what was your "rock bottom"? what made you change?

Options

Replies

• clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Buying a gorgeous (and expensive!) dress for my birthday in a size 14 UK (which in itself was a bit of a hard pill to swallow!) and then not being able to zip it up.

I let myself crawl from an 8 to 10 (no big deal), then a 10 to 12 (okay, not too happy about this), then a 12 to 14 (I really need to sort myself out!!) but to then go up to a 16?! That was the turning point for me!

I'm now down to a size 12! :smile:
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I got my body fat % measured. At 5'3" and 128 pounds I had 36% body fat. I cried for hours, then hired a personal trainer.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband got with 6 pounds of me! lol

I looked in the mirror and saw that I was developing that second chin.. "what the heck is that? and why am I letting myself get to this point?" Those are a couple things I thought to myself.
    Also, I was within 10 to 15 pounds of my fiance and he is very fit. I should be At Least 30 to 40 pounds less than him.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mine was about 3 years ago when I fell and broke my leg. I could not get from the sofa to the restroom on crutches without being exhausted and out of breath. After that I lost 71 pounds. Over the last 2 years I got lazy and 30 pounds crept back on. Now I am working on losing some of that 30 pounds but not by dieting - this time I am changing my lifestyle.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Wasn't any one thing, but several incidents that occured over the course of a few years:

1. I LOVE amusement rides. Went to Six Flags over Georgia about six or seven years ago, and the attendant had to jump on the harness on one of the roller coasters to get it to latch. Then it was so tight I couldn't take a full breath, so I almost passed out during the ride.

2. Just walking up the stairs in my house gave me chest pain.

3. I was terribly depressed (just shy of being suicidal) because I was in too much pain and didn't have the energy to do anything but go to work, come home, and sit on the couch or lay in the bed.

4. I saw myself in pictures, and it felt like I was looking at a stranger.

5. I realized that, more often than not, I was the fattest person in the room at any given time (and that's sayin' something in my family).

6. There were so many things I wanted to do (like join a volleyball league), but couldn't because of my weight.

7. I stepped on the scale in November of 2010, and I discovered that I was just 3 lbs shy of the 300lbs mark (I'm 5'4"). I couldn't live with that. I knew that if I got over 300lbs, that would be the death of me....LITERALLY.
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    Options
    looking at my last vacation pics.... :C horrible
  • PinkyFran
    PinkyFran Posts: 54
    Options
    i took my daughter to chessington last week, and we bought a photo from us all being on the dragon falls ride, i looked like a huge pink whale( was wearing a pink fleece lol) and i thought i just cant bare it anymore!.....

I seem to have a backwards body dysmorphia, and wonder if anyone else has this too? i know i am fat, i feel i am fat, but i cant see i am fat!.....i see in the mirror obviously but for some reason the big picture does not compute!!!!

i have just googled backwards body dysmotphia and it appears i am far from alone its termed rbds( reverse body dysmorphia syndrome) i feel a little better but am not convinced lol!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    CHUB RUB!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    i took my daughter to chessington last week, and we bought a photo from us all being on the dragon falls ride, i looked like a huge pink whale( was wearing a pink fleece lol) and i thought i just cant bare it anymore!.....

I seem to have a backwards body dysmorphia, and wonder if anyone else has this too? i know i am fat, i feel i am fat, but i cant see i am fat!.....i see in the mirror obviously but for some reason the big picture does not compute!!!!

