So upset & discouraged! :(

Options
I had a Free Fitness Evaluation today with a Personal Trainer at my new gym. Results:

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 160.2lbs (which is fully FIVE more than my home scale)

Measurements:
Chest: 34" Waist: 29" Hips: 40" Each Leg: 25" Each Arm: 12"

Body Fat Percentage: 35%
Total Body Fat: 57.1lbs

After telling me that my body fat percentage puts me at OVERWEIGHT bordering on OBESE...

1) "Running (which I am now at 25mins solid running at 5.7 treadmill speed in C25k) will NEVER get you where you want to go"
2) "You will likely never have the thin legs you want"
3) "You MUST spend an hour in the gym three times a week JUST on weight training if you want to be thin"
4) "You need to see a nutritionist to put together a proper program just for you"
5) "Women just NEED personal trainers. They never lift as much as they should, and if they do, they certainly don't finish all the reps. If you really want to be skinny, you need a trainer."

Now I don't know WHERE I am... :sad:

Replies

• isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

5) "Women just NEED personal trainers. They never lift as much as they should, and if they do, they certainly don't finish all the reps. If you really want to be skinny, you need a trainer."

That right there is such incredible BS and obviously just trying to sell you time with a personal trainer. Personal trainer is a good idea for a lot of people, but that reason above really ticks me off.

Check out the NROL4W groups or the Strength Training for women group.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If that is what the personal trainer told you, he/she needs to be fired!!!!
  • jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    you will get to where you want to be Girl don't let those numbers take away from you what you have already worked so hard to earn and don't let it take you off track from where you want to be. Take in that info and come back at those numbers like a raging beast!!!!!
  • cleavagefurrow
    cleavagefurrow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Running may not make you skinny, but it's good for your heart, muscles, and lungs...
    It sounds like that personal trainer just wanted to make money and didn't care about helping you. Technically you don't need to do any exercise to be thin. Never go back to that personal trainer!!
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend, you are right where the person at the gym wants you to be....they are selling something....they want you to feel like ****. Then they can sell you personal training at probably over $40 a session.
    Relax. Have you been losing? How do you feel? Think long and hard about it. Personally, I would be askin for my money back and finding a new gym.. That is no way to encourage a new person, just a way to make more money.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Looking at your weight and height I'd say you're already thin. Don't listen to that dumb knuckle head! You don't need a personal trainer to be thin and you certainly can attain the thin legs you want. Who is this person so I can punch them for you? BTW, you're so pretty!
  • cbusenhart
    Options
    At 5'7" and 160 lbs, your BMI is 25.1. A BMI greater than 25 is "overweight". If you lost even 1 pound, you would be "normal".

I agree with the post above that the trainer is CLEARLY trying to get clients. I have two things to say about that:
    1. Run, run the other direction as quickly as you can.
    2. Report the absurdity to the gym leadership.

You can be anything and do anything you believe you are capable of! Go for it!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Take what you want from what was said....even if you take next to nothing. You seem to be doing fine. Do what works for YOU and don't let some person who probably gets commissions on every person they get to hire a personal trainer, make you feel bad.
  • clairetwoboys
    clairetwoboys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Obviously he/she has an agenda - trying to get you to buy into the 'I need a trainer' thing. You have lost weight so far and you have clearly increased your fitness. Maybe you need to try another set of scales to find out if yours are correct, but don't feel upset by the comments,use them to re-energise your motivation.

One thing I will say though is that I train by myself in the gym and think I work myself pretty hard. Then last week I had a PT session just to see how I was doing and I was blown away by how much harder she worked me! It wasn't pleasurable, but it did make me think that maybe I was letting myself off the hook a little bit with how far I push myself. This may be your opportunity to reassess how hard you are working and perhaps tweak your routine a little?

Seriously though, don't let this incident be something that knocks you back. How do you feel? Do you look/feel better for the routine you are doing? If so carry on, and maybe reflect on some of the suggestions he/she made that you could use to your advantage.

Lots of luck and chin up - you look fabuous - keep going!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I also am 5'7" and those numbers don't sound quite right. I would love to weight 160 right now. I definitely wouldn't go with that trainer, but I agree with lifting heavy. Don't be too discouraged. Meet with another trainer, or someone that can teach you the best weight training to be doing and keep going, you are doing great.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I had a Free Fitness Evaluation today with a Personal Trainer at my new gym. Results:

Measurements:

What method did they do for the BF% measurement?
    After telling me that my body fat percentage puts me at OVERWEIGHT bordering on OBESE...

1) "Running (which I am now at 25mins solid running at 5.7 treadmill speed in C25k) will NEVER get you where you want to go"
    Lie. Any cardio that you can do efficiently helps with your heart and increases caloric burn and cardio fitness.
    This would be entirely based on your genetics. I haven't seen your legs so I can't say if it's true or not.
    3) "You MUST spend an hour in the gym three times a week JUST on weight training if you want to be thin"
    False. If it were true, people who workout at home would always be fat. Weight training is important, but you could spend 2 days a week doing a full body workout and be fine.
    4) "You need to see a nutritionist to put together a proper program just for you"
    False. While a nutritionist may be able to help with a program, there is enough information that's FREE that you can use.
    Yes and no. I'll agree that many females underestimate about poundages that they could use, but there are many females that don't need my help either.
    Deep breath. You know you're overweight. Keep running. Add in some resistance training to help keep lean muscle. Be consistent on your calories and should do just fine.
    Trainers are for those who may need help or want help. They aren't necessities.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Measurements:

He / She was selling pure and simple, Ignore and walk/run away.

