At what size is it okay to start working in a gym?

Options

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Back to the actual post... can someone let me know at what size I should be before I start applying then? How much more I should lose before thinking of finding a job???
    If your goal is to work in a healthclub, forget size or whatever.
    Think peak condition.
    Get your body fat in the "athletic range" for ladies - 14-20%
    That is what I would suggest. Let your athletic body be your own personal billboard.
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    First of all, they discriminated against you. I think they think all fitness instructors must be a size 6-8, but that's not what real woman weigh. At my gym, there is a fitness instructor that has to be a size 16 or so, and she teaches, there is also a Zumba fitness instructor that used to be probably a size 20 or 22, and she teaches. However, she has lost a considerable amount of weight while teaching Zumba.....what better advertisement then that!! I personally would not work for that company and go elsewhere. Most companies want you to "look" the part, especially in the fitness industry, but that's wrong. Hope you find a job that values your education and abilities, and not your weight. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but your post is discriminative as well. "real women aren't a 6-8"??? Excuse me, but I am a 2-4 and I feel pretty real. That's just dumb.

I think, what she meant, was "the average woman size". And that is really not a 2 -4.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    I am not trying to be unkind, but this is how life works.
    Nobody is entitled to employment.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.

you can be fit at a size 12. Some people are not made to be a size 2 or 4.

I AM fit actually. I can run 10kms in less than an hour and squat double my body weight. It's because I'm still cruising through.. I was a size 20 last April, I will "look" the scene soon but I'm not quite there yet,... so be it

I wish I were half as fit as you!

But, not everybody thinks of fitness in terms of strength, endurance, and health. The fact is that most people want to lose weight just so they look good. They'd rather be "skinny fat" than fit but a bit big. The gym has to cater to that market.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is not unexpected and totally reasonable. A health club should only hire fit employees.
    Would you ever hire a fat personal trainer or nutritional consultant? I hope not!
    We must produce fruit in our own lives before reaching out to others. We can't give away what we do not have.
    A business like a health club needs to project an image of success in every way, starting with its employees.
    Buck up, stay on track and get fit yourself. Our bodies are the one thing we have the most control of in this life. If we master that, people like us more. If we make a mess of our health due to poor decisions and undisciplined living, that speaks volumes as well. People will judge us, and they should.
    That's reality.

Yes, you can be "fit", but ultimately if you are overweight from excess fat then you are at an increased health risk.

A size 12 in Australia is not overweight, and is certainly not unhealthy - there is no increased health risk at that size. It's also below the average, which is currently size 14.

The girl in reception at the gym I signed up to yesterday--in Australia--was a size 12 - she was definitely bigger than me, but not by much, and I'm size 10. She will also be the person doing my fitness analysis and training program, and I am perfectly happy and comfortable with this - nothing about her appearance suggests she can't set up a program for me.

Apply at different gyms.
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OMG people on here are so rude!!! I wish i was a size 12 you look fine..that gym is dumb!!! i work out at a YMCA and they have staff members of every size and that doesnt turn me off from the gym or turn me onto it!!! I know i will never be less than a size 12 or a 10!!! I dont think it matters what size you are if you can work out and have the endurance then whats the problem? Dont listen to people who tell you you arent thin enough you have come a long way and you are doing great!! People just need to learn to be nice and if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!!!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    That's reality.

Yes, you can be "fit", but ultimately if you are overweight from excess fat then you are at an increased health risk.

A size 12 in Australia is not overweight, and is certainly not unhealthy - there is no increased health risk at that size. It's also below the average, which is currently size 14.

The girl in reception at the gym I signed up to yesterday--in Australia--was a size 12 - she was definitely bigger than me, but not by much, and I'm size 10. She will also be the person doing my fitness analysis and training program, and I am perfectly happy and comfortable with this - nothing about her appearance suggests she can't set up a program for me.

Apply at different gyms.

Umm.. I said over"weight" not over"size".

If she is a UK 10-12 then I see no reason why the gym wouldnt hire her. I am a UK 10 and think I am pretty small. When I replied to the thread I was under the impression she was a US size 12.

OP, I'm not trying to be rude at all, but IMO if you're working at a place that more than likely promotes a healthy weight and fitness level, I dont see why they should hire someone who doesn't fit that. I have no idea of your height so I can't say if you're overweight at all. I wish they WOULD hire you, but I'm just saying from that a business point of view (which is what a gym is, a business) it makes sense to hire someone that will give the business the image they're looking for. Like someone said, people judge. That's just how life is.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    ETA : I'm in Australia so our size 12 is a UK size 10. I think?

UK size 10 isn't that big. I have a UK size 8 clothes that fits me well at my 26" (66cm) waist while most of my US sized clothes are size 2 & I normally wear a S so its ridiculous for them to say that you're "too big" for that size.

I understand that being a receptionist means you're representing the company since you're the first person that anyone will see when they step in so which is why someone who works on that position should look presentable enough. More so in a fitness industry since you will be representing them & so they need someone who looks fit. However I don't think your size is that big for them to consider you an overweight.

