What's your resting heart rate?

Options
124»

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Mine is 72 dang! With time it will go down. I just got my HRM and started tracking it.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    Low 40's. Its hard for me to know exact because I never wake up without my alarm. So, I can't accurately determine it.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    why is everyone concerned with resting heart rate, when the recovery heart rate is more important?

http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6941.html

"A study in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise shows that a 20-week program of endurance training does not slow the resting heart rate, so it cannot be used as a measure of fitness (1). The best way to measure fitness is to check how long it takes for your heart to slow down after you've exercised as hard as you can. This is called your recovery heart rate.

Another study in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that recovery heart rate is one of the best tests to predict your risk for having a heart attack (2). Recovery heart rate is a measure of fitness and a slow recovery from exercise means that you are out of shape. The study really shows that being out of shape increases your chances of having a heart attack

To measure your recovery heart rate, exercise in your sport as hard as you can for more than 10 minutes. If you run regularly, run fast. If you ride a bicycle, pedal rapidly. Then check your pulse on a heart rate monitor, or place your hands on the sides of your neck where you feel a pulse. Count your pulse for only six seconds and multiply that number times ten to get your heart rate per minute. Your heart slows down immediately after you stop exercising. The longer you count your pulse, the more it will slow down. Wait exactly sixty seconds and then check your monitor again, or count your pulse for six seconds and again multiply that number times ten.

If your heart does not slow down at least thirty beats per minute in the first minute, you are in poor shape. If it slows down more than fifty beats in the first minute, you are in excellent shape. You can use the recovery pulse rate to measure improvements in fitness. Do not use this test if there is any question of heart damage; hard exercise cannot hurt a healthy heart, but it can cause irregular heart beats in people who have damaged hearts."
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Not so much concerned as answering the question.

(FWIW my recovery rate is pretty damned hot too.... :-) )
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    why is everyone concerned with resting heart rate, when the recovery heart rate is more important?

The only one overly concerned is yourself. We're just answering the question.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The lowest is around 69, but it's usually around 72-74. Before I stared working out and losing weight, it was around 84 so it's improving! :)
  • Anke861
    Anke861 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    40ish when i forget to take my hypothyroid meds! normally around 55-60
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    My resting heart used to be 88-94 bpm six months ago and now it's 60 bpm! It's awesome how it improve so much after I started working out 6-7 times a week! Would still love to improve my resting heart rate so its lower.

What's your resting heart rate?

That's wonderful! My resting heart rate is in the mid to high 90s and shows no signs of decreasing but your post gives me hope. :)
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    Options
    56-ish
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    56 while quietly working at my desk. My resting heart rate has always been in the mid 50's, would be interesting to know if it has dipped any lower since hitting my goal weight. I only walk and do light bike riding regularly and am 55 years old.
  • loztredders
    loztredders Posts: 142
    Options
    Mine is around 54.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options

http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6941.html

"A study in Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise shows that a 20-week program of endurance training does not slow the resting heart rate, so it cannot be used as a measure of fitness (1). The best way to measure fitness is to check how long it takes for your heart to slow down after you've exercised as hard as you can. This is called your recovery heart rate.

Another study in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that recovery heart rate is one of the best tests to predict your risk for having a heart attack (2). Recovery heart rate is a measure of fitness and a slow recovery from exercise means that you are out of shape. The study really shows that being out of shape increases your chances of having a heart attack

To measure your recovery heart rate, exercise in your sport as hard as you can for more than 10 minutes. If you run regularly, run fast. If you ride a bicycle, pedal rapidly. Then check your pulse on a heart rate monitor, or place your hands on the sides of your neck where you feel a pulse. Count your pulse for only six seconds and multiply that number times ten to get your heart rate per minute. Your heart slows down immediately after you stop exercising. The longer you count your pulse, the more it will slow down. Wait exactly sixty seconds and then check your monitor again, or count your pulse for six seconds and again multiply that number times ten.

If your heart does not slow down at least thirty beats per minute in the first minute, you are in poor shape. If it slows down more than fifty beats in the first minute, you are in excellent shape. You can use the recovery pulse rate to measure improvements in fitness. Do not use this test if there is any question of heart damage; hard exercise cannot hurt a healthy heart, but it can cause irregular heart beats in people who have damaged hearts."
    you always get one clever dxxxxk it is proved that regular exercise does improve your resting heart rate and people on this thread have proved it too so bog off onto your own thread
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Measuring your exercising heart rate and resting heart rate can help you track the heart benefits you're achieving from a regular exercise habit. Heart rate can be measured through a heart rate monitor, which can be found at most sporting goods stores, or manually. Rotate your left hand so your palm is facing upward. Take your pointer and middle finger of your right hand and place them on the thumb side of your wrist. Look at a clock and count the number of heart beats you feel for 10 seconds. Multiply that number by six to calculate your beats per minute. Keep track of your heart rate in a fitness journal to chart your progress.
    Lose Weight Exercise Plan My Jeans Size Dcise
    When you exercise regularly, you work the heart muscle. Like any other muscle in your body, the more you work the muscle, the stronger it gets. The stronger the heart muscle becomes through increased activity during exercise, the easier it is for the heart to pump blood through your cardiovascular system. This increase in efficiency allows the heart to not have to work as hard to perform the same amount of work, decreasing your heart rate. Not only does the heart not have to work as hard during exercise, but it also is more efficient at rest, resulting in a slower resting heart rate.
    How to Check Your Pulse

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/510371-does-regular-exercise-decrease-your-resting-heart-rate/#ixzz1yk12AmPi

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/510371-does-regular-exercise-decrease-your-resting-heart-rate/#ixzz1yk0l5Yef
  • DangerMouse7
    DangerMouse7 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was a competing triathlete back in the late '80s my resting heart rate was around 48-50.
    Fast track to last year it was 65-70 before I had an epithany to change my lifestyle and lose weight/get fit.
    Today after 5 months of running 3x/wk and weight training 4x/wk it is 42!! Not too shabby with my recovery HR too!! :-)
  • seamadden
    seamadden Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    57 - 60
    down from around 90 a little over a year ago :-)