How do I track standing?

Options

Replies

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean at all, but I seriously thought this was a joke.
    But hey, if this really burned calories for you it's a good thing.:smile:
  • Kenhabes
    Kenhabes Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    Wow - this thread did get pretty snippy. I'd say log it. If you're trying to keep track of things that are outside your normal and standing does burn more calories than sitting. There are lots of studies about desk workers being healthier if they stand, rather than sit, at desks.

Good luck, friend! :)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My 8:30-5 job involved more than 50% sitting down. If I do any extra standing or walking, I never log it as I feel it is not enough of a difference to actually add it. If I don't sweat, I generally don't log. But as you said, it is your diary, and you wish to track every stride.

With that being said, IF I were to log it, I would probably select maybe 30 minutes of a 2.0mph walk. That would put you in close proximity to what your body would normally do sitting down.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Did you elevate your heart rate? If not, you probably shouldnt log it.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/26/4/729.long

Per this non-anecdotal, non-"gut feeling," non-bro-science, actual, peer-reviewed science, you can burn up to 350 additional Calories per day JUST by standing instead of sitting for 2.5 hours. That's up to 1 pounds of fat lost per ten days. I don't think she's "cheating" or logging BS. Maybe she's just better (more precise) at logging than you. YMMV :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

When we see posts like this we must restore balance to the universe
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a joke when i first read it. I personally wouldn't log it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Of course you burn more calories standing then sitting. WTF people? Is it a lot? Not for 10 minutes, but this was 3 hours. Approximately 150 to 180 calories extra burned according to some links posted. If you're set at sedentary that isn't included in your normal daily activity.

I actually find standing all day MUCH harder than walking. It kills my back.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would just not log it in and be super excited if the scale showed a difference at weigh time. Even though it's something, for me it would probably only compensate for something I didn't accurately measure. Your choice. I understand as I have a sedentary job too.
  • NoChub4Me
    NoChub4Me Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm sorry, I thought this was a joke too. What's next, logging "exercise" calories for sleeping? :laugh:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You count it as NOTHING.
    How is that?
  • raindance_maggie
    Options

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

bingo.
  • territhefrog
    territhefrog Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If your body is moving, wouldn't you be burning at least some bit of calories? Just curious? I don't log all the walking I do.....like walking to the bathroom....but I do log when I am washing dishes as clean light/moderate effort....this is because I don't do a lot of standing or walking due to a medical condition.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Considering how much my body hurts after standing for long periods of time (more than 2 hours), I consider it exercise and most OTHER sites do as well. http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi says I burn 397 standing for 3 hours vs 253 sitting at a computer. I'd use the difference. Everything you do outside your normal daily routine counts. Especially when you're just beginning. For some of us, that walk to the mailbox used to seem 160 miles and just putting the dishes away was a battle. :)
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    you dont, now go work out for real
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I just supervised a three hour exam, which meant strolling around and standing still for 3 hours.

I'd like to track this "activity" but I typed in "standing" and nothing relevant came up.

Ideas?

Standing? Like, standing still?

THAT'S NOT EXERCISE.

But if you must log, log .0000001 calorie burned for every 5 hours standing.

Please don't cheat yourself.

It may not be true "exercise" but it can increase your heartrate (Standing versus sitting increases my personal heartrate by 20 bpm) and it can burn up to 50 calories per hour more than sitting does. I have tested this on myself (so this is largely anecdotal) so I know that for myself this is true. So why can it not be true for others? Grab a heartrate monitor and check it out.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Did you elevate your heart rate? If not, you probably shouldnt log it.

I agree ! If you did not sweat or raise your heart rate then it is not worth tracking.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    My brother is in the marine corps and they would tell them to stand at the desk because it burned more calories than sitting. Whether it's true or they just wanted them to stand instead of sit, I don't know.

What I do know is that standing about for a few hours isn't what I would call exercise so I wouldn't log it in my exercise log. If you did burn a few more cals than normal, just call it a bonus and move on.
This discussion has been closed.