Opinions needed...how much weight should I lose? w/ pics

Options
124»

Replies

• grey_goose_girl
    Options
    9 lbs is great! Congrats!

You are within the healthy body weight range for someone your height with a large frame. If you don't have a large frame (there are calculators out there to determine frame size from wrist and elbow measurements) the healthy weight range for someone 5'4" with a small frame is 104-127 and for medium it is 124-138. Google height weight and a variety of medical pages come up where you can see the various ranges. I am 5'9" and have a small frame and currently weigh 136 - which is smack dab in the middle of the healthy range for someone my height with a small frame. Frame size is really key - people with bigger frames can carry more weight and still look amazing, be healthy and feel great.

That said, you look like you carry your weight really well - so it is a matter of getting to a point where you feel beautiful and healthy and your body fat is in the healthy range to minimize health risks associated with excess BF. Try using the military body fat calculator to determine what yours is, check your frame size and then set your goals accordingly. Good luck!

My body frame is medium so I should probably aim to lose another 13 pounds, which would put me at 130 and right in the middle of my healthy weight range as well!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 143

I lost weight to be 140's at 5'4" for a long time. During that period of time, I lost a lot of inches doing P90X. Then I ended up losing 20 more lbs, to where I am now. No way could I lose more to be at 112, but I'm also older and have 17% body fat, I simply shouldn't lose more weight myself. I thought I was OK at 140's until I lost the last 20lbs... then I saw the difference. I'm no a small boned girl, no one ever looks at me and calls me thin, ever - Small...yes, never thin. My point being - the scale doesn't always speak the volumes. I did lose weight by quitting exercise for a month or two, only mild stuff, and eating less. As soon as I lost it, I started working out again - and I did it 10lbs at a time for 2 years in a row after that. The process to being fit has been long and slow, but I'm also much older.

I used P90X2 to finally get my body fat % down, and now am really only doing marathon training and staying the same size. At 140's I was a size 6 - everyone thought I looked good, or at least told me I did. Now I"m a size 0, so I DO think the "range" you are in is healthy, as I've been there, but I personally wanted more.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    no weight at all unless you want to look stick thin!
    you're perfect weight!
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you already look awesome. And it's not about the numbers, it's about looking and feeling good and healthy :)
  • grey_goose_girl
    Options
    Okay, so to everyone who said I should simply tone up, where do I start? I have P90X downloaded onto my computer...
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    This may be a case of trying look like what soceity deems as "Attractive" Like a model perhaps .. and those women are rarely healthy. Perhaps, building endurance and weight training to improve endurance and body contouring, but really the problem seems to phsycosymatic in nature. You may just need more training in being comfortable with your body. :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Opinion alert!

31lbs from where? You gonna cut an arm off? If that was my body...and holy smokes I'd be happy...I'd move to a small cut of my TDEE and start Stronglifts 5X5, New Rules of Lifting for Women or Chalean Extreme. At this point something with weights will take care of any remaining fat loss you'd like to see while giving you firm body.
    :flowerforyou:

^This. It's time to stop focusing on the scale.
  • Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You guys (& girls) are too sweet! I know I'm not huge but for me to look like this, I'd have to lose another 30+ pounds:

2elqkxj.jpg
    [/quote

You'd also need a PHD in Photoshop. Please don't look to models for inspiration! It is not realistic, or healthy. Most of the time even the models don't look like models until someone airbrushes half of them away. Just be your best you.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said...You look GOOD! No more weight loss, maybe just some toning... :happy:
  • mzpharrell
    mzpharrell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What do you weigh? You don't look like you need to loose any weight. No way 40 pounds. I'd go with weight training.
    ^^^^^^^^my thought exactly:-)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Agree with most of the other posters, I reckon you're smoking hot right now but if you feel that you need to change then I guess you could tone up. Wish I was in you shoes :)
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree, all photographs released by celebrities are photoshopped, don't draw anything from them (except that there are some fairly amazing computer wizards out there!)
  • YankeesLvr52
    YankeesLvr52 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have no earthly idea why you want to lose any weight at all...tone and firm...your weight is perfect already...31 more pounds and you would look anorexic....
  • Hairista
    Hairista Posts: 86
    Options
    I think you look great! But, agree with those who said to tone up. I don't see where you could lose 31lbs from. Good luck.
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Numbers are difficult to pinpoint ...appearance is a better guide. Second the idea to consult a doctor for guidance. Adding any muscle changes the goal (if you build more muscle, your goal weight should go up too). I though about the weight I was at eighteen as a goal for me but I am more muscular now than I was then so that weight is no longer attainable without losing strength which I would never lose willingly. For example, at eighteen, 5'5", medium frame and not muscular, I was 125lbs. My revised goal should therefore be 130-135lbs.You look more fit/muscular than I was at that time.

What I do suggest is that you look at foods that create bloating...a friend of mine got rid of a lot of bloat by eliminating carbonated drinks.

Good elimination is also important and makes a difference with appearance, you may wish to investigate ideal elimination and adjust you vegetable and fiber intake upward until you achieve it.