I give up!

Options

Replies

• bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been trying really hard. I have been exercising. I have been staying really close to my alloted calories every day and eating healthy or at least a lot healthier than I was. I got on scales today, and I have GAINED weight!!!!

Stay away from the soft drinks, Starbucks, mac & cheese, french fries and all those empty carbs that leave you hungry again in 2 hours. In your case it's just a matter of making the wrong food choices. Revamp your program, get your chin off the floor and move it girl! You can't quit because you're now an MFPer.

Tom

:smile: :flowerforyou:

This is great advice!
  • sarahmayville1992
    Options
    Eat some more, it sounds crazy but I agree with everyone else! You have to put fresh fruit into the mix and more whole grains. It will take some time but you will get there! It doesn't help the scale doesn't tell you how much muscle you've put on or how much water your body is holding! You will make it, just keep trying! :heart:
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One: the scale isn't the be all and end all. It's about how you feel first and foremost and inches lost. Weight can fluctuate based on time of day, if you've eaten, if you've gone to the washroom.

Two: Make sure you're eating enough (yes I said eat more if necessary.) Go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and figure out what your BMR is. Eat at least that! Eating any less than that and you're giving your body less than it needs to survive and that's not healthy in general and will make it hard to lose weight. You want to do this right and make it last. It's a lifestyle change and that needs to be something you can see yourself doing forever or the weight will creep back up on you. It's not a sprint it's a marathon.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a question to everyone saying "eat more": What if you're not that hungry?

I thought you were supposed to respond to your body when it came to that stuff. I eat less than 1200 calories a day, and I don't feel hungry. I eat when I'm not hungry, because otherwise I don't think I'd eat. I just always assumed that it's because I'm short =/ (If I ate 2000 calories a day, I'd actually be considered overweight.)
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I would say that if you are unsure of what you are doing wrong, take a look at the food diaries of people who have lost lots of weights and maybe see what types of exercises they are doing, this may help you understand a little more and also push you to try these things to lose weight as well. Scales are evil and cannot always be trusted. Do not give up, it is easy to give up, but nothing good comes from it.
  • jseger3
    jseger3 Posts: 9
    Options
    I recommend reading Brendan Brazier's book "Thrive". The way that you are eating right now is putting stress on your body and putting it into "fight or flight mode" which means that it will just burn carbs and not fat. You need way more nutrient rich food AND to go easier on your self. On top of not losing weight, the way that you are eating is likely to leave you tired and, guess what, depressed and discouraged.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I think she quit - oh well....
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Don't give up .. :sad: Just take and work harder. You have alot of suport and motivation on MFP and you will have ups and downs of weight.. I go threw weeks and don't loose a pound. I believe in drinking water:drinker: ,exercise,and journaling everything I eat had help me and all the support I can get from friends and buddies on this site..
    :flowerforyou:
    Give the site alittl more time and yourself a chance to work with everyone that wants you to do it.. Remember YOU CAN DO IT..
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    DOnt give up. You have people who believe in you. We all do and know you can do it.
  • Lyn293
    Lyn293 Posts: 5
    Options
    I just started a week ago I have been eating my 1200 calories most days. I am eating higher protein that recommended because my nutritionist and two doctors have told me I don't get enough protein. My doctor says I have 120 lbs of muscle so I need 120 grams of protein per day. I never hit that, but I try. I usually get 80 to 90 grams per day and it works. I suggest you revamp your diet. Eat fruits, vegetables and lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, tuna) and give that a couple of weeks before throwing in the towel. Those carbs are going to do you in. They leave you hungry shortly after you eat them. Substitute them for protein and you will feel better and start losing weight. You eat some whole grains as well, but I try to limit them because of the carbs.

Everytime I diet, I bulk up first so this time, I am using light weights for strength training (5 lbs) and doing my aerobics (fast paced walking). I am not bulking up this time and yes, bulking up does make you gain weight. It is so discouraging.

Chin up and start planning your meals.
  • 12Goodeats
    Options
    You may be doing too much exercise right off the starting gate. You might want to try one of two ideas: Increase slightly your carb intake or decrease your exercise by just a little bit and see if one of those takes you back down. Don't give up. Don't weigh every day either. Just once a week. You might be holding water weight. It is summer.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Last 4 days less than 700 calories. Mhm. Seems like the right way to do things.
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well don't give up, but when your not eating enough calories it isn't good either, and you are eating way under your calories most days. Eat more hun!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Tweak your diet, keep working out, and don't give up!!!!! You really can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are only two days where you were over goal (though very near it). The rest of the 29 days you were grossly under your goal, many times by hundreds upon hundreds of calories.

Please be aware that starving yourself (eating small amounts of food each day) is not going to win you a healthier body. It will deprive your cells of nutrition and put a strain on not only your mental state but very much your physical health, too.

Try to eat the calories suggested by MFP when you set up your profile. Have you tried that yet?
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You either can go on or give up. Picking up after a fall separates you from those who just give up. If you don't want it bad enough then you really truly don't want it. You didn't pack it on in 1 wk it took time to pack on the pds. Those who succeed can fall many times but what they do is NEVER give up, ever.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I agree with taz! I noticed when I was eating right under my calorie allotment for each day that my weight was coming off
    S-L-O-W-L-Y but when I started eating 200-300 OVER each day then the weight start really moving. I could be that you are in starvation mode and your body is just refusing to give up any weight.

I personally am working on getting over my all or non mentality when it comes to weight loss. I'm learning that that is some of the reason I failed before. I thought if I wasn't PERFECT everyday that I had jinxed the whole damn thing and I would just quit. This isn't a race to the end. This is a lovely relaxing stroll through life. Yesterday I went out with my girlfriends to a movie and dinner. I did some planning ahead of time so I knew what was basically within my range BUT I did split an apple crisp three ways and I ate a slice of lemon poppy seed bread. When I got home my husband was eating Chinese and I had three good sized bits. Why do I go into this? Because we need to enjoy ourselves! We need to indulge in moderation. EVEN my doctor said that!!! :drinker:

It's hard and its frustrating and sometimes it does make you want to quit BUT you are worth the fight. You are worth your good health!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think you should give up the way you are approaching weight loss.

you are choosing a method that's completely unsustainable (severe calorie restriction), so no wonder it's so hard. you should be eating more.

now that you've tried the crash diet way and have seen where that's got you, now go back to the drawing board. chose a calories goal that OVER your BMR and under your TDEE and see how that works.

you should be working with your body and not against it. when you do work with it weight loss is much easier because it's less intrusive on your daily life
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If your head is not in the game and you are looking for a quick fix, then yeah you should quit. Those don't work.