• collinj8
    collinj8 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would have to ask my wife. However, I think Meijer and Kroger
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    woodmans, and because of the pricesss

followed by target- because i like archer farms brand and market pantry.

and hyvee because its closeest, but more expensive.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Meijer, Save a lot, Costco

Meijer has a mperks program you can "clip" digital coupons and a lot of the times they have coupons for produce and on their brand of food :) then you just log into your mperks with your phone number at the checkout and they come off your bill!

Save a lot because I actually like some of their brand food better

Costco because we buy strawberries in bulk at our house! haha
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Shop Rite! They have their own (healthier and cheaper) versions of a lot of famous brands!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Superstore :) a Canadian grocery chain.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Vons (safeway), Kroger, or Trader Joe's, mostly. Farmer's Markets when i can get there. If i need gf food i might have to go to a specialty store or Whole Foods- but they are too expensive for everyday shopping!

Oh, and I miss HEB! I am jealous of all you Texans! :smile:
  • cbcw1964
    cbcw1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Aldis and sometime Walmart...Giant Eagle for small orders only and sometimes Shop N Save for their sales.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    In the summmer & fall, most of our food comes from our garden & CSA share. The CSA costs us $300 or so for 22 weeks starting in June. During the high season, we preserve and save food for the winter & early spring.

edit: we also do a lot of pick your own (PYO) farms in season to get the best prices. Every year we pick about 23-25lbs of blueberries for $1.25/lb. Compared to market value, this is almost a steal! And it only takes us a couple hours, then we bring them home and freeze them. I do the math to determine how many we need for a year for whatever the produce we're picking and then we pick that much. It took me a couple years to figure it all out, but now I've got it down. Using the blueberry example, we've still got about 3lbs of blueberries from last year's picking and here it is, about 3 weeks out from picking season.

we also save all the seeds from our produce so we can grow them the following year. We don't have a lot of garden space, but we try to make the most of what space we have. And there are only two of us, so it makes it easier for us, I think, than maybe for larger families. /edit

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't, since we freeze most of it. When I think about how much work I would have to do to raise the money to buy groceries out of season, it seems like a better value to take an hour or two each week to save for leaner times.

When we have to shop, we use the bulk bins at our local health food markets, or Whole Foods if necessary. We sometimes even have to go to Stop n Shop, but that's about as suburban as I can muster.

We used to get eggs from our CSA share, too, but I just can't justify the $5/doz price on them. We still buy local eggs, but try to source them from other folk.

We used to get our milk from a delivery service, too, but they require spending at least $10 to make a delivery and most of the foods they offer are not things we would eat and therefore, I can't find $10 worth of things to buy. I really did like that service when we used it, though, because we return the bottles for the milk. We stopped buying eggs from them because they pack them in styrofoam and that's landfill destined, so if they switch to recycleable plastic containers, I'd probably go with them again. That reminds me to check :)
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I usually shop at Sweetbay (simply because it's 30 seconds from my house), but once or twice a week I go to Publix (their baked goods are the best). Occasionally I'll go to Winn Dixie if there's a good sale, and if I'm desperate or need something after all the other stores are closed, I'll hit Wal-Fart.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Aldi.

Coborn's.

Target.

That is all.
  • bratius
    bratius Posts: 60
    Options
    I prefer Meijer for their amazing produce selection and Walmart usually for other things!
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I shop at Zehr's mainly. Their produce is usually quite nice and their seafood selection isn't so bad either.
    In the spring/summer I shop at Jacob Market which is a local farmer's market about a 15 minute walk from my home thats open on Saturdays.
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    IGA... I live in montreal
  • kellycdowney
    Options
    Giant Eagle now that I am living in Columbus. Meijer when I move back to Cincinnati. I work for Kroger, but I'll go out of my way not to shop there, because, there is no way I want to recycle my money back into that company!
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Farmers Markets (warm months) Woodmans (local huge supermarket) and Pick n Save
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Walmart if I need everything
    Kroger for the sales
    Farmers Market for produce
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Love Trader joes. Good price, good selection.
    Love my Buford Hwy Farmer's market. The store is located in the old Home Depot space so it is pretty huge. Prices on organic produce and meats is about 30% lower then in Whole foods, and BHFM has great selection of the international food. Doesn't get any better! Almost forgot, Costco has my protein shakes and yasso frozen greek yougurt my desserts
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My big shopping trip is split between cash and carry, (like a small scale costco, but way better!) and trader joe's. Produce and dairy from the farmers market.
    If I just need one or two ingredients I go to safeway, since it is closest.

The cash n carry I can buy huge amounts of good quality ingredients for super low prices, so I get all my meats there, as well as non perishables.
    Trader joe's just has a great selection and great prices, and I find their food to be a higher quality than most grocery stores.