So you exercise to eat?

Options

Replies

• lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

www.panerathon.com

No ****. They have Panera Bread pastries available for post-race consumption.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!

What an odd thing to post about. Why would you care? You do yours, they'll do theirs, I'll do mine and we'll all live happily ever after. Do you see where I'm going with this, OP?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Do you really work up a sweat strolling through the mall????
    I'm sure some people do. Why do you care how others exercise?
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    I absolutely love this!!!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

Really? The last 5K I ran, the finish line buffet consisted of donuts, beer and pizza...among other things! It was awesome! :bigsmile:
  • macpatti
    Options
    Well, come run the Houston Marathon........we have beer at mile 21!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Live and let live.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lol! Thanks so much for the laugh:-)
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I used to be a member of gym here, who gave out free pizza once a month to members, right in the gym lobby!!! really?!?! guess they are just trying to stay in business!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!
    Passive-aggressive much? You couldn't send this to the person you have an issue with?
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this!!!

What do you love about it? The ignorance or the condescending tone?
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Beyond tracking exercise to eat - I've seen people gain calories for drinking cold water!! Surely that's clutching at straws even more than logging a walk around the mall.

When I had my cals set low that I needed to work for exra cals I could see why people would log everything. I didn't, but on hungry days I was tempted!! Lol
  • KarenReichel
    Options

Just curious how many people get jealous of the 2 pounds you have lost? Must be enough to make you angry enough to write this garbage.
  • kathym59
    kathym59 Posts: 51
    Options
    . Do you really work up a sweat strolling through the mall????
    [/quote]

Depends if the sales are on, !!!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Question - I'm new to MFP and am confused on the counting of calories. If i'm allowed to eat 1200 a day and then exersice and it now says my daily goal intake of calories is 1400 - should I still be only eating 1200. won't it say that I'm not meeting my calorie intake? Will my body think that I am starving it or is the 1200 enough? Can someone please explain who this works? Thanks. Tina

I "break the rules" when it comes to MFP. I eat 1,700 calories a day and don't count exercise (unless I run more than 10 miles). If you are eating less than a net of 1,200 calories then you can do damage to your body. There are several people on here who eat less and are "fine" and lose weight. I personally can't eat under 1,500 calories and lose weight. If I do a long workout and I'm hungry then I have an extra protein shake. I'm not scared to go 100-200 calories over my daily goal and often I'll do more. I don't even track my workouts and in the last 8 days I've lost 3 pounds (I just haven't added the last pound to my ticker). I lost 20 pounds last year (til I started dating my fiance and landed the most stressful job ever where I was surrounded my junk food and sweets constantly.). I gained 10 back and I'm around 3 pounds down ;) My goal is 130 by Oct and I have no doubt in my mind I will make it and mantain it because I'm not restricting myself to the point of cracking and I'm doing something I can live with for the rest of my life!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Question - I'm new to MFP and am confused on the counting of calories. If i'm allowed to eat 1200 a day and then exersice and it now says my daily goal intake of calories is 1400 - should I still be only eating 1200. won't it say that I'm not meeting my calorie intake? Will my body think that I am starving it or is the 1200 enough? Can someone please explain who this works? Thanks. Tina

I eat all of my exercise calories back. MFP is designed this way because it does not ASSUME that you will exercise. Some people can't/won't exercise. The calorie deficit is built in .... if you exercise the deficit is even bigger. Too much deficit can stall weight loss, among other problems.

Be careful when calculating calories burned .... many machines & MFP overstate. Some people eat a % of calores back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    You know, I exercise to burn off the accumulated fat I have, not to be able to eat more. I'm sure this will piss off the OP: I'm walking to Dairy Queen and having a dipped cone. :P
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Donuts? I ran my first 5k this past Saturday (and yes i got laughed at by quite a few people because i am fat and i run) but instead of diving into the muffins like a lot of people (i did have one), i chose to get a banana and a nature valley bar and walk the extra 1/2 mile that i parked my car instead of taking a golf cart. :)
  • hippypippy84
    Options
    This made me laugh and pee a little!! (Thats gotta be a pound off?!?)
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've read multiple times that running and walking actually burns the same number of calories (not sure how but that's what they claim). So if someone wants to multitask and put the 5 or 6 hours they walked around the mall for exercise....just for it! It's still exercise and it's not like walking for 6 hours around the mall is a daily thing.

The same goes for cleaning. I sure wouldn't bother tracking making the bed, doing the laundry, etc....but there are some heavy spring cleaning sessions at the lake house which isn't used for months or mowing our 3-lot lawn in 100 degree weather where I am just as exhausted as when I get done with a run or Insanity session.

Point is, you can't control someone's else's workout. As long as they are working out and showing success, good for them. If they're complaining they're not losing weight fast enough, ignore them. Deep down they know why.