Your situation isn't new however & it has becoming widespread elsewhere not just in the fitness industry. Women are being pressured to become super thin just to fit into the media ideal of beauty. No wonder there are so many women who suffer from ED, can't blame them & I've been there too when I was still a teenager *sigh*
  • littlecesar
    Options
    :smile:
    First of all, they discriminated against you. I think they think all fitness instructors must be a size 6-8, but that's not what real woman weigh. At my gym, there is a fitness instructor that has to be a size 16 or so, and she teaches, there is also a Zumba fitness instructor that used to be probably a size 20 or 22, and she teaches. However, she has lost a considerable amount of weight while teaching Zumba.....what better advertisement then that!! I personally would not work for that company and go elsewhere. Most companies want you to "look" the part, especially in the fitness industry, but that's wrong. Hope you find a job that values your education and abilities, and not your weight. Good luck!

I'm sorry, but your post is discriminative as well. "real women aren't a 6-8"??? Excuse me, but I am a 2-4 and I feel pretty real. That's just dumb.

I think, what she meant, was "the average woman size". And that is really not a 2 -4.

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I meant!:smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I think you should just keep applying now, as some gyms do higher overweight folks.

As far as your size, who knows? It depends on your height, body shape and muscle tone. You might look very fit and slender at a size 10, or you might need to get down to a size 6. I would aim for not having any visible rolls or bulges. What is your goal weight?

ETA: Ooops sorry, I see in your ticker your goal is 79.9 kg.

No that's my minigoal.
    I break it up on my ticker for minigoals because it keeps me more focused so once I reach 79.9kg I would change it to 74.9kg etc
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Any size!! That's a terrible thing!! You are not too big to work in a gym. That just means there's a better job out there for you :smile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    OMG people on here are so rude!!! I wish i was a size 12 you look fine..that gym is dumb!!! i work out at a YMCA and they have staff members of every size and that doesnt turn me off from the gym or turn me onto it!!! I know i will never be less than a size 12 or a 10!!! I dont think it matters what size you are if you can work out and have the endurance then whats the problem? Dont listen to people who tell you you arent thin enough you have come a long way and you are doing great!! People just need to learn to be nice and if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!!!
    Sorry, life in an echo chamber is boring.
    I want honesty.
    Did you miss the part where the OP discovered through the grape vine that she was not rejected for her qualities but appearance?
    That's reality. That's as real as life gets, and it hurts.
    I KNOW THAT PAIN!
    It's not mean to put this out and talk about it. We must live in the world as it is - not as it should be.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Would it help if you put a before and after picture on your desk where you work at?
    You have come a long way. Maybe it is just that gym.
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sorry, life in an echo chamber is boring.
    I want honesty.
    Did you miss the part where the OP discovered through the grape vine that she was not rejected for her qualities but appearance?
    That's reality. That's as real as life gets, and it hurts.
    I KNOW THAT PAIN!
    It's not mean to put this out and talk about it. We must live in the world as it is - not as it should be.

What I find sad here is that you claim to "know how it feels" and yet instead of standing up against discrimination you bow down to it.

OP- just keep trying, it is their loss and I would be hesitant to go to a gym where EVERYONE was fit and no one was working toward goals and that includes employees. I have found myself interested in nutrition while trying to lose weight, I should wait 1-2 years until my weight is gone until I follow that path? Stupid!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Would it help if you put a before and after picture on your desk where you work at?
    You have come a long way. Maybe it is just that gym.

I might just do that...
    And with my resumes as well!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't know the laws in Australia, but that type of discrimination is illegal in the United States. And if it is in Australia and your friend is willing to testify to what she/he told you, then I would sue the gym.

Also, one of the businesses I own is a job search consulting firm. I would not suggest putting your photo on your resume. Ever. Even once you meet your goal weight. You never know who is looking. The person who gets your resume might not like your hair color. Or your makeup. It's arbitrary.

Instead, when you have the interview, find a time to tell them why you think you're an excellent fit for the position and avoid talking about your certifications. Say something along the lines of (tweaked for you of course): "Why am I qualified for this position? I'm glad you asked that question. As you already know I am "insert certification here" certified. But so are most of your other applicants. What makes me special is that I'm exactly like the people you want to attract to "this gym". I have struggled with weight loss and I am winning the battle. And let me tell you, it is an ongoing battle and I'm still working at it every day. I believe that by being able to interact with me on a daily basis, people in that struggle will be more likely to sign up for a regular membership to "this gym". And because I'm "insert certification here" certified, I'll be able to work with them directly on their problem areas and have a unique understanding of what they need in order to be successful."

Let your resume get you in the door. Let your personality and the way in which you answer questions blow their mind.

It'll work. Just know what's great about you that makes you qualified and let them know it.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I AM fit actually. I can run 10kms in less than an hour and squat double my body weight. It's because I'm still cruising through.. I was a size 20 last April, I will "look" the scene soon but I'm not quite there yet,... so be it

Why don't you point out those qualities during the interview? I wouldn't care how someone working at the gym looks, provided he/she can do 10 times better than I in terms of fitnessand energy (and my BMI is"normal")...

Anyway, continue applying and losing weight, and stay fit, you'll find a nice place eventually! :flowerforyou:
  • Rjdj3530
    Rjdj3530 Posts: 154
    Options
    That's crappy! I work part time at the gym I was already a member of. I am a size 14. Only thing my boss required of me was to work on my fitness. (basically work out) He has never told me I needed to be or get to a certain size, only that I work on my fitness. Seems reasonable to me.

But actually I am not surprised that a gym would act this way. You would think they would seize the opportunity for a success story.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Any size.

What a silly question.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think that your size would be "too big" but I suppose everyone has their own ideas on what is "big" and not big. Keep trying. :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Isn't a 12 in Australia like a US size 6?