How do I track standing?

Options

Replies

• nomadlady7
    nomadlady7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I typed in standing, it came up with two options. Fishing, standing on bank. Also playing guitar on stage.

I usher for concerts, so I spend hours standing and walking up and down the aisle. It requires more energy than laying down as some people reported. I could try recording calorie burn with my heart rate monitor to see if it gives an accurate reading.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    OP - remember we burn calories every single minute of the day, every breath. I applaud your commitment! But in this case my opinion is...it's so minimal it's not worth logging. You would have been burning calories anyway. Now if this becomes part of your routine where you're doing it everyday you might want to invest in a HRM to insure your getting an accurate read on your TDEE and activity level so you can set it accordingly on MFP.

Think of it this way - if I went to a concert and stood all night occasionally tapping or sway to the beat I would not log it. Even though I know I burned more than watching TV at home. It's just an isolated event.

Best Wishes!
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Frankly. If you have extremists who log _every_single_calorie_of_food_they_eat_and_the_air_they_breathe_ (I'm part of that camp, btw - so no hard feelings :ohwell: ), then I guess you can have people on same end of that spectrum in the exercise camp...

Myself, I follow standard if it's outside of your normal day to day activities _and_ if feel it was significant enough to log - then I log it.

Mixing up your sitting with standing _is_ healthier for you. (Sitting is the new smoking, right?) But in regards to caloric expenditure, it is not something significant enough for me (personally) to log.

Same goes for cooking and mall-trolling. Normally, I don't log them. BUT. I have rare days, usually during holidays or events, when I have marathon 4-6 hour cooking sessions that are probably pretty close to what you would do for a home catering business - in that case, I may consider logging it, only if I felt I burned. Otherwise - I don't log cooking. Some days I have marathon errand sessions because I only have one day free during the entire week...and crank something upwards of 25,000+ steps - in that case, I may consider logging shopping/errands - otherwise, I don't.

Common sense really. And if you're honest with yourself, you'll know when you enter it if you feel like it was truly "exercise" or just you reaching for straws. :tongue:
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

For me at 188 pounds 305 cals for 3 hours standing. I would only log 2 hours though personally as they probably over estimate.

Hope this helps.
    you need to understand that of that 305, 200 of it is burned just from being alive. you only burned 100 from the actual act of standing over sitting. Hope you realize that.

Thank you, I will certainly give that information the due consideration it deserves and bear it in mind for the future.

Question: Does that mean that I need to deduct 200 calories per hour from all my excercise as I am alive when I do them? Mostly anyway :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't. It's really not a caloric drain over your BMR. Don't give yourself a reason to eat anything extra for basically being alive for 3 hours

MFP has already weighed in on this debate.....but not making "standing" a trackable cardio category. They have like 15 different types of walking, but no standing.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

i count it when i watch maury because i get up and dance with the potential fathers when they read the results...
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Don't. It's really not a caloric drain over your BMR. Don't give yourself a reason to eat anything extra for basically being alive for 3 hours
    this
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't count it.
    But it's your body and your weight loss so it's your decision.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    i count it when i watch maury because i get up and dance with the potential fathers when they read the results...
    I have to admit to dancing with the guy when he found out he "was NOT the father"! Saw that on YouTube and it's frickin' hilarious.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and log it ... when you come back and want to know why you're not losing any weight a couple weeks from now, the 'jerks' will tell you you're logging things as exercise that aren't.

Jerks are gonna jerk, really. But you're cheating yourself by logging a leisurely activity as exercise no matter how you slice it.

Wow...lots of replies so I'll make mine short. I really like this one the best. I can see how standing may be seen as a calorie burning activity by some, but I think the intention of the exercise tracker in MFP was to track those activities where some movement and heart rate elevation is involved. If you choose to track something like standing based on some of the feedback here or based on your own reasoning, I think you'll be padding your results in the long run.

