So you exercise to eat?

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!

Wow. You TOTALLY had me at 2 pounds since 2008. Yeah boy. I'm impressed. Or is it jealousy I feel a twinge of? Hmmmm... let me have a donut while I think on it. After all, I did use my HRM to figure how many calories I burned on my walk to the grocery store today....
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Renae_nae burned 86 calories doing 60 minutes of "Getting all freaked out about how other people track their exercise on MFP"

:laugh:
  • NannetteAdams
    NannetteAdams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @Jomalone2 - Get to work! LOL I see you! :laugh:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I like to check the food diaries of people who make rants like this to see if maybe they know something I don't. Yours is telling.

...I'm going to do the opposite of whatever you're doing, thanks for the advice though. And yes, I exercise to eat :)
  • NannetteAdams
    Options
    :smile: Me too. I run for bud light...lol. My hubby cracks up at me. I can give up food but not my beer!!!

Can I get an Amen!! It's Mich Ultra here! :drinker:
  • NannetteAdams
    Options
    Well said! Feel better now? lol

@Jomalone2 - Get to work! LOL I see you! :laugh:
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Although several people are kind of peeved about this conversation, I do find it interesting. It caused me to stop and think about what I actually log for exercise. Someone else alluded to this earlier... I think if you do something that is outside your typical activity and would put you above and beyond normal, it is worth logging. So, in my case, I might be able to log cleaning the house (LOL). I also log my time golfing - apparenely you burn about 80 calories per hole if you use a pull cart and I don't golf every day. If I walk around the mall for a few hours, I log that as slow walking - becuase I HATE shopping and it is a rare day that you find me in the mall or just shopping in general. I would not log time just running into Menards for the paint brush I forgot. I would not, log my time walking around my place of work because it is part of what I do every day. Most people on MFP are trying to lose or gain weight. MFP is a great tool when you use it honestly; it helps you figure out what you need to change to succeed, that includes cheating on what you record for exercise :-) Best wishes to everyone - I hope you reach your goals and then some!
  • dorkusmalorkus
    Options
    hold the phone smokey bones...youre saying i CANT run while suckin down a milkshake and inhaling a super size french fry and lose weight? fk me running. AHA!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite though is when people track obnoxious calories and I see things like " xxxx burned 987 calories, cleaning"

WTF?! what kinda of CRAZZZZY cleaning sessions are you doing?

RIGHT?! I had a friend (past tense, she eventually got deleted for pulling those shenanigans) who claimed she burned 1,100 from FOOD PREPARATION! Unless she was doing cartwheels and running around the house while the water boiled, I highly doubt the burn was that high.

Even so, how does it hurt you?

I just don't get why everyone is so into everyone else's business. Mind your own damn business. You do it your way, and they'll do it theirs! There are days that I do a lot of deep cleaning all around the house, and though I never report it on here, I know it's a crazy calorie burn. The other night, I was preparing a LOT of food for a potluck, and I literally cooked for over five hours and then finished in the morning. I didn't report it, but I know I took a lot of steps in that time--over 10,000! I know it burned SOMETHING.

But again--what the hell's bit of difference does it make to YOU what someone reports in their diary? NONEYA!

Grow up, people. You obviously aren't the food and exercise gods, or you wouldn't have to be tracking to lose part of your own excess baggage!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

My very thought....

(Although I might express a preference for coffee cake.)

raspberry cream cheese danish dash!

Let's pick a route and set up the website!

^^^ Like ^^^
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    My absolute favorite though is when people track obnoxious calories and I see things like " xxxx burned 987 calories, cleaning"

RIGHT?! I had a friend (past tense, she eventually got deleted for pulling those shenanigans) who claimed she burned 1,100 from FOOD PREPARATION! Unless she was doing cartwheels and running around the house while the water boiled, I highly doubt the burn was that high.

but my question si why the f uc k do you care what she is or isnt logging?! lame.
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I actually wore my HRM once while cleaning. Mostly because of those people. After 4 hours of cleaning (the entire house...up and down stairs), I barely burned 200 calories!
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more. I exercise so I can drink my wine. Why do YOU care what I do?

IMO it doesn't look like I have a problem with what I am doing.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

KK does races here that you have to eat 5 every mile you do LOL 5K race
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

My very thought....

(Although I might express a preference for coffee cake.)

raspberry cream cheese danish dash!

Let's pick a route and set up the website!

I'm in!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I've done a few with donuts. :love:

It's also the only time I'll eat them, so maybe that's why I love it so much.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

I run races with beer at the end. Much better than donuts. :)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

I just did that Saturday! Moved out a room full of furniture and then cleaned the carpets....a good 3 hours(just the carpet cleaning) of labor intense enough that I'm still sore from it. I do count cleaning as exercise if I work up a sweat doing it. I also log walking my dogs for 15-20 minutes because it encourages me to walk longer.

It sounds to me like you need to worry less about what other people do.
  • romanticizing
    romanticizing Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Uhh of course!

If I'm going out for dinner, I'll be thinking of that dinner as I'm exercising to motivate myself, after all, I want to burn that dinner off before I've eaten it.. right?
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!