Iphone or Android... WHY?

Options
124»

Replies

• wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I love these debates because a lot of people seem to want to put down the other platform when offering advice. Both are quality platforms and both have features that would satisfy most users. I have never been in a situation where i wished my phone did something, and it didn't (except make me a sammich).

People love their phones.

People who have iPhones love them and they are more versatile than what people are giving them credit for. People who have Droid phones love them as well and they are wonderful phones with a multitude of applications.

If you had a Droid phone and have everything geared towards a droid world already, and you liked the droid, then I would stick with the droid.

If you have other Apple products (like an ipad) and enjoy those more than a droid, then maybe an iphone is a good fit.
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i have iphone and iLOVE IT!!!!! i used to have ****ty filp phone but i HATED It sooo i the iphone! oh wait have an ipad as well soo it was a GREAT fit for me!!! Other ppl not soo much!
  • obolton756
    obolton756 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i have an iPhone.. and love it, can't really comment on the android.. HOWEVER my boyfriend is an absolute technical genius, he is an app developer person for apple and he's not even 20 yet.. and he SWEARS by the iPhone :) but then again.. he could be biased...
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Droid for every reason someone has posted. I have used both and i like the Droid much better, i just like the freedom to add and customize the phone. Iphones are great, but i enjoy having options. I also love the fact the they will have app sales, so you can get great apps for cheap/free.
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If I had the flexibility to switch networks, I would get the Nokia Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7.5 on AT&T. I demoed the phone for a week and there a million reasons to love it. It's a nice combination between the simple elegance of iPhone and the customization and functionality of the Android. And the MFP app works great on it. If that's not in the cards for you, see my comments above about the strengths of iOS and Android. I lean toward more functionality and customization and have Android.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
    <=>
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love these debates because a lot of people seem to want to put down the other platform when offering advice. Both are quality platforms and both have features that would satisfy most users. I have never been in a situation where i wished my phone did something, and it didn't (except make me a sammich).

People love their phones.

People who have iPhones love them and they are more versatile than what people are giving them credit for. People who have Droid phones love them as well and they are wonderful phones with a multitude of applications.

If you had a Droid phone and have everything geared towards a droid world already, and you liked the droid, then I would stick with the droid.

If you have other Apple products (like an ipad) and enjoy those more than a droid, then maybe an iphone is a good fit.

To your point, you aren't just buying a device but an ecosystem. You should choose one that you are most comfortable and compatible with. Changing from one system to another isn't impossible, but it certainly isn't easy.
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    iPhone has an internal battery that you cannot replace if it goes bad or dies and is "i" exclusive. You can use your Android purchases on other toys. I HATE Apple's proprietary hold on my media and would never buy ANYTHING through iTunes.

ANDROID ALL THE WAY!!
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ...and no network is better than Verizon.
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    My screen on my HTC hero just shattered.. It's about 4 years old... Time for a new phone, but is it an iphone or android?

HELP!!?
    The HTC hero is a android. if you have been using android for 4 years stick with android. no use becoming a Imonkey and learning a new operating system. Also you get a new android system all your apps you ever bought or use transfer too it
  • qballjr13
    qballjr13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just went from a Droid X to the Razr...what a huge difference. I originally went in looking at the Verizon iPhones. Currently Verizon doesnt carry a 4G capable iPhone. I use my phone a lot to surf, facebook, twitter ect. The 4G makes all the difference in the world...it is wickedly fast on the Razr. Plus already having a Motorola I have all of the car chargers, home changers for it so now I have extra ones that I can leave at my office.

I would say Verizon definitely and Im sold on Droid. I agree with Meljoemom, Apple is way too proprietary!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My screen on my HTC hero just shattered.. It's about 4 years old... Time for a new phone, but is it an iphone or android?

