Walmart - an observation

Options

Replies

• 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I moved to VA from NY a few years ago, and very quickly stopped shopping at Walmart. At "home" I loved it-- it was clean, well-organized, cheap, and the customer service was never an issue for me. I was known to hit up Walmart multiple times a week. (Never bought produce there... but why would you when you have your pick of Wegmans?)

Here it's an absolutely miserable experience. It's dirty, whole aisles are sometimes trashed, there's always a million people in there-- even in the wee hours of the morning!-- and thus never enough registers. I always left angry. I quite honestly suspect this difference is due, in part, to a difference in certain values between northerners & southerners (note the absence of value judgments in that observation). Poor management is also possible, and it may very well just be much, much more difficult to keep a store looking/operating the way it should when you have a much higher volume of customers simply because the population is larger.

There are a couple of nice-ish ones around here that I'll go to if I'm near there, but too far to be worth a specific trip. I don't hate Walmart for being Walmart, I just hate certain stores. *shrug*
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Wow, active thread. I think it is that the cashiers all seem like they are defeated people. It isn't just that they aren't friendly or helpful. It is that they seem to be so utterly defeated. Something really depressing about confronting people who don't seem to have hope of making things better for themselves. It would be so easy for them to be so much better, even outstanding compared to how they perform, but the don't seem capable. Very depressing.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hate hate hate going, but absolutely no time to shop at several different stores *sigh* such is life!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I hate walmart. I think most of the people in my area hate walmart too. They fought to keep it out of the area. Finally they got into the area and I have never once even seen the parking lot full, like I have in other areas. I go there only when I am desperate, and when I do go, I am usually reminded why I don't usually shop there.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I love Walmart. Here are some reasons why:

It's convenient. You can get almost anything at Walmart.

There's variety. At some stores you'll only find 1-2 varieties of something, at Walmart you can usually find them all (unless its some
    specialty stuff).

It's big. We go to the "neighborhood market" to get groceries, and it's never really that crowded. It's busy, but it's big enough to spread people out pretty thin.

The cashiers are friendly. I'm sorry, but the other "local" grocery store in town, all of the people on the register are bratty teenagers that just want an easy job. I've easily seen 10+ people at Walmart that have been there for over ten or twenty years and know what they're doing.

It's CHEAP! Yeah, you can shop sales other places, but Walmart is just cheap year-round.

I could probably go on and on...

And to people who are going to say "MRRR!!! WAL MART IS A CORPORATION!!! I HATE CAPITALISM!!!".... what do you think Walmart started as? Go to Bentonville, Arkansas and see the original store. It probably looks similar to the "mom and pop" store you want to support now.

original-walmart-store.jpg

This is before the passing of Sam Walton. He had strong values and believed in the sanctity of the American way. There aren't words for what it has become since then.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hate the fact that they load the walkway aisles up with cardboard displays that prevent me and my cart from getting down the aisle if someone else is coming. There are displays everywhere! But not at Target!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I love Walmart. Here are some reasons why:

It's convenient. You can get almost anything at Walmart.

There's variety. At some stores you'll only find 1-2 varieties of something, at Walmart you can usually find them all (unless its some
    specialty stuff).

It's big. We go to the "neighborhood market" to get groceries, and it's never really that crowded. It's busy, but it's big enough to spread people out pretty thin.

The cashiers are friendly. I'm sorry, but the other "local" grocery store in town, all of the people on the register are bratty teenagers that just want an easy job. I've easily seen 10+ people at Walmart that have been there for over ten or twenty years and know what they're doing.

It's CHEAP! Yeah, you can shop sales other places, but Walmart is just cheap year-round.

I could probably go on and on...

And to people who are going to say "MRRR!!! WAL MART IS A CORPORATION!!! I HATE CAPITALISM!!!".... what do you think Walmart started as? Go to Bentonville, Arkansas and see the original store. It probably looks similar to the "mom and pop" store you want to support now.

original-walmart-store.jpg

This is before the passing of Sam Walton. He had strong values and believed in the sanctity of the American way. There aren't words for what it has become since then.

