At what size is it okay to start working in a gym?

Options

Replies

• Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    We have a receptionist at our local gym who is much larger than a size 12 possibly a 16. Not to mention she also doesn't have the qualifications that you have. I can't believe they didn't hire you.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have known a couple of female trainers who were working at gyms and were both much bigger than a size 12. It is prob. something unique to that one gym. Don't let it get you down and keep applying. The world needs more fitness!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    OMG people on here are so rude!!! I wish i was a size 12 you look fine..that gym is dumb!!! i work out at a YMCA and they have staff members of every size and that doesnt turn me off from the gym or turn me onto it!!! I know i will never be less than a size 12 or a 10!!! I dont think it matters what size you are if you can work out and have the endurance then whats the problem? Dont listen to people who tell you you arent thin enough you have come a long way and you are doing great!! People just need to learn to be nice and if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!!!
    Sorry, life in an echo chamber is boring.
    I want honesty.
    Did you miss the part where the OP discovered through the grape vine that she was not rejected for her qualities but appearance?
    That's reality. That's as real as life gets, and it hurts.
    I KNOW THAT PAIN!
    It's not mean to put this out and talk about it. We must live in the world as it is - not as it should be.

What I find sad here is that you claim to "know how it feels" and yet instead of standing up against discrimination you bow down to it.

OP- just keep trying, it is their loss and I would be hesitant to go to a gym where EVERYONE was fit and no one was working toward goals and that includes employees. I have found myself interested in nutrition while trying to lose weight, I should wait 1-2 years until my weight is gone until I follow that path? Stupid!
    You are so right.
    I am not strong willed enough to kick against the goads when it comes to what is right or wrong except where I can actually either control the situation or affect change.
    I was manager of 3 health clubs several years ago, so I know the situation from their point of view.
    One facility was very flexible while the other was not.
    In fact one facility was only interested in bodybuilders or model-types.
    Don't laugh. I am warning you!
    OK, here goes....
    Before getting the job...I went out and....[I can't believe I am saying this]
    ...and had myself fitted for a toupee' just to make the cut. I was fit and acceptable in every way, except for male pattern baldness:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    They hired me, but my wife thought I looked like a total *kitten*.
    I felt like a fool and was always worried about my hair falling off. It was HELL!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Don't let that hold you back go apply To other gyms I think that lady as just being rude.
    You're obviously working on being healthy and she was too ignorant to understand that when you mention going to school to be a pt.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    People are ridiculous. You wouldn't work in a place like that anyways...

I worked at a gym when I was a size 11/12.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    My duty manager when I worked at a leisure centre was a size 16. Ok, she could bench press more than most of the men put together but she was pretty rounded
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    OMG people on here are so rude!!! I wish i was a size 12 you look fine..that gym is dumb!!! i work out at a YMCA and they have staff members of every size and that doesnt turn me off from the gym or turn me onto it!!! I know i will never be less than a size 12 or a 10!!! I dont think it matters what size you are if you can work out and have the endurance then whats the problem? Dont listen to people who tell you you arent thin enough you have come a long way and you are doing great!! People just need to learn to be nice and if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all!!!
    Sorry, life in an echo chamber is boring.
    I want honesty.
    Did you miss the part where the OP discovered through the grape vine that she was not rejected for her qualities but appearance?
    That's reality. That's as real as life gets, and it hurts.
    I KNOW THAT PAIN!
    It's not mean to put this out and talk about it. We must live in the world as it is - not as it should be.

I love this. Thank you!

And for everyone yelling "Sue" and "Discrimination!", really? Come on, let's be grown ups for a minute.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As a bigger girl myself, it's actually a relief to see people who are more average in size working in a gym. I even had a trainer once who was probably a size 10 or 12 and she was crazy-fit - I loved working with her! I've had so many experiences with gyms where everyone has practically no body fat and it isn't inspiring to me - it's intimidating and it just reminds me of my own size. I know that is a mindset issue for me since some people would find it inspiring, but the fact is that it's an uncomfortable situation for me. I imagine it is for a lot of other people, too. I would keep applying to gyms - surely there is one that is more open-minded and caters more to people just beginning their weight-loss and fitness journey.

And as far as this idea that people "should" judge us... boo. People do judge, they will judge, but they shouldn't. We should all strive to know people and their stories before passing judgement on them.
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Let's all not pretend that this doesn't go on. I mean, are people really shocked by this??? Weight discrimination is so easy to do and happens all the time.
  • elycestefani
    Options
    A size 8 US - which is not large at all!
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    Same thing happened to me a few years ago, I was 30lbs+ heavier and I was turned down for a receptionist position at the gym. Its sad really...
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You are so right.
    I am not strong willed enough to kick against the goads when it comes to what is right or wrong except where I can actually either control the situation or affect change.
    I was manager of 3 health clubs several years ago, so I know the situation from their point of view.
    OK, here goes....
    ...and had myself fitted for a toupee' just to make the cut. I was fit and acceptable in every way, except for male pattern baldness:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I felt like a fool and was always worried about my hair falling off. It was HELL!

