PEOPLE...EAT!!!

Options
It seams like every post I've ready today about someone being dizzy, not feeling good, not losing weight, not having energy, etc is because they are eating less than 1,200 net calories. If your goal is 1,300 calories (which I would die on by the way) and you burn 700 calories through exercise that means you really only at 600 calories for the day! Your body can not function on that!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling dizzy and weak because I have flu. I seem to be eating quite a lot.
  • mazasmusings
    mazasmusings Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's true. In reality, if you're doing that, then this site is of little use to you. You might as well just call it what it is - a crash diet. That said, sometimes I do eat less than my limit, but that's because I've found that when I exercise, I have less of an appetite.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i eat under 1200 almost every day walk 5 miles almost every morning not to mention a job where i walk , lift . climb ladders for 8-10 hrs a day not to mention swim when i can at least 3 days aweek and i have lost 20 lbs have the energy level of a 2 yr old and now find that i need way less sleep than before
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!

Preach on, sista! :flowerforyou:
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i eat under 1200 almost every day walk 5 miles almost every morning not to mention a job where i walk , lift . climb ladders for 8-10 hrs a day not to mention swim when i can at least 3 days aweek and i have lost 20 lbs have the energy level of a 2 yr old and now find that i need way less sleep than before

CRAZY I could have written this post! The exact same is true for me too, some days I find it hard to net above zero. I have tons of energy and am never hungry cause I eat lots of protein. I'm losing approx 3 lbs per week and don't feel deprived at all.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

You will either burn out, get injured from not feeding your body enough to repair the muscles that are being used all day, or you will gain it all back. Not trying to be mean or spiteful....i've been there done that. SEVERAL times. It took me 8 months to lose 37lbs and I fit into clothes that previously I only wore after starving myself then gaining it back. Slow and steady wins this race.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

You will either burn out, get injured from not feeding your body enough to repair the muscles that are being used all day, or you will gain it all back. Not trying to be mean or spiteful....i've been there done that. SEVERAL times. It took me 8 months to lose 37lbs and I fit into clothes that previously I only wore after starving myself then gaining it back. Slow and steady wins this race.

This isn't necessarily true. I know a lot of MFP members want to believe that everyone is exactly the same and must do exactly the same things to lose weight. But that simply isn't true. Not everyone of the same size needs the same amount of calories.
  • ashleygonzalez1
    Options
    I have to disagree as well. I didn't have energy due to not sleeping or resting very well. Sleep is a huge part of weight loss as our bodies repair at night and the hormones that are needed for digestion (cortisol, leptin, and ghrelin) are produced at night!

For me, a typical breakfast would be a protein smoothie made up of a vegan protein powder (no gluten, yeast, soy, corn, etc), 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of berries and psyllium powder. Sometimes greens powder but that depends on my mood. That's usually around 300 calories.

If I go to they gym, I will have a snack of a brown rice cake and a tbsp of almond butter pre-workout. 150 calories

Lunch, on a typical week, will consist of a brown rice wrap, 2 cups of greens (lettuce, etc), 4-6 oz turkey or chicken (depending on hunger), olive oil and vinegar. On the side, I'll usually throw some other veggies together like cucumbers and olives or bell peppers cut up. YUM - That's usually around 400 calories.

Dinner is typically 4-6 oz of a clean lean meat, two cups of a cruciferous vegetable (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc), salad greens, and if I choose to, a high fiber carb like beans or brown rice or carrots. That's usually between 300-400 calories.

All of that is right around 1200 calories, give or take. Subtract the usual 400+ calories I burn doing cardio and weight lifting, then I have a good deficit going on. On the rare occasion I'm still hungry, I'll eat a few calories back in healthy nuts or something with protein. Other than that, it's how I maintain my slow 1-2 lbs of weight loss a week.

