Average human weighs 137lb - world's fattest countries

Options

Replies

• htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    "You are roughly the same weight as the average adult in Bangladesh" "You're lighter than the average adult in 177 countries", "You're heavier than the average adult in 0 countries"

Well that certainly adds some perspective
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am the average weight of a person in the UK - how very humdrum. Must change that! :sad:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm between Botswana and Kyrgyzstan
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vietnam/ Bhutan....Where is that? Guess this will prompt me to study geography :P
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm between Pakistan and Japan. That's really surprising cause I've never met a Japanese person (I'm a Japanese major so I meet a lot) that wasn't seriously tiny. Perhaps it's cause they don't have separate charts for men and women?

Remember, sumo wrestlers are included (^∇^)
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The average weight of an adult human is 137 pounds (62 kg) according to a league table of the world's 'fattest' nations from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Find out how you compare to other adults using our interactive graphic.

Oddly enough, If you weigh under 60 kg then you can't even apply to the British military
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The average weight of an adult human is 137 pounds (62 kg) according to a league table of the world's 'fattest' nations from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Find out how you compare to other adults using our interactive graphic.

Oddly enough, If you weigh under 60 kg then you can't even apply to the British military

Is that male and female?
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm between Pakistan and Japan. That's really surprising cause I've never met a Japanese person (I'm a Japanese major so I meet a lot) that wasn't seriously tiny. Perhaps it's cause they don't have separate charts for men and women?

Remember, sumo wrestlers are included (^∇^)

:laugh: I thought exactly the same!
  • plummersmate
    Options
    Thanks for this bit of fun, I fall between Saint Lucia and Guatemala but aiming for between Equatorial Guinea and Estonia!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    America the FAT!
    We are a nation of fatties...lol I use the word "fat." F.A.T.
    F is for "Fatal"
    A is for "Awful"
    T is for "Terrible"
    I use that word because that's what people are: they're fat. They're not bulky; they're not large, chunky, hefty or plump. And they're not big-boned. Dinosaurs were big-boned. These people are not overweight: this term somehow implies there is some correct weight... There is no correct weight. Heavy is also a misleading term. An aircraft carrier is heavy; it's not fat.
    Only people are fat, and that's what fat people are!
    They're fat!
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it is 13% of the World's excess weight, not total weight
    No, I believe it does mean total weight, same as the US stat.

The DT says total weight, but the original research paper states in the abstract:

"In 2005, global adult human biomass was approximately 287 million tonnes, of which 15 million tonnes were due to overweight (BMI > 25), a mass equivalent to that of 242 million people of average body mass (5% of global human biomass). Biomass due to obesity was 3.5 million tonnes, the mass equivalent of 56 million people of average body mass (1.2% of human biomass). North America has 6% of the world population but 34% of biomass due to obesity. Asia has 61% of the world population but 13% of biomass due to obesity. One tonne of human biomass corresponds to approximately 12 adults in North America and 17 adults in Asia. If all countries had the BMI distribution of the USA, the increase in human biomass of 58 million tonnes would be equivalent in mass to an extra 935 million people of average body mass, and have energy requirements equivalent to that of 473 million adults."

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/12/439/abstract

The key phrase in the research paper is "biomass due to obesity", i.e. the excess weight.
  • tracymnx
    tracymnx Posts: 105
    Options
    Im inbetween Canada and Ireland!

My ideal weight would be inbetween the Comoros and Haiti (135 lbs)
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Average US . . . .but working on it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I'm just like an American from Micronesia, which should probably be Macronesia.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The DT says total weight, but the original research paper states in the abstract:
    <snip>

The key phrase in the research paper is "biomass due to obesity", i.e. the excess weight.
    Good spot, as a science journalist I'm kicking myself now. Ben Goldacre is ashamed :frown:
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm between Germany and Bahrain but aiming for between Afghanistan and Malawi ;)
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Is that male and female?

Yes it is...I'm female and when I applied, I had to put ON 3.5kgs before I was taken in, although I passed every thing else. And then they ruined me over a period of 7 years...ergo why I'm now here trying to LOSE weight! :( lol
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm between Canada and Ireland :smile:
  • iSpuggz
    iSpuggz Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm the same as the average South African. Probably stronger than a few of them though.

An bloke who does regular weight training is around 180+ pounds and that now means he's FAT according to this ridiculous thing. I'm mean seriously, there's fat people and there's strong people who weight around the same. Now everyone who weighs a bit is stereotyped as fat.

Plus height has a bit to do with it...you can be 5 foot and 130 pounds but I'd imagine most people wouldn't look slim at that heigh but it's below their "you're fat" weight.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as the average South African. Probably stronger than a few of them though.

An bloke who does regular weight training is around 180+ pounds and that now means he's FAT according to this ridiculous thing. I'm mean seriously, there's fat people and there's strong people who weight around the same. Now everyone who weighs a bit is stereotyped as fat.

Plus height has a bit to do with it...you can be 5 foot and 130 pounds but I'd imagine most people wouldn't look slim at that heigh but it's below their "you're fat" weight.

Okay, okay, chill! It's a bit of light entertainment for us, it's not The Fit Bible! :flowerforyou: