Call me convinced: I'm going low carb

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Hey! This is my thread. :bigsmile: It took about a month to adjust but 5 months later I'm still eating a low carb, high fat whole foods based diet and imagine I will be eating this way for the rest of my life.

I eat around 30g - 50g of total carbs a day but that's not set in stone (it's occasionally a lot higher when I indulge in fruit other than berries but still would be considered low by most standards I imagine), 80g- 100g of protein and probably 1,000 - 2,000 calories a day -- I eat when I'm hungry so if varies.

I'm not counting calories or carbs right now and I'm still maintaining my weight loss (65 lbs) with absolutely no effort on my part. I still have weight to lose though and I've completely slacked off on the exercise other than doing the odd push-up here or there so after the holidays I'll "get serious" again and start logging my calories and exercise. This is the diet I follow:

LCHF for Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I have read all of the studies on the doctors who did low carb on their hypertensive and diabetic patients and how all of their numbers went down along with their weight!!
    Yeah, one of the things in particular that convinced me after considering it a fad diet all of these years are the people using a low carb diet to not only treat but reverse their type II diabetes. If all of these diseases are linked together--which ALL doctors are telling us they are now--and a low carb diet can reverse one? That's awfully persuasive.

Even though I still have a lot of weight to lose, I have reversed T2 Diabetes with a controlled carb way of eating. My husband has went from 3 high blood pressure medications done to 1 and working on eliminating the last one.

My thyroid function has improved and I am lessening my dosage of medication there also. I don't have as many symptoms of PCOS either.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I've been on a faithful (I say faithful because i tried for two weeks prior to that and didn't do so well) keto diet for two weeks now. I've lost some weight (about 9 llbs) but I'm not sure how much of it is water weight.

It was tough at first but now I think (and hope) its more of a lifestyle. I've learned how to make a whole bunch of meals low carb. I learned how to deal with my cravings and how to satisfy them in a healthy way. During these last two weeks I was able to successfully go out to eat with friends and make smart choices. I feel great! I try to keep my macros at 10% carbs (Aiming to get no more than 20g of carbs) 60% fat and 30% protein. I also try to have abt 2 cups of veggies every meal (for fiber) but I don't count them in mfp. Still losing weight :)

Tomorrow is my carb day and I'm not counting the hours. I'm not all excited to get my oatmeal, sweet potato, etc tomorrow. Bacon sounds better haha!

The only thing I still haven't figured out is how to get my chocolate low carb... I love chocolate haha.

If you like dark chocolate then get at least 72% cacao, it is bitter but a square or 2 will be very low in sugar and very satisfying.

And there are antioxidants too.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am on a keto diet, but i banished the ketostix because they ere driving me crazy. I eat no carbs/sugar or dairy and one piece of fruit a day and it has worked for me. I was addicted before, now i dont crave that stuff

I have tons of energy and i fan workout fine, i went on 22 mile bike ride over the weekend

I am almost done with this restrictive phase of my diet and i can start sloy reintroducing these foods on ocassion

Warning: no carb doesnt meat eat all the meat, bacon, sausages you want. This is how some people interpret Atkins. I eat high but good lean protein

Yes, that is a huge misconception. People would shut up if they would look at just the Phase 1 allowable vegetable list. Then you start reintroducing carbs slowly so you can see how your body reacts to each food you reintroduce.

You are doing GREAT!! Keep up the good work!!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    meh
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I want to go low carb too but I don't know how to start. Which diet are you going to do?

I am not technically on a low carb diet, but when I shoot for 20 grams of low fat protein at each meal and stay within my calories goals, it drastically cuts the carbs. Try not to focus on lower carbs, but upping the protein.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I've been low carbing and I still have energy to workout twice a day. It's a process, this keto diet has helped me understand a lot about my body, my preferences and what kinds of food I eat/shouldn't eat. I don't think low carb is just low carb period, no more. It's a healthier lifestyle for me, and if I need to take it more carbs for whatever reason, I will. If I ever come across a problem, I will fix it. It's all a learning process.

I'm not really digging how folks say that everyone who goes on low carb and loses weight gains it back. Everyone is different, just cause it didn't work for you doesn't mean it wont work for someone else.

It's a process y'all.

People gain the weight back because they don't make it a lifestyle change.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    low carb is a great way to go and a lifestyle that I will probably never change from. I can honestly eat like this for the rest of my life. I always keep under 100g, but frequently hover around 50. I love my dark green salads and seafood!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Low carb can kinda tick me off sometimes.

Some low carbers - not all, mind - are so ridiculously zealous in their beliefs that carbs are the ONLY thing that makes them fat that they are nearly on-par with Vegans on my list of "Over the top dieters". Yes, I have a list.
    I dunno. I just find it both sad, yet amusing, to hang out with an old friend and be scolded for eating a "sugar loaded" banana, whilst she munches on her Atkins Endulge Bar and drinks her coffee with cream. Ruins a good cup of coffee, adding stuff to it...
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The greatest thing for me about low carb is the end of cravings therefore the end of the awful battle with craved foods that often ended my success that I'd worked so hard for, succeeding 90% of the time then failing badly 10%. I lost over 70 pounds twice; once on low fat, once on low carb and lesser amounts on same or other plans so I know anything works but for me low carb is happier and safer from the cruel cravings and I'm happier without mostly white sugar and rubbish bread and pasta! The food industry has done a great job of convincing us some rubbish is edible and good!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Low carb can kinda tick me off sometimes.

Some low carbers - not all, mind - are so ridiculously zealous in their beliefs that carbs are the ONLY thing that makes them fat that they are nearly on-par with Vegans on my list of "Over the top dieters"

Totally, but just as many vehement anti-locarb monkeys on MFP to balance them out. But honestly, adding cream to coffee is ruining it? Pot calling the kettle black sir!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Totally, but just as many vehement anti-locarb monkeys on MFP to balance them out.

Wait, what's "anti-low carb"? Is this just people who, uh, eat carbs? Confused.
    But honestly, adding cream to coffee is ruining it? Pot calling the kettle black sir!

Yeah. Coffee is beautiful when it's black, bitter and strong - not when it's tainted by thick cream or sugar. The only real acceptable thing (I find) to add to lack coffee is cocoa powder, or maybe some really dark chocolate.
    But each to their own; not my decision how you take your coffee.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've had my carbs set at 20% (fats 30%, protein 50%) which nets around 100 carbs. After reading an in depth article about the magic 100 carb number on testosterone nation, I was also convinced that was the way to go. It works for most people wanting to build muscle, and for those wanting to lose weight.

You won't go keto, and you'll have enough glycogen for daily activity. Workouts will run your glycogen out, and you will move to your fat storage for energy. The extra protein helps you retain your muscle while working at a calorie defecit.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Im on a moderately low carb <80 g/day, moderate low cal (~1400cals/day) - started tues and down 5.6lbs.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    bump outta interest
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    BUMP - want to keep this discussion. I am a low carber and loving it. Losing weight and feeling GREAT!!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You can take my baguette from my cold, dead hands!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes

saw this....stopped reading

ETA: /smh - who the heck bumped this cr@p?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    this is an old thread, let it rest. Taubes has some good info, some not so good, do your own research and figure out what works for you.