Effexor/Venlafaxine

Options
1235»

Replies

• MegsFrancis
    MegsFrancis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on Effexor XR for about a month, and I love it. I wouldn't say I was depressed too much but I had horrible panic attacks and anxiety, which come to find out, is an issue in conjunction with Depression. I believe Bipolar 2 is my diagnosis, along with ADHD.

Usually getting ready in the morning is like a tornado - I would try to do 8 things all at once and then break down when I couldn't. I'd
    come home and then I'd spit out 100 ideas to my husband, be irritable with my son. I was like a little tornado. Combine that with being the life of the party. :)

I am 36 and about 100-105 naturally, so I started on 37.5 and increased to 75 mg Effexor XR. I have completely lost my appetite. I was always a healthy eater, so I just make sure to pack myself healthy options every day for work - almonds, fruit, veggies, some chicken for lunch. But by dinner time, where I used to be able to eat the same as my husband, that has definitely DECREASED. Now half a chicken breast, a veggie and some quinoa is really a lot for me.

I am also much more level-headed. No more little tornado, no more little outbursts or getting irritable. My husband said I am like a rational, smart stoner but without the appetite. I still can work and I don't feel like a zombie. So far, I have to say I love being on it.

Also - its made me a little sleepy around 6 pm (I take it at 11:35 every day. Seriously, but a reminder on your calendar!) but I have been really motivated to work out. Not sure what that is about but I'll take it.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for quite a while. I think all of my extra weight was just due to over eating for most of my life. I have not had any trouble losing, and I also take a beta blocker.
  • oiler1995
    Options
    I am currently diagnosed with bi-polar,well the doctors say that,i have OCD also and probably other disorders.I am currently on 37.5 mgs of effexor aday along with 10 mgs of Zyprexa.I am also taking 2 mgs of xanax aday,because my anxiety is so bad.I am driving my father nuts with excesssive talking and very hyper.I lift weights but still very hyper,but the one good thing i am not depressed.I feel i am back to the manic phase of bipolar,the xanax does not calm me down.I went from severe low depression to the manic phase of bi polar.Does my medication need to be adjusted to be level? i see my doctor for the first time next week since i started the meds when i wanted to committ suicide and went to the hospital.Thank please help.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    Effexor can take a while to kick in, especially at a low dose like one starts with, so don't do anything drastic (and certainly don't skip it or increase it) until you talk to your doctor. But do let your doctor know how you feel -- it's important to find a drug that works for you. If you can, write down your symptoms so you can show the doctor at your next appointment.
  • oiler1995
    Options
    Wow!!! thank you for a quick reply,yes,i plan on writing down my side effects,yes i dont want to do anything drastic like taking to much xanax,it is addictive.IHopefully my effexor needs to be raised,i dont know about the zyprexa.Effexor is and anti depressant and zyprexa is a anti psycotic,it scares me being on this combination.All phyc doctors,even the best dont know what to give you its like they throw a dart at a dart board,thank you for the quick reponse,i will check in next week when i see my doctor,Billy.
  • Bagelsan
    Bagelsan Posts: 49
    Options
    Take care, let me know how it goes!
  • tallyO84
    tallyO84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on effexor for 2 years, I gained 20 kilos and I even worked out at the gym. I went off it because I did everything I could to lose weight and realized it was the effexor that was stopping me from doing so. Also I think genes play a huge part in this too. If you are prone to getting fat, then I wouldn't suggest it.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Initially, I lost my appetite. That lasted about 2 weeks. My depression lifted, and I feel great. This motivated me to go back to my yoga mat and to eat properly. The only way a medication will make you gain weight, aside from water weight gain, is if you eat the wrong foods. You are already carefully tracking this. I take my medication before bed because I suspected it was making me sleepy. I don't see a real difference. Venlafaxine is related to amphetamines. So it is a stimulant. Note that I take this in combination with bupropion (Welbutrin) . Neither med alone worked for me. In combination, I call it Wel-effect. Just stick with your eating and exercise plans. You will be fine. Depression sucks. Don't give up on finding the right combo to make you feel better again.

Not all the time....,I gained 26lbs in 8 weeks on effoxor and I worked out 5 days a week and was on weight watchers. Been 2 years and Ive lost 6lbs
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight on Effexor. I never had a weight problem until I took it.
    Effexor also caused a lot of other problems for me as well. I wish I had never taken it, or at least stopped it when I started gaining weight and experiencing other problems (severe insomnia, horrible impulse control). Instead, my doctor said my depression must be coming back and increased my dose!

Plus after that experience I am now extremely sensitive to any drug that has any kind of psychoactive effect, including some antibiotics and vitamins. It's really bad.

But Effexor works well for some people. Just be careful and watch for issues.
    If/when you decide to stop taking it, wean yourself off of it VERY SLOWLY. Take like two months to come off. I thought I was weaning slowly (I think about 3-4 weeks) and I still felt horrible once I was down to zero. I felt like I had the flu for approximately a week.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has stalled/slowed since starting effexor. I didn't know this was even one of the possible side effects. I don't notice myself feeling more hungry but I do notice that it's hard to feel very full (even on filler low cal stuff like a ton of leafy greens).