I don't think you need to fight against the health club industry or even a specific health club but be supportive of the OP, you say that although one club was discriminatory the other was not, so in essence not all clubs will discriminate and she should try other clubs and not wait until she is a smaller size. This point of view would do more to support her and to not play to the incorrect behavior.

In other news: I believe a photo of you in the toupee on your profile page is in order :tongue:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Back to the actual post... can someone let me know at what size I should be before I start applying then? How much more I should lose before thinking of finding a job???

Why don't you ask them? Or ask several potential gyms what they look for in an employee. Lots of jobs have physical requirements and its not discrimination, it's part of the job. Would hooters hire a fat chick? Probably not, it's just part of the territory. I think a fitness center would be one of those types of places (w/o the fake boobs lol) that wants to have people who "look the part" of fitness. They would probably tell you what they're looking for whether it be a range of body fat or BMI or whatever. Don't let it get you down, you sound very driven and motivated but maybe this gym just wasn't a good fit for you - everything happens for a reason. You'll find the right place. :-) Good Luck!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    ETA : I'm in Australia so our size 12 is a UK size 10. I think?

You are much smaller than me, and people always guess my size/weight much less than it actually is. The secret is to learn to dress your figure to it greatest advantage---really!! You have no idea how much a more flattering outfit can influence others' perception of you. This sounds very superficial, I know, but first impressions are very important...if you can get your foot in the door, then you will have a chance to prove what a FANTASTIC person you are. How do I know you are fantastic? Well you're on this site, aren't you?:bigsmile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    At my gym in the US, there are no overweight people working...be it front desk, trainers or mangers.. every last one of them is fit and attractive.. as it should be.

Gyms are concerned about making money.. as any business is. You won't get people to come into your gym if you hire overweight people.. because then people are going to think well if they work in a gym and look like this, then what am I going to look like?

LIke or not, everything these days is about looks and presentation.. so get yourself in order and then try again.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You are so right.
    OK, here goes....

I don't think you need to fight against the health club industry or even a specific health club but be supportive of the OP, you say that although one club was discriminatory the other was not, so in essence not all clubs will discriminate and she should try other clubs and not wait until she is a smaller size. This point of view would do more to support her and to not play to the incorrect behavior.

In other news: I believe a photo of you in the toupee on your profile page is in order :tongue:
    It looked like an Elvis wig.
    One day driving down the road, I had an itch on my head, but if I scratched it, that would mess up my hair.
    That's when it hit me.
    I rolled down the window, peeled off the wig and flipped it out the window. I went home, shaved my head and there you go.
    End of my hair modeling career.
    And since I had a toupee'? I can spot one across the mall fast.
    Poor saps....
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I applied in a gym in March for a receptionist position, whilst studying my Fitness course. I got an email back, a month after the interview saying I was not successful. I talked to a friend of mine who also works there and she was told by her manager they would have hired me, I seemed like a smart, intelligent, young girl but they didn't like that I was "too big" and would "not be a good advertisement for the gym."

Yeah, I understand that you need to be visibly fit but at a size 12 it's not like I'm humongous either.

What size is it okay to start working in a gym?

I ask because I have just gained my cert 3 in Fitness but I am scared if I go apply to work on a gym floor somewhere they are all gonna turn me down cos of my size.

UK size 10 is small - that's my goal!! Ultimate goal! I think I would apply and go for it - but not at the place your friends works - where that chauvinist pig works. What an *kitten*! Seriously I bet he wasn't great to look at. OMG I can't believe how annoyed I feel ready that. I'm so sorry for you - please don't let it knock your confidence. size 10 is fantastic. Good luck and well done on passing your fitness exam. x
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I was a 14 when I started working at my gym 7 years ago. I was afraid that I would not be hired because of that. However, I was willing to get there at 4am, so that worked in my favor!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I agree with posters who suggest applying at other gyms. Your success story is your selling point!

There are many trainers here in the US that are all about the money, not the client. I've seen it so many times and its given CPTs a bad rep. Some trainers are hyped up on supplements and have no clue on nutrition. Others give the same workout over and over to clients without tending to the clients goals.

Then you have CPTs that are well educated in all areas of fitness, have many certifications and or degrees. Who listens and caters to what their clients wants/needs. Has success stories, etc. Goes above and beyond. THATS the kind of trainer *I* want.

So, you go on with your bad self and get the job YOU deserve!! :bigsmile:
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    At my gym in the US, there are no overweight people working...be it front desk, trainers or mangers.. every last one of them is fit and attractive.. as it should be.

Gyms are concerned about making money.. as any business is. You won't get people to come into your gym if you hire overweight people.. because then people are going to think well if they work in a gym and look like this, then what am I going to look like?

LIke or not, everything these days is about looks and presentation.. so get yourself in order and then try again.
    Even at size 14, I was fit and attractive. We have some ugly skinny people in that gym, too.