Alcoholism vs. Food Addiction

13»

Replies

• hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    So lemme get this straight. If you have an addiction to alcohol, you have to give it all up, because the idea of being moderate does not exist. What does this have to do with an eating disorder? Your supposed to give up food all together? umm no. You'd have to learn and take steps to eat right.... i.e. moderation. I think thats pretty straight-foward.

Though I'm sure there are some similiar behaviors between the two, the action and results are by far...very opposing.
    lmao no not give up food per say.....but i know me personally i had to give up any type of junk food..... i will eat till i drop if i go to Mcdonalds or piss hut ........french fries , mashed potatoes....and the list goes on and on...well i know i had to cut them straight out of my lifestyle because i CANNOT and will not put it down lmao in fact i'd go back and order more when im done eating......there are certain foods i cant do moderation with :laugh:
    p.s. why did i think i typed in pizza hut? when i actually typed in piss hut? lol
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    So I was thinking about being a food addict last night and I began comparing it to alcoholism. I think the biggest difference is when you realize you are an alcoholic and are ready to change, one of the first steps is to stop drinking. Period. However, as a food addict, you can't stop eating cold turkey. Won't work, for obvious reasons. You have to learn to eat correctly, in correct amounts and at the proper times.

I think this is why it's so hard for me to stop eating. I'm a food addict and every day I'm faced with eating, but I have a hard time making myself stop after just "one meal" (i.e. the correct amount of food) whereas an alcoholic (generalizing) has a hard time stopping after just "one drink". :brokenheart:

What do you think?

I think it is hard to give up both, but....

giving up food, you still have a ton of healthy foods you can eat, healthy foods that taste great

with alcohol, there is no healthy option to alcohol, alcohol is alcohol, it is poison for a diet

It is harder for me to stop drinking than it is to eat bad food
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    So lemme get this straight. If you have an addiction to alcohol, you have to give it all up, because the idea of being moderate does not exist. What does this have to do with an eating disorder? Your supposed to give up food all together? umm no. You'd have to learn and take steps to eat right.... i.e. moderation. I think thats pretty straight-foward.

Though I'm sure there are some similiar behaviors between the two, the action and results are by far...very opposing.
    lmao no not give up food per say.....but i know me personally i had to give up any type of junk food..... i will eat till i drop if i go to Mcdonalds or piss hut ........french fries , mashed potatoes....and the list goes on and on...well i know i had to cut them straight out of my lifestyle because i CANNOT and will not put it down lmao in fact i'd go back and order more when im done eating......there are certain foods i cant do moderation with :laugh:
    p.s. why did i think i typed in pizza hut? when i actually typed in piss hut? lol

i'm gonna have to thank you. You've given me the best advice to curb my appetite and addiction to food. When I get hungry. I suck on my thumb. I started today and it works! Your an angel. :devil:

p.s. we call it Pizza Slut
  • hasiangirl

i'm gonna have to thank you. You've given me the best advice to curb my appetite and addiction to food. When I get hungry. I suck on my thumb. I started today and it works! Your an angel. :devil:

lmaoooo!!!! thumb sucking is great lmao w/e :laugh: :blushing: but the thing is if ure going to suck your thumb do it right! u have to have your index finger curved right under your nose for some reason to rub your upper lip :laugh: :huh:
  • xsargex

lmaoooo!!!! thumb sucking is great lmao w/e :laugh: :blushing: but the thing is if ure going to suck your thumb do it right! u have to have your index finger curved right under your nose for some reason to rub your upper lip :laugh: :huh:

my index finger is my official booger-picker, I dont think so. :laugh:
  • hasiangirl

my index finger is my official booger-picker, I dont think so. :laugh:
    lmao omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: do u pick and eat too?....i wonder how many calories are in a gram of boogers
  • xsargex

lmao omg :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: do u pick and eat too?....i wonder how many calories are in a gram of boogers

i searched it on MFP.....booger = "no results found". I guess we're the only ones. I think I'll add a recipe.
  • hasiangirl

i searched it on MFP.....booger = "no results found". I guess we're the only ones. I think I'll add a recipe.
    lol......ok here we go.... supposedly boogers are good for us lmao :laugh: http://www.belowtopsecret.com/forum/thread219777/pg1
  • xsargex

lol......ok here we go.... supposedly boogers are good for us lmao :laugh: http://www.belowtopsecret.com/forum/thread219777/pg1

hahaha, well you found it on the internet....must be true. Of course, your source would have been more respectable and creditable if you'd found it on wikipedia. Not impressed. :yawn:
  • hasiangirl

hahaha, well you found it on the internet....must be true. Of course, your source would have been more respectable and creditable if you'd found it on wikipedia. Not impressed. :yawn:
    wiki had something to say about it.....but that site was more intresting and funny lmao
  • xsargex
    wow, we really hijacked this thread. Sorry everyone. :bigsmile:
  • hasiangirl
    wow, we really hijacked this thread. Sorry everyone. :bigsmile:
    yes sorry everyone....i blame sarge fully
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Why did you choose food? What made you zero in on food as the focus of your addiction?
    So I was thinking about being a food addict last night and I began comparing it to alcoholism. I think the biggest difference is when you realize you are an alcoholic and are ready to change, one of the first steps is to stop drinking. Period. However, as a food addict, you can't stop eating cold turkey. Won't work, for obvious reasons. You have to learn to eat correctly, in correct amounts and at the proper times.

I think this is why it's so hard for me to stop eating. I'm a food addict and every day I'm faced with eating, but I have a hard time making myself stop after just "one meal" (i.e. the correct amount of food) whereas an alcoholic (generalizing) has a hard time stopping after just "one drink". :brokenheart:

What do you think?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Lauryn I sent you a PM:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Why did you choose food? What made you zero in on food as the focus of your addiction?

What do you think?

I didn't "choose" food as an addiction. Addictions find you, not the other way around. I have been lucky enough to avoid alcoholism thus far in life -- I am genetically predisposed to it, but not as much as my male family.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Lauryn I sent you a PM:flowerforyou:

:smooched: Thanks Jeannie!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I guess choose was a bad word to use I meant more focus. I have several addicts in my family past and present the younger ones use drugs and alcohol but never food (except when smoking). I always wondered why drugs; why not gambling or something else?

What do you think?

I didn't "choose" food as an addiction. Addictions find you, not the other way around. I have been lucky enough to avoid alcoholism thus far in life -- I am genetically predisposed to it, but not as much as my male family.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    I guess choose was a bad word to use I meant more focus. I have several addicts in my family past and present the younger ones use drugs and alcohol but never food (except when smoking). I always wondered why drugs; why not gambling or something else?

Probably due to availability and lack of social stigma. Alcohol and drugs cost too much. Food is easier, cheaper, no one knows about the addiction.That's my guess.

I smoke too. Nasty habit. Quit cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant. (In my mind, there was no choice in that matter.) Picked it back up, put it back down, can't stay quit.
This discussion has been closed.