PEOPLE...EAT!!!

Options

Replies

• tipyourbartender
    tipyourbartender Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My diet was suggested specifically by my doctor. And yeah, it's under 1300. Guess that makes my doctor either wrong or sadistic. :)
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    As a future dietitian... you have no idea how mad it makes me that people are going to their doctors instead of nutrition professionals... ugh. Please go see an RD if you have questions about your diet!!!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I EAT!! That's WHY I'm fat!~!! :(

Um, no...this is not the reason you are fat. You eat too much and move too little...or you did before you started to lose weight.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I EAT!! That's WHY I'm fat!~!! :(

Um, no...this is not the reason you are fat. You eat too much and move too little...or you did before you started to lose weight.

Such simple logic. Why do people argue over this??
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    First, don't ask your doctor anything. Doctors know about as much about nutrition as a 3-year-old. They are idiots. Funnily enough, the 2000 calorie diet that they usually put people on is pretty much spot on if you eat right and exercise.

I say, do whatever you want. Is 1200 calories enough? I don't think it is. I think people that only eat that much are starving themselves. But, the problem is, no matter what you say to them, they feel fine. So, WTF do I know about it? Maybe they are fine. i'm looking at it through my lens, not theirs. I need sufficiently more calories than that. On the EMTWL diet, I should eat around 2800 calories a day for maintenance at my goal weight. Crazy, huh? So, when I hear people eating 1200 a day, I'm like, OMG...poor girl starving herself to death. I often wonder if it really is necessary, or if they could eat a lot more, like 1800 or 2300 or something, and get the same result. I don't technically know enough about it to presach to them about it, but I do feel that inherently, 1200 is not enough food. I see some of their diaries, and I see what they eat in a day, and sometimes, what I have for bnreakfast is their whole day. It's crazy to me.

But, again, that's me. I'm not them. I can't preach to others. I don't know enough about it all. But, I do sometimes feel sorry for them because I think they are starving themselves and that they could just not do that and get similar results.

I know if it were me, and MFP told me that I could only eat 1200 cals per day, I would heavily research the Eat More to Lose More group here, and really look into it and see if it worked for me. They say you have to stick with it for about 6 to 8 weeks, sometimes longer before you see any results. They explain why. And, you might gain temporarily, which usually scares people. But, there's a lot of people over there that swear that it works. So, my question is, if you can eat more and get the same results without starving, why not just try it rather than say, "it doesn't make sense". It only doesn't make sense because maybe you don't understand how the body really works. Or, maybe it doesn't work at all.

Another thing, (watch out I'm on a roll), EVERYBODY IS NOT DIFFERENT. I get so fecking sick oif hearing that *kitten* that I'm about to blow a gasket. Everybody is almost exactly the same. That's why medicine works the way it does. Pretty much physiology doesn't reqally change much for person to person. There are small difference. But, it all works the same. So, please stop saying everyone is different. At a macro level, they really aren't. Everyone is pretty much the same. It's the opposite of what you keep saying that. you say that because it's an excuse to not try something else and see if it works. In your head, it doesn't make sense, so you reject it, saying that "you're different". You're not different. You are exactly the same as everyone else.

Cheers.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    We're different in that we're not all men and no, we can't all eat 1800-2300/day and lose.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options
    We're different in that we're not all men and no, we can't all eat 1800-2300/day and lose.

Thank you! And we don't all have diabetes or are seniors or going through menopause....all of which have an effect on how my body loses weight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    First, don't ask your doctor anything. Doctors know about as much about nutrition as a 3-year-old. They are idiots. Funnily enough, the 2000 calorie diet that they usually put people on is pretty much spot on if you eat right and exercise.

I say, do whatever you want. Is 1200 calories enough? I don't think it is. I think people that only eat that much are starving themselves. But, the problem is, no matter what you say to them, they feel fine. So, WTF do I know about it? Maybe they are fine. i'm looking at it through my lens, not theirs. I need sufficiently more calories than that. On the EMTWL diet, I should eat around 2800 calories a day for maintenance at my goal weight. Crazy, huh? So, when I hear people eating 1200 a day, I'm like, OMG...poor girl starving herself to death. I often wonder if it really is necessary, or if they could eat a lot more, like 1800 or 2300 or something, and get the same result. I don't technically know enough about it to presach to them about it, but I do feel that inherently, 1200 is not enough food. I see some of their diaries, and I see what they eat in a day, and sometimes, what I have for bnreakfast is their whole day. It's crazy to me.

