Eating out at Olive Garden tonight..HELP

Options

Replies

• LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Grilled salmon with veggies and linguini is about 400 calories. Ministrone soup about 100-200. Just dont eat any bread or dessert and you will be fine. Also, the mushroom ravioli is pretty low.
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Whatever you order ask to split it in a half before they serve, and bring the rest to you in a to go box.
    I did that with Montana Grill last weekend
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a graduation party tonight at the Olive Garden. This place has good taste, but not very good on the calories. Anyone have an advise on what is the healthiest to eat there?

Get in a great work out today, and tomorrow, and enjoy your time this evening. Don't get so hung up on every calorie, enjoy the celebration and life! =) If you ate at Olive Garden each day, it would become a problem, but if it's once in a blue moon, I don't think going over on your calories once will make a huge deal!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    soup/salad/breadsticks....I wouldn't stay away. You can't avoid Olive Garden forever, and moderation is fine. If you aren't eating there every day, I say go, eat what you want and enjoy the time with the people you are with. Don't sweat one meal!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would DEFINITELY check the menu before going, but I DO know off the top of my head that the apricot chicken is one of the lower calories meals--it's 2 small chicken breast served with steamed broccoli. Try to portion control the breadsticks. If you REALLY want one, eat half of it with the salad, and then eat the other half with your meal. I agree with other posters about trying to fill up on salad first, but if you can get your own smaller salad bowl-ask for the dressing on the side and pour it on yourself to cut some calories.

But if you REALLY can't break the pasta craving, ask for whole wheat pasta (I know some Olive Gardens offer the option), and either when you order or AS SOON as you get your plate, ask for a To-go box and pack up half of it (and take the box OFF the table--place it in a chair next to you so it's out of sight & you aren't tempted to open the box and eat).

**Added: I disagree with other posters about not going. There's no sense in NOT enjoying life & celebrating moments with friends because it's known to be bad for you. You just have to learn to plan in advance and stick to the plan and practice self-control. And if you go & are successful, it makes it easier for you the NEXT time you are invited to OG-you can order the same thing & not even have to think about it. Enjoy life!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Eat a third to half, if that. I go to Carrabba's semi-regularly and get like 4 meals out of one Pollo Rosa Maria, and it's not even a pasta dish.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There a Olive Garden nutrition chart online: http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

I've found most national chains have nutrition charts online and they are very helpful in making choices beforehand. I always decide what I want and, then an alternate choice, just in case the branch I go to is out of, or doesn't have, my first choice.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing anytime I have to go out to eat and either don't know the nutrition information or I'm worried about eating too much: Just order off-menu. They'll give it to you if you ask:

Plain grilled chicken breast.
    Side of plain steamed veggies
    Side salad, low fat dressing on the side.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't go.

Really? This is your suggestion -- skip a party because it's at Olive Garden?

How else would one learn self control, if they don't practice? They have dishes there that aren't so bad... and the soups/salads that are both pretty tasty and good on a diet. I love their Minestrone... 100 calories for the serving.

Olive Garden does a great job of providing nutrition info on their site, I think you should be able to find something and eat well depending on how many cals you are shooting for. Even eating the salad starter and then 1/2 of an entree should serve you well... Just decide what you want before you get there... then you will already know what you're up for and can account for it the rest of the day, if you want to indulge a little.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was there a couple of days ago and had the apricot chicken (without the sauce, because I'm a low carber) and it was amazing. High sodium, sure, but probably the best choice on the menu that isn't just salad.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I order the salad with no croutons with the lower fat peppercorn dressing on the side and then dip my fork in the dressing before the lettuce. Main course iis the pomodoro with extra garlic and whole wheat noodles. At least 2 meals for me. Sadly,no breadsticks for me-they taste good but nutrigarbage
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would just eat everything because I love the Olive Garden.

Buuuut, since you want to be healthy... Their salad (with dressing) is a little deceptive calorie-wise. You could do soup and salad, or I see someone mentioned the Apricot Chicken.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Something I just found here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/sparkdining-eatery.asp?id=10

•Lean proteins like seafood and chicken are good choices, except when covered in rich alfredo or carbonara sauces. Venetian Apricot Chicken (380 calories, 4 g fat, 1,420 mg sodium)<--This is my go to dish, Shrimp Primavera (730 calories, 12 g fat, 1,620 mg sodium), Herb Grilled Salmon (590 calories, 26 g fat, 720 mg sodium) and Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto (620 calories, 30 g fat, 2,530 mg sodium) are lower in calories and fat than other entrees, but still high in sodium.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    For help in the future- I google the name of the place I am eating at and add the word nutrition at the end (example: Olive Garden nutrition) Have a great party tonight! Here is a link that may be helpful:

http://www.olivegarden.com/menu/nutrition/

Crazy how that works, isn't it.
  • chicago_dad
    chicago_dad Posts: 357
    Options
    salad, skip the bread (butter) sticks. get the dressing on the side. done and done. Nothing there is worth the calories. bet.
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    I always start by eating my whole salad... I love their minestrone soup. Its low cal and yummy... I allow myself one breadstick. If I eat slowly this will usually fill me up.:smile:
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    **Added: I disagree with other posters about not going. There's no sense in NOT enjoying life & celebrating moments with friends because it's known to be bad for you. You just have to learn to plan in advance and stick to the plan and practice self-control. And if you go & are successful, it makes it easier for you the NEXT time you are invited to OG-you can order the same thing & not even have to think about it. Enjoy life!

I agree with this on so many levels. How can one have a full life if you are afraid to live.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options

this plan plan plan ahaead
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Pre plan- stay away from bread and desserts
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would get a plain grilled chicken breast then slather it in mayo.