This is true. It was when walmart got new people at the top that it started to suck. Why do you think Sam's club isn't nearly as bad?
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't hate Walmart, but a new Super Walmart opened in the small town closest to my home a week and a half ago, and I haven't set foot in it yet. I'm sure I'll need to stop by for something before too long, but I'll continue to do most of my grocery shopping elsewhere. At other Walmart stores, I've found the fresh meat and produce to be inferior and more expensive when compared to the local competition. Often, Walmart is convenient if I need to pick up a variety of items.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I try so hard to avoid Walmart by shopping at Target but they dont always have what I need.

People like you make me laugh.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only shop there if I have an emergency need at an odd hour when everything else is closed.

I shop at a combination of stores to get what I need, but I plan the trips and it is second nature. I shop at Trader Joe's once a week. I fill in the other needs from our local Kroger or Publix.

I even slowed down on shopping at a local farmer's market because it feels like a Walmart just with better produce.

Walmart's selection seems to push highly processed foods. I can't find many of the things/brands I prefer to eat.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was reading another thread and a lot of people mentioned shopping at Walmart (for groceries) but made remarks about how they hate it. I find this amusing. I have a Super Walmart right down the street from my house. It is very convenient, especially when I need something RIGHT NOW! I shop there A LOT!! I have two kids and I buy everything from diapers to toilet paper there. However, I HATE shopping there. I try so hard to avoid Walmart by shopping at Target but they dont always have what I need. I mean, I actually get a headache when I think about having to go into that store but yet I find myself in there at least 2 - 3 times per week. So what is it, exactly, that we HATE about Walmart? For me, its the crowds, slow cashiers, long lines, but there is something else about it.... I cant put my finger on it... Is it the general demeanor of the employees and other shoppers in the store?? If we hate it so much, why do we keep going back? For me - convenience, prices on every day stuff (diapers, milk, etc). Is it the same for you?

Note **I am bored at work. Can you tell?***

I NEVER shop there. I absolutely hate it. I actually just got a $500 gift card from them for almost being in a commercial for them. We went shopping there and I couldn't handle it. Mainly, I hate the products they have. I use organic cleaning products, eat organic food, and I can't find anything I need in that store. Everything in there is loaded with toxic chemicals, GMO's, etc. It awful.
  • clearancekelly
    clearancekelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I go there when I am feeling fat, when I am there, I feel skinny there and am usually the only one there without a tattoo except for the seniors, even my 6 yr old grand daughters notices these things.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I go there to slum....sometimes.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just love going there for the people. Its great for the self esteem, have a bad day or looking down on yourself, go to walmart, it will make you feel better about yourself. I swear its therapeutic and funny. I think that where Jerry Springer got all of his guest on his show.
  • Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    if you go to walmart at like Midnight- 4 am its pretty good..hardly anyone there. :)
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I hate Walmart too, because the store is entirely too big. I like small stores so I can get in and get out quick. I also hate the crowds on the weekends or during the midday. You also can't find a closer parking space. My bf has a handicap plackard because of his feet pain and I can't even find an open handicapped parking space.

The only thing I like about Walmart is that they have a large variety when it comes to groceries and the prices are decent.

I also call my Walmart the "police department", because they are always watching to see if anyone is going to steal something. And the ladies in customer service act like they own the d*amn store!
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    I got to Walmart when the men aren't bitting at Target.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I hate Walmart too. I have to be in the right frame of mind to walk in there. Ours is crowded, dirty, employees dont seem to care, shoppers dont seem to care (they all come in their PJs and slippers and drive the electric carts). I go once in a while but I really would rather not.
  • sunny_yogi
    sunny_yogi Posts: 19
    Options
    yep, know exactly (!) what you mean! i get a similar physical response when thinking about and actually shopping at our local Safeway... CANNOT stand the store..but can't beat the grocery prices. i live in an expensive coastal town, so Safeway is our best bet on somewhat reasonable grocery prices.