You are doing well just keep going
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    treadmill wont do anything for you but give yo ua good warm up.

I'd suggest 3 half hour sessions on the weights to start.

Get NROLFW - im loving this book so much.

I was 36% body fat last february and now im at about 23% - it's MORE FUN to lose body fat % than to lose pounds TRUST ME BABE!

DO NOT AT ALL BE DISCOURAGED!!!!

Know why?

Now you know you dont have to kill yourself on cardio
    Now you know you dont have to workout 15 hours a week
    Now you know that its far simpler than you expected.
    Now you know you can have gorgeous svelte muscular defined legs that will show all the beautiful lines and ridges that make jaws drop

Youre just changing from cardio based to weight/nutrition based- which is what almost all of the successful people on MFP are involved in.

AND

losing weight helps you look better in clothes
    getting strong makes you damn sexy nekkid!\

Its all about how YOU choose to see this.

DECIDE that THIS is the bright shiny day when everything opens up ahead of you and you can grab it by the balls and own it and show everyone who doesnt think you can change your body and your life... that you already started to and they are simply falling behind.

OWN THIS DAY. DONT RUE THIS DAY!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options

Measurements:

I am sorry... everything you posted in the later part of this post is BS...
    1. I started running a few months back, and while I have a ways to go..my body has NEVER looked better
    2.I have NEVER had thin legs... but, after working hard running and lifting weights... I think they are looking pretty damn sexy for a woman almost 4!
    3. I spend about 45 minutes/ 6 days a week. I split my time running and lifting.
    4. I have NEVER seen a nutionionist...and NEVER will...I have been doing this since March 2012...and have learned to listen to my body.
    5. I am a single mom...and until this week...I have done 100% of my workouts at home...Running around my yard literally in circles and lifting the handful of weights that I had...all while my "personal trainer", my 10 yr old son...laughed at how ridiculous I looked...

In 3 months... I have dropped 24 pounds, gone down 2 sizes in pants...and boosted my confience to a sickening level...so I guess you have to ask yourself...are you going to let someone hold you back...or...are you gonna just do it...and make others stand in awe at what you have accomplished?
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wow. He seriously needs a lesson in professionalism, not to mention a rude awakening. I'm so sorry he was so rude and discouraging to you. That is NOT his job. He's just looking out for *his* best interests, not yours.

My hubby lost weight running, I lost it by walking (and dieting, of course). My friend got seriously toned and lost weight just by doing Zumba.

Don't listen to him as he doesn't know what he's talking about. I can't wait until his wife gets pregnant and he'll tell her his experience when he got pregnant and what it did to his body, and what *she* needs to do.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    EPIC FACEPALM
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    treadmill wont do anything for you but give yo ua good warm up.

I'd suggest 3 half hour sessions on the weights to start.

Get NROLFW - im loving this book so much.

I was 36% body fat last february and now im at about 23% - it's MORE FUN to lose body fat % than to lose pounds TRUST ME BABE!

DO NOT AT ALL BE DISCOURAGED!!!!

Know why?

Now you know you dont have to kill yourself on cardio
    Now you know you dont have to workout 15 hours a week
    Now you know that its far simpler than you expected.
    Now you know you can have gorgeous svelte muscular defined legs that will show all the beautiful lines and ridges that make jaws drop

Youre just changing from cardio based to weight/nutrition based- which is what almost all of the successful people on MFP are involved in.

AND

losing weight helps you look better in clothes
    getting strong makes you damn sexy nekkid!\

Its all about how YOU choose to see this.

DECIDE that THIS is the bright shiny day when everything opens up ahead of you and you can grab it by the balls and own it and show everyone who doesnt think you can change your body and your life... that you already started to and they are simply falling behind.

OWN THIS DAY. DONT RUE THIS DAY!

^^^this!! gotta love yoovie. her posts are always spot on.

this trainer sounds really condescending and rude. tell him to go f* himself.

like others have, keep up the good work.

i'm only 5'3" and 142lbs but we have really similar measurements. my body fat is at 26.2%. depending on how he did the body fat measurements, he could be wrong. anyway. be patient with your body and keep consistent. keep running if you want but add some resistance training, it'll make a huge difference in your body composition (less fat/more muscle = sexyyy!!). i do the stronglifts program and its real simple but totally awesome. i hear lots of great things about NROFW also.

don't be discouraged. you're doing great!!
  • shvrngrl
    shvrngrl Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs walking/running/hiking! The trainer is feeding you a load of BS. You should lose and get fit then go back and tell him/her you found a personal trainer who encouraged you rather than discouraged you! What a jerk!

Don't be discouraged! Your doing great and stay positive!
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Are you serious?! This guy seems like a total and complete @$$!! That's seriously upsets me. How does he know this stuff? Prove him wrong :happy:
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend, you are right where the person at the gym wants you to be....they are selling something....they want you to feel like ****. Then they can sell you personal training at probably over $40 a session.
    Relax. Have you been losing? How do you feel? Think long and hard about it. Personally, I would be askin for my money back and finding a new gym.. That is no way to encourage a new person, just a way to make more money.

Totally agree. The trainer was way out of line there!