2012 'The Class of Change' (150+lbs with pictures)

Options
coryhartling
coryhartling Posts: 16 Member
Today, I sat back and watched the grad class of 2012 complete their journey from K-12. Watching these young-adults move onto the next phase of their life (under the banner 2012 'The Class of Change') got me thinking about my own life.

Some quick background on my connection with these students (so you can follow my line of reasoning). Over the past six months I have worked intensely with a group of 25+ 'at-risk' grade 12 students. My directive, and my only directive, was to insure that as many of these students as possible graduated (and those that weren't going to be able to had a plan). Many of these students have dealt with more in their 17/18 years than most of us will experience in our entire lives. To see them rise to the challenge that I placed before them, and respond to the support that I provided them, has been truly inspirational. These students truly grasped the concept of change in a way that many of us can only imagine (from directionless and switched-off to purposeful and switched-on). Of the 25+ 'at-risk' students all but three walked across the stage today to receive their Diplomas (given that all of these students were, at the start of the year, considered long-shots to graduate...the change is quite remarkable).

Watching these students undergo their process of change got me thinking about my own (although my transformation pales in comparison to what some of these kids have gone through). 10 years ago, this week, I graduated from High School (I felt the gravity of this number as I watched my students collect their well-earned Diplomas). At that point, I was in the best shape of my life (adolescent flab had vanished, I was active in sports and worked out on a regular basis). Over the next 9 years I slowly put on 150+ pounds until, on the day of my wedding, I hit 355 pounds (unfortunately, not all change is for the better).

Last year, I made a commitment that, by June 2012, I would hit my goal weight of 205lbs. The process started slowly (10 minutes walks was about all I could handle) but, to my shock, compounded into much more than I thought possible. I attribute this compounding to: 1) The setting of micro goals and 2) Taking up hobbies. Since last summer, I have become an avid: Hiker, Runner, Mountain Biker and Squash player. Exercise, and moderation of eating habits (i.e. putting down the fork), have become a way of life for me. From my initial exercise goal of 10 minutes continuous walking I can now: play squash competitively, hike an entire day up mountains, mountain bike for 10+ hours and jog over 12km at a time. I know that by continuing to set micro goals for myself (i.e. upping my run distance) I will insure that my life-style change is permanent.

Today, I felt as if things had come full-circle for my (at least physically). I am, once again, in the best shape of my life (far exceeding where I was at in High School). Mentally, I feel symbolically connected with the 2012 Class of Change that I worked so closely with. These students looked at adversity, accepted it's existence, side-stepped the block it had set up and have moved on. I can only hope that their example will continue to inspire me as I work to maintain my newly found lifestyle.

Wedding Day (At my heaviest…but also my happiest!)
WeddingPic.jpg

At the start of the process (hiking was the first hobby I picked up)
2011-08-18133728-Copy.jpg

November/Movember (sorry for the moustache)
Themo.jpg

December (up at the top)
Untitled4.jpg

March (the start of my Mountain Biking adventures)
Untitled-1.jpg

April (even animals are starting to stand up and take notice)
April.jpg

May (with the family)
Untitled1.jpg

June (not the end, but an end)

2012-06-20202414.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Replies

• coryhartling
    Options
    Once I get this pictures to link properly it will be great...
  • apedinger
    apedinger Posts: 57
    Options
    Great accomplishment!!!
  • coryhartling
    Options
    Trying to link the photos via dropbox...not working...hmm.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I believe you need to change the IMG tags to lowercase.
  • coryhartling
    Options
    Thanks! Images are up...now I have to resize them apparently lol....great at losing weight...bad at pictures.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WOW! That is... amazing! You look like a completely different person, but still so happy. Congratulations, man, that is amazing.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look completely different :)
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! You look so much younger, healthier and happier! Congratulations, you obviously did a LOT of hard work, and it shows in spades!!!
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look like a completely different person.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,957 Member
    Options
    Amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!:drinker:

Thanks for sharing your pictures and inspiring everyone who sees them!:flowerforyou:
  • LatentColors
    Options
    Gratz! The change from beginning to end is amazing!
  • ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wowww!!!! That is fantastic! So happy for you!
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Wow is right!! you look soo much better and healthier!
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss and toning is amazing! I would never have recognised you as the same person.................and your family photo - well - even before I saw the comment saying it was your family - I could see the very strong resemblance. Once again Congratulations on your achievement!!!
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a fantastic transformation well done! Also, congratulations on the work you do with the kids graduating, its really nice to read about! I wish you all the happiness in the world.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    So inspirational!! My knees hurt me and I hate modifying every exercise that I do but I hope to one day run marathons and hike and enjoy life like you do!
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In those latest pictures you look like who you are meant to be, if you get what I mean.

Well done!
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look like a totally different person! Congrats on your loss :smile:
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Amazing, so inspirational:happy: Awesome job and congratulations!
  • boelyn
    boelyn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, I've got 78 of my 150 to lose and lost focus over the past couple weeks so seeing this has really inspired me to get back on track

Awesome x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!