So you exercise to eat?

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this!!!

What do you love about it? The ignorance or the condescending tone?

I like both. They play well to my need to feel smug.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!

Just curious how many people get jealous of the 2 pounds you have lost? Must be enough to make you angry enough to write this garbage.

Well, when she goes off on me saying I lied because she saw "the crap" I eat (Yeah, I eat fast food and crap) and she's logging how many times she went up the stairs at work it does get to me. She also has a "business" relationship to me so I can't exactly tell her how I feel.

You don't think she'll be able to infer who you are talking about on this public forum that anyone can access?
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this!!!

What do you love about it? The ignorance or the condescending tone?

Amen.
  • akshunj
    akshunj Posts: 4
    Options
    I giggled. Thought that was the point
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't count anything as exercise EXCEPT for my brisk walk every morning ( well nearly every morning- have had the flu pretty bad and it is Winter here Down Under). Anything else such as a walk to and from shopping centre, housework, etc just doesn't get counted. I try to manage between 60 and 90 minutes of brisk walking and that gives almost another third of my calorie allowance for the day. Sometimes I still go over, if we have dined out and I have had a couple of wines but the thing is just stick to doing your best to stay under your allowable calories. I try to cut back a little the next day, not by skipping meals that is a big No No, but lighter choices, still having 3 meals 3 snacks. Working for me slowly but surely. Everyone has to just find what works for them and stick to it.
    Anyone who is logging activities that haven't really burnt a lot of calories but eating the extra food anyway, well their scales will tell them the truth.
    In saying that though, if you run a half marathon (wish I was able to ) and want a doughnut when you're finished , go for it. ( that is ONE doughnut, though not a stack of them. Life is to be enjoyed and occasional treats are part of life too. :D
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Donuts? I ran my first 5k this past Saturday (and yes i got laughed at by quite a few people because i am fat and i run) but instead of diving into the muffins like a lot of people (i did have one), i chose to get a banana and a nature valley bar and walk the extra 1/2 mile that i parked my car instead of taking a golf cart. :)

To hell with those that laughed at you! I commend you for running a 5K, I won't even run one and I am an avid runner! Keep up the awesome work!
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Renae_nae burned 86 calories doing 60 minutes of "Getting all freaked out about how other people track their exercise on MFP"
  • StarIsMoving
    StarIsMoving Posts: 437
    Options
    My 5k in June was called the muffin run and I ate lots and lots of muffins. Yummy muffins. They were awesome!

I do exercise so I can eat. All those yummy calories. And the beer. And the spanish coffees. I need to run half marathons just so I can keep up with my alcohol addiction.

I don't judge people though. No point. I don't burn any calories doing that.

This cracked me right up!!!!! Well said :)
    P.S. If you are ever in a bind, Vodka has less calories, LOL!!! ROFL :)
  • HausOfTina
    HausOfTina Posts: 92
    Options
    The other day I spent 40 minutes cleaning out my car... I was sweating within 5 minutes and had sweat dripping until I came in to sit down. I think this definitely counts as exercise.
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hey if I shop or clean for over 3 or 4 hours, I definitely log it! I sit at a desk all day and have my diary set to 1200 cals. It IS extra calories burned, compared to watching TV, etc. You're being a bit rude in my opinion.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!

Two things.....#1 - When I run for 20 minutes I burn approximately 325 cals.....Thats substantial enough for me to record. #2 - I dont get this part....."please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight "......your ticker says you have only lost 2 lbs?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite though is when people track obnoxious calories and I see things like " xxxx burned 987 calories, cleaning"

WTF?! what kinda of CRAZZZZY cleaning sessions are you doing?

im sorry i had to reply...when i have crazy numbers like those under cleaning it is because i have a huge house and i just vacuumed/steam cleaned the whole house non stop!
  • ironmom77
    ironmom77 Posts: 45
    Options
    The Krispy Kreme Challenge!! You run 2 miles, eat a dozen donuts, then run back! It is AWESOME!!

http://www.krispykremechallenge.com

Also, as a marathoner/triathlete, I routinely burn over 1000 calories in a work out. I track this with my Garmin watch, and Garmin bike computer (never run or ride with out them), and yes, I drink it back as beer or eat it as junk food. Why else would I get up a 4 AM to work out???
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite though is when people track obnoxious calories and I see things like " xxxx burned 987 calories, cleaning"

When I clean my 4 bedroom house, lug a hoover up and down 3 flights of stairs, scrub 3 bathrooms, get down on my hands and knees to clean floors and clean umpteen windows on a saturday for 3-4 hours straight, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to log it. Albeit only ever as light and I only log half the calories the HRM says, even though I'm sweating more than when I do a hardcore circuit training session. What I don't get though, admittedly, is anyone who would log the simple mundane everyday things such as loading the washing machine or washing the dishes etc
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options

Just curious how many people get jealous of the 2 pounds you have lost? Must be enough to make you angry enough to write this garbage.

Well, when she goes off on me saying I lied because she saw "the crap" I eat (Yeah, I eat fast food and crap) and she's logging how many times she went up the stairs at work it does get to me. She also has a "business" relationship to me so I can't exactly tell her how I feel.

You don't think she'll be able to infer who you are talking about on this public forum that anyone can access?

I agree. I think this right here is going to blow up your spot big time. Also, who cares about what people log. The only one they are going to hurt by logging what you consider "irrelevant" are themselves. I personally have a lot of weight to lose and if I take a 15 min walk to my local store, I count that. I don't count it to eat but I count it to just make sure I'm tracking all my activity. Last week, I cleaned for over 2 hours and I worked up a mighty sweat and I was exhausted after that. When I logged it, I had burned over 400 calories, and I was proud.

Please don't judge people. People are going to do what they are going to do and the only thing you can do is to try and encourage them in the "right" direction. Instead of ranting on this forum, maybe you could say to her, why I don't go walking with you and we can double your last time and pick up the pace more. Try to encourage instead.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Who cares if we exercise to eat? Sometimes I enjoy being able to eat slightly more food so I'll do a little more exercise. It's not like it's unhealthy to do exercise even if we eat it back. It's still good for the heart and lungs. What's the big deal?
  • khloee1
    khloee1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your desire to rant. Everyone has they're own pet peeves and sometimes the pets overwhelm us.

Still, I can't help but think I must be dense, but I had difficulty picking out exactly what behaviors you were upset about. People planning for and balancing out extra calories consumed by exercising? Or people who are meticulous about their activity tracking because it helps them on their path? Or maybe it was people who run 5Ks for the sense of accomplishment and really enjoy a celebratory donut? Or people who simply aren't as successful as you at losing weight?

We all have different journeys to take. Personally, I don't log any of my activity at all. Not the walking, not the running, not the HIIT, not the lifting, not the gardening. Not nothing, not ever. Why do I exercise? Because then I know when I've tracked all my food for the day, in the evening when I want that Hershey's kiss and it tips me over my calorie goal, I know I'm not really backsliding. And I don't need the numbers on the internet to tell me that. I know it even when the numbers turn red.

But some people do need the numbers to stay green. It motivates. It congratulates. It comforts. And if it helps them lose 0.25 pounds since their last weigh in, even while someone else is successful at losing 2? More power to them!

I agree...nicely put. :flowerforyou:
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

RIGHT?! I had a friend (past tense, she eventually got deleted for pulling those shenanigans) who claimed she burned 1,100 from FOOD PREPARATION! Unless she was doing cartwheels and running around the house while the water boiled, I highly doubt the burn was that high.
  • kimberly3555
    kimberly3555 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile: Me too. I run for bud light...lol. My hubby cracks up at me. I can give up food but not my beer!!!