Anyone here a teacher?

Options
bpetlock
bpetlock Posts: 109
I am going to school to be a preschool teacher. (One of the reasons I want to lose weight so I can be a good influence not only for my kids but other people's kids) Anyone else teach or going to school to teach?

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I teach and coach girls varsity basketball. It's extremely important for me to be in shape. I know that I am a major influence in some of my students' lives. In basketball, I think it's important that I be able to demonstrate as much skill as possible. Not to mention, I like playing with my girls sometimes :)
  • marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I graduate in december as a special education teacher... it's almost unreal that all I have left is student teaching and then I am done :)
  • bpetlock
    Options
    I graduate in december as a special education teacher... it's almost unreal that all I have left is student teaching and then I am done :)

Congratulations! I'm still working toward my associates. I can't wait until I'm done with everything. I commend you. Special education is not easy.
  • bpetlock
    Options
    I teach and coach girls varsity basketball. It's extremely important for me to be in shape. I know that I am a major influence in some of my students' lives. In basketball, I think it's important that I be able to demonstrate as much skill as possible. Not to mention, I like playing with my girls sometimes :)

I agree that it's important to be in shape (even if you're not coaching but especailly then!) I remember as a teenager that I was sadly disrespectful to my gym teacher who was overweight but I remember thinking "why do we have to be fit when she isn't?" Young children are especially influenced by the adults they are exposed to. They learn by example.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and head football coach at one time.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    I am a teacher i teach 5th grade. :flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching for 36 years. Started in high school English; moved to junior high English and French, did some Freshman Comp at a community college and now am doing junior high reading, the yearbook, and am starting a new program for at-risk kids. I've had a long and satisfying experience, but if I were 22 again and I saw what was happening to the U.S. education system, I'd certainly think twice and probably do something else. I'm hoping to hold on for eight more years, but I don't know.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ive been a teacher and soccer coach for 5 years. This year I am going straight teaching because I want more "me" time, instead of working 60 plus hours a week all year. I can't wait to have a schedule where I actually get out of work at 4:00, and can spend an hour or two at the gym on a regular basis. I think it is going to be good....

But anyhow, yes...being healthy is always good. Teaching is a stressful, yet rewarding job. You need all the energy you can get to make it through the day.

Sadly, 75% of new teachers leave the field within 3 years, and 90% within 5...at least in Texas. I love teaching, but I have never worked a job that makes me so tired. Your diet and health will be more important when you start teaching than ever!!!
  • pushnhard
    pushnhard Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi-
    I teach 6th and 7th grade:wink:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm a Social Science Education major with a Political Science minor. Not quite a teacher, but want to be! :smile:
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    7th and 8th grade history/social studies :)
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm not a teacher but I work with kids and it def motivates me to lose weight faster just because how honest they are. I've had children ask me if I'm pregnant...and it just gets embarrassing sometimes...especially if a parent is watching lol...
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I teach elementary school music. You can meet lots of teachers in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/350-teachers-take-charge
  • foremate
    foremate Posts: 38
    Options
    I teach 6-8 middle grades science.
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one for a long time!
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    I teach K-1st.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I teach 6-8 middle grades science.

I don't think I could ever teach middle school. I applaud you. :flowerforyou:
  • mytime44me
    mytime44me Posts: 35
    Options
    I am proud to say I teach 1st grade. It is important to be in shape to teach the little ones. I'm always getting down on the floor with them or kneeling next to their desks. I hardly sit still.
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I teach high school science and Tae Kwon Do. But the most important thing I try to be is a positive roll model, in terms of health and behavior!
    ps: Enjoy your summer vaction! We earned it!!!
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been teaching for 5 years. :) I teach special education middle school and high school English.