I am similar. I know I'm overweight, and some days I feel it. However, most of the time, I don't FEEL like I look. I feel more like I weigh right at the 200lbs mark, but I actually weigh 250lbs. When I look down at my body, my arms, and my legs, I think, "Hmmm...I don't think I look that bad." Then I look in the mirror or in a photo and reality comes crashing in and I just want to cry.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've never really hit a rock bottom. But what caused me to change this time was realizing after all of my hard work losing weight last time, I'd managed to gain 7 pounds in 8 weeks from stress eating at work. I realized that this was an emotional problem, and if it continued, I'd be overweight and diabetic before I knew it. I had to change the way I was eating first, and now have to find a good outlet for stress.
  • Lainnee
    Lainnee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Last August, two days before my 54th birthday my doctor said. " Sharon, you are now pre-dieabetic." I thought, "Oh heck, NO!" The changes came quickly. I cut out all soda after drinking 5 diet Cokes a day, all chips and joining MPF. I also started exercising and joined a gym. I am now down 66 pounds and have gone from a tight 24 W to a 16 that fits well. I still have 68 pounds to go to meet my goal but I am getting there. I have been lazy with exercise lately but the nutrtion part is now pretty much second nature.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of me at my daughter's 2nd birthday party in a bathing suit. I knew I still had "baby" weight, but didn't realize it was that bad. Then realizing that my size 16 clothes were too tight and I refused to buy bigger ones.....
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My path to the bottom was watching my mom die of obesity related illnesses at 68.
    Then I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was high and my blood work was all jacked up. Speaking of which they had to use the "large cuff" to get my blood pressure. That bothered me. At 194 and 5'4" I was in serious denial that I was "that big".
    I thought it was grief or depression sucking my energy but it drug on and on and finally in March of this year I took a sick day because I was just too fatigued to get up and go to work. My diet was fast food whatever and no exercise at all. That day I remember sitting in the recliner thinking I am wasting my life just like my mom did. I've got 2 teenagers and how can I help them change if I don't pull myself up first? So I got a wild hair, found the courage to go to the gym and started Jazzercise classes. They were much easier in my 20s compared now at 48 but still just as much fun. SAVED my life I'm telling ya :-).

Now my daughter is looking into martial arts and my son's curious about it.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The last year of my marriage, my husband got more and more distant and would barely touch me. I was feeling very unattractive and depressed, so of course I ate. After we split, my truck broke down and I lost our house. So no husband, could only afford a 20 year old car, and had to live with my sister. I wallowed in self-pity a few months. But then I started thinking that I wanted better for myself. I wanted to get out there and do things. I wanted to stop hiding. I did a lot of thinking and realized that part of the reason I allowed myself to get so big was to protect myself from life. Being fat made it easy and acceptable to do nothing. Nobody would notice me, and nobody would hurt me.

Now I know that I can't hide anymore. I WANT to put myself out there. I'm strong enough to get hurt and it still be ok (or at least I will be. I'm getting there). I have a long journey ahead of me. I let myself get up to nearly 400 pounds. But I am on my way back down. I already feel better physically and emotionally. I WILL do this!
  • nemd
    nemd Posts: 5
    Options
    Rock bottom??? Hitting 202 in a pre-op visit a year ago, but didn't really think I'd have problems losing, as I'd yo-yoed before. Then at 197 after "trying to lose weight" on my own. As a young 52-year old, I had no idea it would be so challenging to lose this. Slowly adding size 16 pants to my wardrobe slipped up on me. I felt and looked horrible. I'm a grandmother, but don't want to look like Aunt Bea. Journaling/tracking food is helping! And, the encouragement here is inspiring. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I've lost about 22 pounds so far, and am slowly changing my life and how important food has been. Getting outdoors and living healthy is more important than ever!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd really consider it a "rock bottom" but when none of my size 10's fit anymore and some of the 12's were getting tight, I knew I had to get back up off my lazy *kitten* and begin exercising regularly again.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I never really hit a rock bottom because what made me want to change wasn't any sort of self esteem issue. I finally purchased a motorcycle a few years back, which was something I had always wanted to do, only to discover that my weight made it especially difficult and unsafe to learn as it made the bike too top heavy. So I decided to lost weight. And I did. Funny thing is there was no challenge about it and no real motivation needed. It was a simple matter of "I'm going to do this" and I did.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    When I would sweat doing nothing, and when my wife told me my size 42 pants were looking a little too tight. She always wondered what drove me to lose the weight. I told her and she says she never saw me fat. But when she looks at past pics, she wonders why she never saw it. Ah! Thank God love is blind.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    When the guy I'd been seeing denied our relationship because my body type was not date-able