But, again, that's me. I'm not them. I can't preach to others. I don't know enough about it all. But, I do sometimes feel sorry for them because I think they are starving themselves and that they could just not do that and get similar results.

I know if it were me, and MFP told me that I could only eat 1200 cals per day, I would heavily research the Eat More to Lose More group here, and really look into it and see if it worked for me. They say you have to stick with it for about 6 to 8 weeks, sometimes longer before you see any results. They explain why. And, you might gain temporarily, which usually scares people. But, there's a lot of people over there that swear that it works. So, my question is, if you can eat more and get the same results without starving, why not just try it rather than say, "it doesn't make sense". It only doesn't make sense because maybe you don't understand how the body really works. Or, maybe it doesn't work at all.

Another thing, (watch out I'm on a roll), EVERYBODY IS NOT DIFFERENT. I get so fecking sick oif hearing that *kitten* that I'm about to blow a gasket. Everybody is almost exactly the same. That's why medicine works the way it does. Pretty much physiology doesn't reqally change much for person to person. There are small difference. But, it all works the same. So, please stop saying everyone is different. At a macro level, they really aren't. Everyone is pretty much the same. It's the opposite of what you keep saying that. you say that because it's an excuse to not try something else and see if it works. In your head, it doesn't make sense, so you reject it, saying that "you're different". You're not different. You are exactly the same as everyone else.

Cheers.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • neverstray
    Options

Cheers.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Ha, ha. Awesome.
  • neverstray
    Options

Thank you! And we don't all have diabetes or are seniors or going through menopause....all of which have an effect on how my body loses weight.

That's different.
  • Crochetluvr
    Options

That's different.

That's the point. There are a lot of us that ARE different and "not the same as everyone else". You cant lump everyone into the same group. And what works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for me. I am different, but I don't make excuses. And maybe THAT makes me different, too.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    every body is different. you need to find what works for you and listen to your body. eat and feed it so it works well. :) you can't drive a car on empty for long before it dies.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options

That's different.

That's the point. There are a lot of us that ARE different and "not the same as everyone else". You cant lump everyone into the same group. And what works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for me. I am different, but I don't make excuses. And maybe THAT makes me different, too.

This! I developed gestational diabetes while pregnant and continued with insulin resistance afterwards. People ARE different and I'm sick of the people who say we are all the same!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, knowing from experience! I did this at the start too.
    I'm feeling dizzy and weak because I have flu. I seem to be eating quite a lot.

:laugh: same.
  • ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Easier said than done I'm afraid. My wife struggles with her weight mainly because she doesnt eat. Like you, I harp on about the need to eat but she cites a number of reasons why she doesnt, a.) too busy looking after the kids, b.) not hungry, c.) doesnt like food, d.) doesnt like particular kind of foods etc. etc. There are probably a myriad of reasons why people dont eat as I'm sure theyre are those that deliberately starve themselves in the vain attempt to lose weight. Its to those people that I say, WAKE UP! It doesnt work!
  • ashleygonzalez1
    Options
    I have to disagree as well. I didn't have energy due to not sleeping or resting very well. Sleep is a huge part of weight loss as our bodies repair at night and the hormones that are needed for digestion (cortisol, leptin, and ghrelin) are produced at night!

For me, a typical breakfast would be a protein smoothie made up of a vegan protein powder (no gluten, yeast, soy, corn, etc), 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of berries and psyllium powder. Sometimes greens powder but that depends on my mood. That's usually around 300 calories.

If I go to they gym, I will have a snack of a brown rice cake and a tbsp of almond butter pre-workout. 150 calories

Lunch, on a typical week, will consist of a brown rice wrap, 2 cups of greens (lettuce, etc), 4-6 oz turkey or chicken (depending on hunger), olive oil and vinegar. On the side, I'll usually throw some other veggies together like cucumbers and olives or bell peppers cut up. YUM - That's usually around 400 calories.

Dinner is typically 4-6 oz of a clean lean meat, two cups of a cruciferous vegetable (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc), salad greens, and if I choose to, a high fiber carb like beans or brown rice or carrots. That's usually between 300-400 calories.

