April.

An important note is that I had to drop my calorie goal signifiantly. I think hypo-folks generally run with a slower base metabolism. MFP calc'd me at 1600 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week. After 2 weeks of diligent tracking, I lost 2 ounces. I recalc'd my goal to 2lbs a week which dropped me to 1300 calories. I am now losing my desired 1lb a week. :happy:

I'm sure it will be different for everyone but this is what has worked for me. Sometime, 1300 calories is hard to manage and I go over every couple of days but I'm not beating myself up as long as I stay under 1600.

Good luck!
  • dfazenb3
    dfazenb3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was originally diagnosed with thyroid issues in 2009 during a cervical vertebrae fracture injury. At first I was diagnosed with graves disease and of course my luck crashed to hashimoto disease within 6 months. My whole world turned upside down, went from healthy to needing glasses, g.I. problems, dehydration, not be able to stay awake, etc. After gaining 31lbs in less then 5 weeks I gave up on my doctor because he did not believe that I was only eating salads, drinking water, and no sodas. He basically was ridiculing me, I was devastated. I have up against docs. Fast forward to 2014 thyroid acting crazy again, very depressed, no energy, no motivation, gained almost one hundred pounds in the past year. I need help, I'm taking synthroid but still feel awful. I've been hearing a lot about armour... can anyone plz tell me some things bad or good to help me with my decision. I just wanna feel like me again, I don't even feel like my cheerful, outgoing, m of four children.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with getting weight off, too. I've been very sluggish lately though, so it might be time for a re-check. Following this thread. :)
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Texting from my iPhone please excuse any typos.
    I switched to Armor in spite of doctor and nurse practitioner having fits over it and felt miraculously better in about three weeks. I did not lose any weight yet. Lol
    I listened on radio to an md saying T3 is what we are missing if we are dragging on synthroid.
  • sherijberi71
    sherijberi71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just starting on the journey with similar facts to your story. How is it going?
    SK
  • hotsungirl
    Options
    I am sticking as close to the 1200 mark as I can. I don't eat the extra calories I've burned off either. It is difficult! I realize all the things I've really liked, like coffee with cream and flavors added, and wine, have a lot of hidden, sneaky calories! Darn!
    I won't do aspartame and I have Hashimotos.
    I think I've finally accepted that my metabolism is low. low low low ;) I am on 90mg of Armour. At least I have energy.
    So, calculating in my mind for the thyroid, I think 1200 calories and working out hard means about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week if I'm lucky. No, it isn't about too little calories and slowing my metabolism...my metabolism has been slow all on its own ;-)
    Keep sharing ladies and feel free to add me...I am motivated by reading your posts and about your own challenges. It is nice not to feel alone in this battle (especially when the MD rolls their eyes as if I'm lying about what I'm logging as my diet for the day!)

:)

Caro
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I am sticking as close to the 1200 mark as I can. I don't eat the extra calories I've burned off either.… I have Hashimotos.
    I think I've finally accepted that my metabolism is low. low low low ;) I am on 90mg of Armour.… I think 1200 calories and working out hard means about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week.
    According to your ticker, you have 16 lbs. to go. At your size, a healthy loss is .5 lb. per week. 1.5 lbs. per week is way too aggressive a goal.

Please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add that I have Hashimoto's, and the advice in the Sexypants link worked for me.
  • hotsungirl
    Options
    I feel really good. I have lots of energy. I am sleeping well. I work out with a trainer and a group four times a week. As long as I stay feeling good and not hungry, I am going with it. But thank you! I will go read your link.

Caro
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, kudos for not giving up the fight!!!! I'm on Armour as well, but my wonderful endo increased my meds 50%. I maintained about a 1100-1200 calorie diet, and the weight just melted off. Find a good endo, and don't give up-YOU know yourself best, and don't let the docs boss you around. I KNEW something was wrong and my doc wasn't listening-I went to an endo and the rest is history. Hang in there and good luck!
  • trudieobrien
    trudieobrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you've just been diagnosed, give it time for your body to adjust, I have had hypo for 30 years, be sure to check every 3 mos you may need to adjust dosage, mine fluctuates and then Dr adjusts dosage,
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 20 years ago with hypothyroidism. I've been tested annually and my levothyroxin dosage has varied from 150 mcg at the highest to 112 mcg today. If you ever feel draggy or just not yourself, get a re-check.

For years, I blamed my thyroid for my slow, insidious weight gain. I was athletic most of my younger years and even after my first two daughters were born, I was back to 5 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight of 135 and 137 (they were born a year and a day apart :wink: ) After my son was born and I was approaching my mid-30s, that's when the weight seemed to inch up. Because it was so gradual, I just thought it was normal because I was getting older.

Most likely it was because I stopped being active, working 10 hours a day in front of the computer. Eating lots of bread, crackers and comfort food. We didn't eat out a lot but I cooked and fed everyone well. No idea of portion size (yeah, I wish I could have gotten a kitchen scale years ago). I drank a 2 liter of diet pop every day which contributed to my crazy cravings for carbs, I truly believe. I topped out at 200.

I found Map My Fitness last October and then My Fitness Pal this winter. Changed my life. I learned how to eat and exercise right. How to stop making excuses and be accountable for everything I ate or drank. What a difference. I've lost 31 pounds slowly and I will continue to press on for the remaining 14.

You CAN lose weight if your hypo-thyroidism is managed and you log your food and exercise. Keep the faith and work at it!
  • adiaedel
    Options
    Hi everyone...

It helps to know everyone has these issues.. i am hypothyroid and have the same problem.. killer workouts and <=1000 calorie diet and no effect at all... I am 5 2 and weigh 134 pounds.. For the past 1.5 years, I have been on levothyroxine 137 mcg and wonder if that is the issue...2 years back I was on synthroid and my body responded to diet and exercise and I was able to maintain within 120 pounds.. Because that is the only difference in these 2 years.. Many here seem to suggest synthroid is better than levothyroxine.. Also just the couple of weeks i was out of medication , I felt more active and positive compared to my sluggish state with medication..

Also, I practiced yoga and there are some postures which benefit thyroid and increase blood flow to the gland.. I cannot prove it works.. But when I was practicing it, I did feel better.. So, you may wanna check them out..

Will talk to my doctors and post updates here...
    Hang on everyone.. We are together in this battle against thyroid..