HELP!!?
    The HTC hero is a android. if you have been using android for 4 years stick with android. no use becoming a Imonkey and learning a new operating system. Also you get a new android system all your apps you ever bought or use transfer too it

I know... I get all my apps... and numbers!! lol I am gonna stick to android. :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I just got an iPhone and so far I love it. It is very easy to use. Two of my good friends have iPhones and one has a Droid, and they all like their phones.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer Android, being a geek i like to tweak and mess with things and iOS is way too as is
  • F__7
    F__7 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    THE iphone is, was, and will be the best phone ever made!!!..
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
  • Droope2
    Droope2 Posts: 82
    Options
    I have the HTC One S and absolutely love it, it's one of T-mobiles newest phones and there is also the HTC one X which is the same phone just a different carrier (cant think of who right now) but I would never give up my androids, all 4 of my kids have androids also, I know a few people with Iphones who are just waiting for their contract to run out so they can switch, I love the fact that I don't have to pay for any apps or backgrounds or music and the HTC is so easy to use :)
  • heyitsadam
    heyitsadam Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have had both a Droid and currently have an iPhone 4S. If you have a Mac, get an iPhone because Macs, iPhone, and iPads all talk to each other through the Cloud and there's no syncing or cables. All the photos I take on my iPhone show up on my iPad and my Mac. I like that they all talk to one another.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I hear alot of people prefer Androids. Personally, I've used my friends Galaxys and I really like them (one was a SI and I think the other was a SII). I don't have a smartphone but when I can upgrade, I would like to get a Galaxy myself.
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As a user of both the iPhone and Android, I much prefer the Android. The main reasons I'm not an iPhone fan, One you have to pay several hundred dollars to even get the iPhone with a contract. Two, I have issues with phones where they need to be replaced and Apple Care sucks for insurance and Three, you aren't able to have an additional battery for those times when your out and not near a charger and Four, the screen size small on the iPhone I much prefer a larger screen when surfing the web and viewing photos etc. Five backing up to iTunes is a pain in the *kitten*. Six the iPhone is not offered with 4G service and that is a must.

If you already have an android phone it will be easy to transfer all of your apps, contacts, messages etc. in addition you also have additional chargers and car charges as androids all use the same charger.
  • biggsjm
    biggsjm Posts: 2
    Options
    Responding to jerbear67's post....

1. You can get an iPhone for free on contract (3GS). You can get an iPhone 4 for $99 and a 4S starts at $199.
    2. Apple Care is an extended support plan, not insurance. To get insurance, you can purchase it through fair trade or through your carrier.
    3. You might need an additional battery for an Android phone (my Galaxy Nexus running the latest version of ICS ALMOST gets through a day at work) but my iPhone gets a solid 7am to 10pm with pretty fair usage. If you are truly in need there are several options (such as a mophie juice pack or a slim stick) that can provide instant charging when away from power.
    4. Screen size - Agreed. The iPhone has a smaller screen size, but it's a phone that can be handled AND OPERATED by anyone with one hand. My hands are pretty big and with my Galaxy Nexus I often have to use two hands to perform some tasks.
    5. With iOS 5 and later all backups are maintained through iCloud or iTunes over Wifi. Anytime you charge the phone while connected to Wifi it is backing up apps, data, settings, songs, etc.
    6. "4G" is a marketing term . . . at least the way it is used today. I worked at one of the largest telecoms for almost a decade in a architecture role. The iPhone does not offer "LTE"... yet (it most likely will with the next update in the fall), it does offer access to HSPA+ which has transfer speeds up to 20 Mbps. TRUE "4G" is considered to be in excess of 100 Mbps. No public/consumer network currently in operation can support those speeds.

In the end the decision boils down to the following...

1. Do you want a phone that has clearly defined rules for accomplishing tasks, but allows for no variability, or do you enjoy testing out many different ways to accomplish a task and finding the one that works best for you and your tastes?

2. Do you want a phone that will be updated on a consistent basis with new features or do you want a phone that may not receive updates directly from the manufacturer but allows you to find and install custom software that may add additional features or customization to your phone?

3. Do you enjoy quality applications that all adhere to the same human interface guidelines, tightly controlled by a central authority or do you enjoy applications that have more functionality but with less "polish"?

Again, it all comes down to what type of person you are and what you are looking for in a phone. There is no right answer.