Good luck whatever you decide.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

For me at 188 pounds 305 cals for 3 hours standing. I would only log 2 hours though personally as they probably over estimate.

Hope this helps.
    you need to understand that of that 305, 200 of it is burned just from being alive. you only burned 100 from the actual act of standing over sitting. Hope you realize that.

Thank you, I will certainly give that information the due consideration it deserves and bear it in mind for the future.

Question: Does that mean that I need to deduct 200 calories per hour from all my excercise as I am alive when I do them? Mostly anyway :smile:

All exercise calculators and HRM's include BMR as part of the total calories burned. And it's not 200/hour. You said that was over 3 hours. I just gave a quick response based upon knowledge from tests that standing is about a 30% increase in calorie burn over sitting. so thats 100 vs 200. I have no idea if the numbers you gave were accurate though.

It's tough to give a static answer of what your BMR is while awake as it's different for everyone. But for you, about 100cal/hour is prob close, give or take 40 either way. Thats while awake though. While sleeping it really drops. But if your HRM says you burned 500 calories during your hour of cardio, expect about 400 of that is from the exercise and 100 would have been burned anyway.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm appalled at the sarcastic jerks and whatnot this thread has garnered. Standing does burn calories. Standing on one foot is even better (I do this all the time when I'm waiting for the bus or brushing my teeth.) Is it enough that I personally would log it no but to each their own.
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you Saiklor for posting this. :wink: I support your wanting to understand and learn more about the most effective way to log in your progress. So I will contribute to your topic in a more "positive manner".

This community is to be a place of learning, educating yourself to a more healthier lifestyle. It is a place where others can make MFP friends who are on the same journey. To "BE" an "Inspiration", to help "motivate", to "encourage others", to "cheer" and applaud each others successes. :flowerforyou:

♦♦ I cannot believe all of the negative & obnoxiousness comments that MFP folks have left on your topic!!! I am so disgusted with ALL the "Egotistical MR. & MS I know it all!" { specifically mrmanmeat :devil: }
    Some of you need more than just a change in your physical appearance....maybe a visit to a Physiologist....to fix, heal your emotional being. I would suggest to swallow a pill that will help your issues of being so cocky, rude, and disrespectful called
    "HUMBLE". :laugh:

Oh, the word I am look for is called "Narcissistic personality disorder" (NPD) is a personality disorder.
    I now that some of you, who make these inappropriate, negative and uneducated comments on the MFP forum do not take it upon yourself to research, educate and learn new ways of doing things.
    So I took it upon myself, for your benefit, to find what a "Narcissistic personality disorder" means. It is, in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy both physical and emotional, power, prestige and vanity. It appears that the exact same individuals that you find in a gym and also on MFP!!! ♦♦

It appears that some of you take the MFP exercise "database" as the only source of how many calories are to be burned on a particular activity or exercise.
    It would be a positive for those of you to "EDUCATE & RESEARCH" before speaking any of your 'OPINIONS AND COMMENTS".

With that all being said and to put those in they're place......

I just wanted to share a new discovery I made yesterday. I found a Free Android App & iphone App called
    "Calories Burned Calculator".

I was amazed on how many different activities that it had. It includes "Standing",
    "Standing while singing" (for those who sing in they're church choir), "Sitting", "Sleeping"

It even has for Pole dancing, All aerobics, Pilates, Tae Bo, Kinect XBOX 360 (Dance Central), WII workout games, All of the DVD's for Billy Blanks, Bob Harper, Biggest Loser, Chalean Extreme Workout, Denise Austin, Insanity, Jillian Michaels, Kim Kardashian, Leslie Sanson, Les Mills, P90X & P90X2, Paul Katami, Tapout XT workouts, Turbo Fire, Zumba. If ya'll did not know about it...check it out! It is very helpful and has more than the MFP exercises. You will have to set the calculator to your current weight. Everyone will burn a different amount of calories based on they’re weight.