All of that is right around 1200 calories, give or take. Subtract the usual 400+ calories I burn doing cardio and weight lifting, then I have a good deficit going on. On the rare occasion I'm still hungry, I'll eat a few calories back in healthy nuts or something with protein. Other than that, it's how I maintain my slow 1-2 lbs of weight loss a week.

There is so much more to losing weight than eating less calories... There is sleeping, less stressing, finding your bliss, eating less, exercising more and removing inflammatory foods from your diet among a whole host of other things. My journey started with wanting to lose weight to look good and is ending with finding my bliss, my happiness, and creating a life for myself that is centered on a healthy life and healthy attitude. This has rubbed off on my husband and he's now eating healthier and in doing so has lost 22 lbs. My daughter is taking less ADHD medication because she's eating healthier foods. It's a cycle of healthiness I hope we will always continue!

It's wonderful that you are eating healthier, and you're right, the food you are eating is an excellent choice. BUT you are not eating nearly enough. I doubt you're even getting enough protein for what you should be eating. I highly recommend you read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a lot of information about weights, cardio, and what you should be eating.

Also, the fact that you said
    All of that is right around 1200 calories, give or take. Subtract the usual 400+ calories I burn doing cardio and weight lifting, then I have a good deficit going on.

Makes it very clear to me that you have no clue how calories work and that you don't realize the detriment you are doing to your body. The 1200 calorie goal is already an EXTREME deficit from the amount you should be eating to maintain. To add even more deficit on top of that is starvation. Have fun when you gain all your weight back. I hope you seriously consider looking into what you are doing to your body with an unbiased view before you seriously damage your health.

Seriously? I have no idea what I'm doing losing 1 to 2 lbs a week steadily? I didn't lose 40 lbs in a month, I've lost it working hard at changing my dietary habits over SIX months and SLOWLY adding exercise to my lifestyle. 1200 calories is not a goal. I don't have a caloric goal at all. I keep the sugar low and the protein high. I log for my benefit, not to see where I am and how much more I can eat for the rest of the day. If I'm hungrier, I eat MORE. If I'm not, I don't. If I want something sweet, I eat a damn apple with almond butter instead of 4 -- 100 calorie packs!

This forum is supposed to be one where people come together to HELP each other out and share a common discourse on the subject of food, weight loss, exercise and nutrition. I don't log on here to be taunted or insinuated stupid. I've read more about nutrition and exercise from different authors over the last 6 months than I have in my entire lifetime. I've talked to the trainers at the gym who push protein shakes, I've talked to my doctor, I've asked other people who've lost a lot of weight what they did differently and looked at Paleo, vegan, vegetarianism, low carb - high protein, low protein - high carb, etc. I found what works for me and my lifestyle and my body. It also happened to work for my husband and daughter (who needed to gain weight and has!), too.

"Have fun when you gain all your weight back. I hope you seriously consider looking into what you are doing to your body with an unbiased view before you seriously damage your health." - Thanks! You're AWESOME!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    First, don't ask your doctor anything. Doctors know about as much about nutrition as a 3-year-old. They are idiots.

You learned this in medical school, then?
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    All of that is right around 1200 calories, give or take. Subtract the usual 400+ calories I burn doing cardio and weight lifting, then I have a good deficit going on.

Makes it very clear to me that you have no clue how calories work and that you don't realize the detriment you are doing to your body. The 1200 calorie goal is already an EXTREME deficit from the amount you should be eating to maintain. To add even more deficit on top of that is starvation. Have fun when you gain all your weight back. I hope you seriously consider looking into what you are doing to your body with an unbiased view before you seriously damage your health.

So you have no idea this person's size and yet you know that 1200 is an EXTREME deficit for her? Not to mention, she's not trying to MAINTAIN, she's trying to lose.

I have never run across a forum with so much misinformation.

It doesn't matter what her height is, maintenance level even for someone 5'0 to 6'0 as a woman is never less than ~1850, so even subtracting 500 from that she shouldn't eat less than 1350, and that's if she's 5'0 or less. If she's wtihin 15 lbs of her goal weight she shouldn't be eating more than a 250 cal deficit and that puts her at 1600. It's literally based on science, try reading a few scientific papers on nutrition before you start calling it misinformation.

