I give up!

Options
I have been trying really hard. I have been exercising. I have been staying really close to my alloted calories every day and eating healthy or at least a lot healthier than I was. I got on scales today, and I have GAINED weight!!!!

Replies

• taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I think you need to be eating more. Almost half the days you aren't even eating 1200 calories.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Weight can and will fluctuate a lot, based on many factors. If you're weighing yourself everyday consider weighing yourself once a week, and watch your sodium intake.

You don't say what sort of exercise you're doing. Is it possible that you've gained some muscle? Are you clothes fitting any better?

Also, in my opinion, being accurate in your food diary means a lot. Record everything and do it as accurately as you can manage. It's extremely easy to over estimate how much a portion size is. Weigh and measure everything if you need to.

Good luck.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    So you're going to throw in the towel and GIVE UP the first time you step on the scales and it tells you something you don't want to hear? pfft. If that were the case, I would have given up 40x already, and I sure wouldn't be 19lbs lighter--12 of which I have lost in the last 6 weeks ( and I have had TWO weight spikes in that time)...

How long have you been diligently watching your diet and exercising? How many times have you stepped on the scale and it told you nice things? If it is hot, you have eaten too much sodium, it is too close to TOM, you have worked out too hard recently....you could be retaining some water. Just last weekend I gained 1.2lbs due to heavy exercise, bad eating and hot weather....but by Wednesday I lost all of that AND .4lbs more.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    throw your scale away!

measure yourself and take pictures.
    in 30 days, take more pictures, and compare measurements.

don't give up. just work harder.
  • Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
    Remember you must have eaten an extra 3500 calories to gain one pound. Since you didn't do that, it's impossible that you gained weight! Your scale is a liar and it's just water weight, etc.
    Keep on going but make sure your eating at least your BMR.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I'd say, keep trying, but if your mind is made up.....
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    I had a look at what you're eating, and it seems like you're not eating enough, and you're eating a lot of the wrong stuff. Lots of sodas and restaurants. You're not going to lose weight that way.
  • afgivens4
    afgivens4 Posts: 117
    Options
    I do measure everything I eat and keep accurate readings. I do cardio and strength training and have been doing this for a month now. I only get on scales every ten days or so.... Every time, I am heavier.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at your diary too, and it looks like you need a complete overhall. Eating around 650 (which you had on 2 days this past week), will not help you.
    By the looks of things you work night shift? Sit down and plan meals for yourself. Add in vegetables and fruit, not 'empty' calories like coffees & cheescake.
    In order to see a difference on the scale you need to be honest with yourself and eat a more balanced diet
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
    Remember you must have eaten an extra 3500 calories to gain one pound. Since you didn't do that, it's impossible that you gained weight! Your scale is a liar and it's just water weight, etc.

This.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I think you need to be eating more. Almost half the days you aren't even eating 1200 calories.
    ^This. It sounds crazy but eating more is sometimes needed. I just went through this myself.
  • AllieBug25
    AllieBug25 Posts: 61
    Options
    Don't give up!

AMEN!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Um, how long did you try before deciding to give up? You arent going to lose a million pounds in a week.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    You joined May 2012? It's now June. Stick with it - it takes TIME! It will happen if you stay the course! :smile:
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough and too much processed food.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    I have been trying really hard. I have been exercising. I have been staying really close to my alloted calories every day and eating healthy or at least a lot healthier than I was. I got on scales today, and I have GAINED weight!!!!

Stay away from the soft drinks, Starbucks, mac & cheese, french fries and all those empty carbs that leave you hungry again in 2 hours. In your case it's just a matter of making the wrong food choices. Revamp your program, get your chin off the floor and move it girl! You can't quit because you're now an MFPer.

Tom

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You have once again proven that starvation crash diets don't work.
    You need to give that up.
    Give up the foolish notion that you can famish your way to success.
    Maybe others who are not giving up can learn from your mistakes.
    And if you want to try one final time, go with the MFP recommendations. What have you to lose except your unwanted pounds?
    Seriously, you can do this!
    Give it one more go - the right way! Read up on what is advised from those who created this site. Use the MFP recommendations for safe, steady weight loss, and forget all the absurdity you think you know.
    Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • BeautifulBetsy
    BeautifulBetsy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE weights more then fat!
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    while loss is technically calories in vs caloies out... there is a line not to go under or your body shifts into survival mode and works to change your metabolic system to store more fat because it thiks you are starving. That line is called your BMR.

how did you calculate your daily calorie food goal of 1200? thats too low.

also - even though its calorie in vs out - the foods you are eating are keeping you supressed energywise, moralwise, and overall metabolismwise.

cut the prepack and fast foods... and SUGARS!

you want to get serious - watch Knives over Forks... www.knivesoverforks.com
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Don't give up even if you gain a little weight. Just the fact that your exercising is changing your body for the better and making you a healthier person.