I was amazed for myself that sleeping for 8 hours is 480 minutes=695 calories burned.
    Sitting at the computer/studying 1 hr=218 calories burned.

So thank you, for helping me burn all of these calories it took to sit here and respond to helping "Saiklor" with an answer to her questions. I hope that this will also help others who are also looking for another source to record the calories that you burn in ALL of your daily activities.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Do people only read the title when commenting in a thread? She walked around the room while proctoring the exam, when she would normally have just been sitting at her desk. She was looking to log "standing" only because she did more of that than walking. It is exercise that she normally doesn't have during her work day. You may not think it's *great* exercise because you're all bad @ss gym rats, but she wanted to log this. Why so mad?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just supervised a three hour exam, which meant strolling around and standing still for 3 hours.

I'd like to track this "activity" but I typed in "standing" and nothing relevant came up.

Ideas?

Standing? Like, standing still?

THAT'S NOT EXERCISE.

But if you must log, log .0000001 calorie burned for every 5 hours standing.

Please don't cheat yourself.

I award you the "most honest" medal -- ha! well said sir :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Do people only read the title when commenting in a thread? She walked around the room while proctoring the exam, when she would normally have just been sitting at her desk. She was looking to log "standing" only because she did more of that than walking. It is exercise that she normally doesn't have during her work day. You may not think it's *great* exercise because you're all bad @ss gym rats, but she wanted to log this. Why so mad?

Yes but I still think even with leisurely strolling about the room on and off for 3 hours the calorie output would be minimal and she would be cheating herself to log it!! As it is MFP overestimates our calories burned through exercise. IMO this would be over-estimating what you burned for the day.

OP - are you set at sedentary or lightly active?
  • indianadancing
    Options
    I have a disability and have been very sedentary for quite some time. Today I enthusiastically started this program hoping that an earnest commitment to diet and movement - particularly one that included your camaraderie, commiseration, and community support - would help me regain some fitness and quality of life. I am absolutely gobsmacked at the number of snide, mean, and inappropriate comments posted. I quit.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I only log actual workouts. I don't log times that I had to walk more than I normally do. I don't even log going for random walks just to get some fresh air. My OPINION, and I realize not everyone will agree, is that logging minor activities solely because they are outside your normal routine is counterproductive if your goal is to lose weight or even to learn healthier eating and exercise habits. People may say they aren't logging stuff just so they can eat more, but that is what ultimately happens. You are creating (in your diary, anyway) a larger caloric deficit or masking a caloric surplus. And when you close your diary and it tells you that you should lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks and you don't lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks, you get frustrated and think something is wrong, when the only thing that is wrong are your logging practices.

I get that people are going to do what they want to, regardless of what everyone else tells them, but when you ask for opinions, that's what you're going to get. If you only want to hear that everything you are doing is 100% correct, this is not the place to ask.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

All exercise calculators and HRM's include BMR as part of the total calories burned. And it's not 200/hour. You said that was over 3 hours. I just gave a quick response based upon knowledge from tests that standing is about a 30% increase in calorie burn over sitting. so thats 100 vs 200. I have no idea if the numbers you gave were accurate though.

It's tough to give a static answer of what your BMR is while awake as it's different for everyone. But for you, about 100cal/hour is prob close, give or take 40 either way. Thats while awake though. While sleeping it really drops. But if your HRM says you burned 500 calories during your hour of cardio, expect about 400 of that is from the exercise and 100 would have been burned anyway.

You are a very serious person aren't you?. :smile:

But advice is always welcome :flowerforyou:
  • KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options

Yes but I still think even with leisurely strolling about the room on and off for 3 hours the calorie output would be minimal and she would be cheating herself to log it!! As it is MFP overestimates our calories burned through exercise. IMO this would be over-estimating what you burned for the day.

OP - are you set at sedentary or lightly active?

Very early on in this thread she stated her activity level was set on sedentary - the lowest possible. That's what she was trying to say as she was being bashed for asking a question.
This discussion has been closed.