I have two masters degrees and work in academia. And I'm done here. I give up.

Fun fact, I'm in academia as well, biomedical engineering and biotechnology undergrad and starting a PhD in bioinformatics in 10 days. I don't think that is relevant, but if we're gonna start spouting off resumes....

*Edited to fix a typo.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree as well. I didn't have energy due to not sleeping or resting very well. Sleep is a huge part of weight loss as our bodies repair at night and the hormones that are needed for digestion (cortisol, leptin, and ghrelin) are produced at night!

For me, a typical breakfast would be a protein smoothie made up of a vegan protein powder (no gluten, yeast, soy, corn, etc), 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 cup of almond or coconut milk, 1/2 cup of water, 1 cup of berries and psyllium powder. Sometimes greens powder but that depends on my mood. That's usually around 300 calories.

If I go to they gym, I will have a snack of a brown rice cake and a tbsp of almond butter pre-workout. 150 calories

Lunch, on a typical week, will consist of a brown rice wrap, 2 cups of greens (lettuce, etc), 4-6 oz turkey or chicken (depending on hunger), olive oil and vinegar. On the side, I'll usually throw some other veggies together like cucumbers and olives or bell peppers cut up. YUM - That's usually around 400 calories.

Dinner is typically 4-6 oz of a clean lean meat, two cups of a cruciferous vegetable (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc), salad greens, and if I choose to, a high fiber carb like beans or brown rice or carrots. That's usually between 300-400 calories.

All of that is right around 1200 calories, give or take. Subtract the usual 400+ calories I burn doing cardio and weight lifting, then I have a good deficit going on. On the rare occasion I'm still hungry, I'll eat a few calories back in healthy nuts or something with protein. Other than that, it's how I maintain my slow 1-2 lbs of weight loss a week.

There is so much more to losing weight than eating less calories... There is sleeping, less stressing, finding your bliss, eating less, exercising more and removing inflammatory foods from your diet among a whole host of other things. My journey started with wanting to lose weight to look good and is ending with finding my bliss, my happiness, and creating a life for myself that is centered on a healthy life and healthy attitude. This has rubbed off on my husband and he's now eating healthier and in doing so has lost 22 lbs. My daughter is taking less ADHD medication because she's eating healthier foods. It's a cycle of healthiness I hope we will always continue!

It's wonderful that you are eating healthier, and you're right, the food you are eating is an excellent choice. BUT you are not eating nearly enough. I doubt you're even getting enough protein for what you should be eating. I highly recommend you read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has a lot of information about weights, cardio, and what you should be eating.

Also, the fact that you said

Seriously? I have no idea what I'm doing losing 1 to 2 lbs a week steadily? I didn't lose 40 lbs in a month, I've lost it working hard at changing my dietary habits over SIX months and SLOWLY adding exercise to my lifestyle. 1200 calories is not a goal. I don't have a caloric goal at all. I keep the sugar low and the protein high. I log for my benefit, not to see where I am and how much more I can eat for the rest of the day. If I'm hungrier, I eat MORE. If I'm not, I don't. If I want something sweet, I eat a damn apple with almond butter instead of 4 -- 100 calorie packs!

This forum is supposed to be one where people come together to HELP each other out and share a common discourse on the subject of food, weight loss, exercise and nutrition. I don't log on here to be taunted or insinuated stupid. I've read more about nutrition and exercise from different authors over the last 6 months than I have in my entire lifetime. I've talked to the trainers at the gym who push protein shakes, I've talked to my doctor, I've asked other people who've lost a lot of weight what they did differently and looked at Paleo, vegan, vegetarianism, low carb - high protein, low protein - high carb, etc. I found what works for me and my lifestyle and my body. It also happened to work for my husband and daughter (who needed to gain weight and has!), too.

"Have fun when you gain all your weight back. I hope you seriously consider looking into what you are doing to your body with an unbiased view before you seriously damage your health." - Thanks! You're AWESOME!

I was trying to HELP you. Literally for the sake of your wellbeing. And I really do hope that you eat more before you hurt yourself.. I wasn't being sarcastic. Sometimes what works really well isn't necessarily what's best for your body.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    touche to the topic!