There is so much more to losing weight than eating less calories... There is sleeping, less stressing, finding your bliss, eating less, exercising more and removing inflammatory foods from your diet among a whole host of other things. My journey started with wanting to lose weight to look good and is ending with finding my bliss, my happiness, and creating a life for myself that is centered on a healthy life and healthy attitude. This has rubbed off on my husband and he's now eating healthier and in doing so has lost 22 lbs. My daughter is taking less ADHD medication because she's eating healthier foods. It's a cycle of healthiness I hope we will always continue!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It seams like every post I've ready today about someone being dizzy, not feeling good, not losing weight, not having energy, etc is because they are eating less than 1,200 net calories. If your goal is 1,300 calories (which I would die on by the way) and you burn 700 calories through exercise that means you really only at 600 calories for the day! Your body can not function on that!

thank you. at least some people understand.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

2 year olds don't have a lot of energy. They take lots of naps and cannot do anything with good endurance. And they are super cranky when they don't get enough sleep.

Just sayin....
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options

This isn't necessarily true. I know a lot of MFP members want to believe that everyone is exactly the same and must do exactly the same things to lose weight. But that simply isn't true. Not everyone of the same size needs the same amount of calories.

thank you for responding to this; I really just get sick of the haters who think if you don't do it my way you're doing it wrong and it's somehow unhealthy or dangerous. There is no one size fits all solution to diet or exercise or the diet industry wouldn't be a multi billion dollar one where people seem to get fatter every year anyway. Not everyone is weak or faint because of eating too little, sometimes it could he the freaking heat... HELLO it's 105 here and it's going to get hotter before the summer is over. Could lack of fuel be the problem? Maybe, but it's way better to make a suggestion based on your experience than to judge since you're not in their shoes and even reading a food diary if available doesn't tell the whole story.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

You would only "really be only at 600 calories for the day" if you had no excess weight to lose and/or your body could not use yesterday's calories to fuel today's activities.

Not everyone here is starving and stupid.

95% of dieters re-gain so even if you spend 2 years losing 20 lbs. don't feel totally immune. Most dieters are not 'crash dieters'. 1200/day is not a 'crash diet', despite how uncomfortable some may be at it.

I haven't read the posts about people being dizzy, etc. What I've read all morning is the poor people so confused over whether they're supposed to listen to MFP, eat more, eat less, net this, gross that. Because the diet plan here is too complex and the forum is so full of misinformation like EAT MORE, starvation mode, your body is a car that needs filled up daily, you'll wreck your metabolism, you have to 'eat back', etc.
  • tlc36
    tlc36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you must have a two year old...lol
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

The site sets by default 1200 calories, without knowing much about the site and the knowledge that you can make your own changes you think that is what everyone should follow. I was full but had no energy, and all i did was sleep. When I took my dairy to my doctor he flipped, bumped me up to 1400-1600 calories and want me watching the fats and sodium more than anything,due to a heart attack. The weight will come more slowly but I am eating healthier thannbefore
  • turnercherrie
    Options

you got to eat yourself slim !!!!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I do have to agree, I was eating like this in the past and after a few months, almost a year, I did burn out, became weak...But... I was losing weight! At the time I saw the weight drop so I continued, until I dropped, but that was me, I might be the odd one who eventually could no longer live on 1200 or less with a lot of activity. Just learned the hard way.:ohwell:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the posts about people being dizzy, etc.
    I've seen a few, usually from people with inadequate sodium intake and excessive water consumption.

It is a pain that people who can't control their overeating find it necessary to shout at others with different issues.
  • cornlady
    cornlady Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with you, there are people on here who think they have to be so thin that when they turn sideways they almost disappear...

This is a great site for losing weight, but there are plenty of people who still dont know about empty calories and the healthy foods they should be eating.

I wonder, does anyone from mfp monitor any of these posts to help people with eating disorders?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I do have to agree, I was eating like this in the past and after a few months, almost a year, I did burn out, became weak...But... I was losing weight! At the time I saw the weight drop so I continued, until I dropped, but that was me, I might be the odd one who eventually could no longer live on 1200 or less with a lot of activity. Just learned the hard way.:ohwell:

I had to learn the hard way too.....when my hair started falling out.

My main concern about eating so little (other than the health issues) is what happens when you go to maintenance? If you stay so low for so long, don't you think you will have a hard time eating a proper maintenace level? Eating so little is definitely going to affect your metabolism. How long term will that be? I don't have the answers to this, but I think the question bears asking.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm cranky because I haven't eaten yet today. Stupid work is having awesome pizza and I'm going out to dinner with my friend, so I'm trying to not eat until lunch. Looks like I'm going to have to have a banana, though. I'm super crabby without food.