Hypothyroidism - Can't lose weight!!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• mkg4653
    mkg4653 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I was diagnosed a year ago and had been seeing my family doctor until recently and was having major symptoms still which i mentioned to my doctor and they just said your levels are normal an endocrinologist wont help you much because your case isn't interesting. If a doctor says that run away!!!! I finally got in to see an endocrinologist and she doubled my medicine because my blood work was normal but not at optimum levels. From March 2013 to now I have gained 37 lbs and I know I am much to blame for eating badly and seldom working out but its discouraging when you weigh day to day and whether you eat bad or not you weigh the same. I've been doing some research on weight loss with hypo and I found that a lot of people have had success with an elimination diet where you go 30 days eliminating gluten, sugar, corn, eggs, nuts, and soy and following the 30 days you mix those things back in one at a time to determine if you react to them. It might be that something you are eating is causing inflammation and once you eliminate it from your diet you will start losing weight. I plan to start it soon and will give my results. Another option is paleo or if you want to go super crazy the autoimmune protocol. That's the ultimate elimination diet. The idea is that you are having these problems because you have a "leaky gut" which causes an immune response. These are high fat low carb diets which seem to work better in my experience than straight up low carb because the fat makes you happy and keeps you from going nuts since you cant have yummy carbs. I hope this helps.
  • ericadanielewicz
    Options
    I can 100% relate to this post. I am in the exact same boat. To be honest, my weight loss goals are pretty modest, I was hoping to loose 10 lbs and I managed about 5 and then I couldn't loose a pound to save my life. I changed my fitness routine, adding both more strength training and increasing the weights, adding more cardio and different forms of cardio, and adding in more days at the gym. I also try to stick to a 1350 a day calorie intake and for months I was just about completely adherent even on weekends! About 3 months ago I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. They put me on very low does, and I felt better with in a few weeks. I finally saw some weight loss and lost 3 lbs within 6 weeks and felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After trying for 6 months with serious commitment I'd finally started seeing progress again. I had more energy and my endurance actually improved (something I've never heard anyone else say about their medication, but I truly believe it was due to the medication). After 6 weeks I got another blood test and while my Thryoid numbers had gone down, they wanted to see them decrease slightly more. So they increased my medication and I feel like it reversed all the effects I felt initially. I gained back the 3 lbs I had lost and I felt like I was back to less energy. I wanted to ask some of the women who have struggled with this for years, if your blood work shows progress - for example it's in the right range - do you still have the Thyroid symptoms? Weight gain, low energy, fertility issues? So basically, if your blood work comes back in a good range, but you still don't feel "right" should you ask your doctor for a different brand or dosage? Or typically if your blood work is in the right range you shouldn't see the "symptoms"?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    I don't think it can be used as an excuse. My DW complained about it stalling her weight for years. She had half of hers removed because of a goiter.
    She started ballroom dancing (for amateur competition) about a year ago and eating better (right portions) and lost 30lbs in 6 months. Of course I mentioned to her about portions and consistent exercise, but what do I know?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • helma62
    helma62 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will check this site out. I have been on sythroid for over 18 years.
  • missAfox
    missAfox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always suspected that I may have a a thyroid issue as my weight creeped up. My mom has a hyperactive. Due to constant moves and lack of insurance I kept putting it off on getting checked. I also figured it might be due to the fact that I was not as active as I used to be. About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with hypo. I tried levothyroxin. They kept changing my dosage, I was tired all the time and had crazy mood swings. I stopped taking the medicine for about a year to give my body time to clear it out of my system. I started getting tested again and going to a different doctor about 6 months ago. This time I was given Armour. I can see a huge difference. It also helps that my Dr has to take meds for her thyroid. So she is more understanding of my situation. I asked and got them to spread my testing out a little more so that my body has time to adjust to the medicine instead of changing my dosage every three weeks like last time.

I will say that it is very important to take your medicine consistently. I take mine first thing when I wake up. This way by time I get moving around and making breakfast or coffee the 30 minutes have passed. ( I have to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for 30 minutes).

For the mean time I am also making slow changes in my eating choices and other habits this way I am more likely to stick with it.
  • alienwaregeek
    Options
    I had a pituitary tumor at age 8, where they removed my pituitary. Gained enormous amounts of weight post-op. Now hovering at 390. Had the lap-band and lost 30-40 pounds, but only worked for a short time. I work out 5 days a week, and eat a pretty good diet.

I look around at all the people around me, and see how thin they are, and I'm afraid I'll never be any smaller/thinner than I am right now. And after a brain tumor at 8, scoliosis at 13, temporary paralysis at 14, I just wish I could catch a break. Don't know what to do now.
  • MaryPery68
    Options
    YOU all have given me HOPE.

I was fed up this morning, starting doing research and found this message board. I had Thyroid cancer 2 years ago which now makes me have Hypothyroidism. I have gained 50 pounds and it seems nothing was working to lose this weight. I am excited to have more information and tips and get started again with my weight loss journey. :)
  • bhinoj
    bhinoj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight that is for sure. But you can do it. Don't give up. I am doing low carb with a 1200 calorie day. It is working, sometimes too slow for my liking, and this tends to get me down and want to quit. This site is helping me stay on track with the accountability and friends I have made. I have had hypothyroidism since I was 10 years old. I gain weight so easily and lose so slow, but I lose if I work hard at it.
  • weimj396
    Options
    I honestly have to say.. something must be wrong with me now! I can't budge from 5'6" and 140 or so lbs!! I lift in the gym. I get much respect. I have built some definition in my legs and arms but abdominally, i'm so challenged!! I've read something about insulin issues or carb sensitivity. UGH!! This is ridiculous! I can work circles around most in the gym but i'm THICK and I HATE IT!! Is there NO normal life for thyroid disease people??????